Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My review of Study.com "College Accelerator" service -- 6 credits for $199
Hey everybody,

I just took 2 exams today online from the comfort of my home via Study.com's "College Accelerator" service that I had mentioned in a previous post. Here I want to provide a summary of my experience.

Study.com (formerly called Education-Portal) is a website that allows you to take the following exams to obtain ACE approved credit:

Business

Business 101: Principles of Management
Business 102: Principles of Marketing
Business 107: Organizational Behavior

History

History 101: Western Civilization I
History 103: US History I

Math

Math 101: College Algebra
Math 102: College Mathematics
Math 103: Pre-Calculus
Math 104: Calculus

Science

Biology 101: Intro to Biology
Biology 103: Microbiology
Biology 105: Anatomy and Physiology
Environmental Science 101: Environment and Humanity
Science 101: Intro to Natural Science

Social Science

Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology
Psychology 102: Educational Psychology
Psychology 103: Human Growth and Development
Psychology 104: Social Psychology
Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology

Each course is worth 3 credits and you are able to take obtain maximum of 6 credits per month as they only allow you to take 2 credit bearing exams every pay period.

Study.com has 3 levels of service -- $49 for just the videos + transcribed video lessons, $99 for videos + transcribed video lessons + practice quizzes and exams or $199 for College Accelerator which allows everything in the other packages but also allows you to take 2 credit bearing exams.

To pass the course to take the exam you have to get 100% on all quizzes (ie: 104 videos in "Psychology 101" = 104 quizzes to pass). They are 5 questions each (for every lesson) and if you get any incorrect, they will show you which questions you got wrong and what the correct answer is. Essentially like an assisted open book exam. There is also a 30 question chapter quiz for every chapter (that are optional to take) that is a random mixture of the questions from all the previous lessons of the chapter as well as a 50 question "practice" final exam. Just like the 5 question lesson quizzes you are shown all the answers you got incorrect and what the correct answer is.

After you have passed all the quizzes for every lesson you are allowed to take the final proctored exam. You can literally take the exam anytime 24/7 as long as you have a webcam. Your screen and face are recorded so they see what you were doing during the exams and this video is reviewed by a human being at some point within the next 2 weeks. Once your score is calculated and the video reviewed to ensure you didn't cheat, you are emailed your marks.

The exams are 100 questions (multiple choice) and a 70% (or above) is a pass. You have 2 hours to complete them. The questions are very similar to the questions that you had during your lesson quizzes. Only small details are changed. I found them to be even easier that the lesson quizzes.

The proctoring fee is included in the $199.

I am waiting on my exam results (I took Psychology 101 and 102) but I have a good feeling I passed them as I was averaging anywhere from 80% - 96% during the 50 question practice exams I took and re-took close to 10 times. I would advise doing this to really get a feel for the material.

If you have any questions, ask away
Completed BSc in Business Administration (COSC) May 31st, 2017

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(Saylor) Business Law and Ethics
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
(COSC) Conerstone / Capstone
(Straighterline) Intro to Communications / Biology Lab / Business Statistics
Thanks for sharing your experience.
At one point Education Portal lined up with the Saylor courses (for their videos). Is this still the case? Basically, in theory, you could get the 2 credits from study.com plus use the service to pass the Saylor proctored exams at the same time. Right?
I'm not too familiar with Saylor but I have been looking at DSST and CLEP. Some of the courses duplicate DSST or CLEP. I've looked at study.com to take a couple of courses as an alternative to test centers. One course I was looking at was study.com Psychology 103 which is 3 credits. It appears to duplicate CLEP Human Growth and Development Exam which is also 3 credits. I think it depends on the school, but if the course/exam are too similar the school might not accept both for credit towards a degree program. DSST offers Life Span Developmental Psychology and CLEP offers Human Growth and Development which TESC considers to be duplicate. TESC also considers the DSST Criminal Justice and DSST Intro to Law Enforcement to be duplicates and will only award credit for one. In the past study.com was used as a study aide for DSST, CLEP, Uxcel, etc. but now a lot more courses have ACE credit recommendations which some schools will accept. It all depends on the schools' transfer credit policies.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
sheagang6 Wrote:At one point Education Portal lined up with the Saylor courses (for their videos). Is this still the case? Basically, in theory, you could get the 2 credits from study.com plus use the service to pass the Saylor proctored exams at the same time. Right?

I know that there is some overlap but I would argue it is best to learn the materials Saylor recommends because some of the questions on the exams come directly from some of their obscure readings

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
TinHead Wrote:I know that there is some overlap but I would argue it is best to learn the materials Saylor recommends because some of the questions on the exams come directly from some of their obscure readings

Tinhead, I see that you have used study.com for more than just psychology. I guess you like this method? My daughter is just finishing up AM. History 1, and we initially thought she'd be taking the CLEP, but we are now leaning toward their proctored exam.

Thanks for your post here and the great information!

I hope I'm posting this correctly. I don't post often. Smile
I would love to take the study.com test instead of the CLEP for chemistry. I have a feeling that it would be easier.
Sadly my school only takes selected CLEP and DSST classes. They got somewhat rude when I brought up other ACE options Sad.

How was the Math 104 Calculus?
Did you get into trig functions or was it purely business calc?
DSST - Technical Writing - 441
CLEP - College Composition - 69

Can only test out of 2 more classes for my degree:
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - TBD
Togas Wrote:I would love to take the study.com test instead of the CLEP for chemistry. I have a feeling that it would be easier.
Sadly my school only takes selected CLEP and DSST classes. They got somewhat rude when I brought up other ACE options Sad.

How was the Math 104 Calculus?
Did you get into trig functions or was it purely business calc?

You can choose the inexpensive Study.com option and study for the CLEP exam. They are aligned.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It is a great method. Videos / transcripts for all lessons. 5 question quizzes after each lesson. Chapter exams and practice final exams. Great support and the most affordable college credits. I'm a big fan

Study.com has some good information although some of their course material overlaps with other courses and can be confusing, mainly because I use two different browsers a url on chrome when pasted to internet explorer will have a different course number and chapter number so make sure you use just one browser and you'll do better, the material is aligned to CLEP and DSSt in most cases, I'd rather have a CLEP or DSST exam on my transcript than a Study.com Ace recommendation because more people are familiar with CLEP and DSST but that's personal preference.
The subscription for it is a bit pricey but if it saves time then its worth it. I find that instantcert gives greater value to me on many exam because I have to interact with the questions as I progress.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 4 85 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 125 11 hours ago
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,589 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 431 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,223 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,604 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 751 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,970 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 261 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM