Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
online masters cybersecurity
I finished my last two classes from TESU on Sunday, so I'm expecting to graduate in December with an associates in computer science, bachelors in liberal studies and certificate in psychology. I transferred in most credits from years ago but took 10 Sophia classes in a week or so to fill in some classes I had missed. I didn't get a bachelors in computer science because it would take me about as long as getting a masters and I was interested in going to grad school anyway.

I'm interested in getting a masters in cybersecurity. Since I don't have a bachelors in computer science Georgia Tech's program is out.

I saw WGU's cybersecurity masters. Is it reasonable to complete this in one term? 

Alternatively, Indiana University offers a similar program and offers CyberCorps scholarships. I'd have to work for the government for two years to pay it back but that's alright with me.

I don't necessarily need an accelerated degree but it would be nice. Cost is more important than time.

Any advice or information to other programs would be much appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes delightfulwilderness's post:
  • MNomadic
(09-28-2021, 10:57 AM)delightfulwilderness Wrote: I'm interested in getting a masters in cybersecurity. Since I don't have a bachelors in computer science Georgia Tech's program is out.

Not necessarily. The GA Tech OMSCyber has a policy track which doesn't require a CS undergrad. You do need to have some programming knowledge which I'm sure you have from your Associate's degree. 

Anyway, I'll be in a similar position to yourself soon and also looking into cybersecurity grad degrees, so I'll be following this post. Good luck with your search and let us know what you eventually decide!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • delightfulwilderness
The policy track now requires a CS degree (which honestly is good -- the non-CS policy students in the first cohort were struggling even in the "intro" course, as it has 4 CS based projects)

but similar fields or professional experience will also be considered, though it's bit tougher to get in that way
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • delightfulwilderness, jch, MNomadic
I have a good amount of programming experience through a combination of my own projects and contributing to open source software. I don't have any professional experience, though, so I think Georgia Tech's programs are out for me.
(09-28-2021, 01:30 PM)jsd Wrote: The policy track now requires a CS degree (which honestly is good -- the non-CS policy students in the first cohort were struggling even in the "intro" course, as it has 4 CS based projects)

but similar fields or professional experience will also be considered, though it's bit tougher to get in that way

That's good to know, and I did indeed read several reviews from people who failed out after the first class despite having some programming knowledge/experience/classes under their belt. 

The site and an info session I went to just a few weeks ago show 2 separate sets of admission criteria for the policy track, one for technical/CS/engineering undergrads and one for nontechnical undergrads. 

Quote:Applicants with non-technical backgrounds are expected to have:

-A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Business, Economics, International Relations, Political Science, Public Policy, Pre-law, or law degrees.
-One- to two-years of practical experience in the management or operation of information systems or networks.
-At least one college-level course in computer science or programming.
source

In your experience, would someone with just 1 or a handful of LL CS/programming courses but not a CS undergrad and little to no direct professional experience be able to take on the policy track?

The site and the presenters from the info session indicated that people without a sufficient background should be fine if they take an intro to computing in Python course from GTx. 

Quote:Applicants who are accepted into the program, and lack a sufficient technical background, are encouraged to take a computer science course to ensure success in the program (we recommend Introduction to Computing in Python). It your responsibility to start the program with this foundation knowledge.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
I just checked the admission page and it does still include the same language from your presentation. BS in CompSci or Engineering, or those items you listed for non-technical folks. For reference, the requirements for my cohort was a bachelors in ANY field, with no mention of technical proficiency. It was... dumb.

i had multiple cohorts with limited CS experience (such as a handful of LL courses) that got an A in the course. It can definitely be done, and folks with the kind of self-motivated drive that many of us have here on these forums that are willing to do outside/supplemental study will be able to do it. After you clear the intro course, at that point you could probably avoid any further technically-heavy courses by picking the right course options (though I'd advise against it depending on what exactly you want to do in the field, even if its a policy heavy career path you're looking at.)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • jch, MNomadic
I found a UWF online masters. It's about $13k, which is at the upper end of my limit. I like the specialization options.

https://onlinedegrees.uwf.edu/online-deg...rsecurity/

I'm doing more research into WGU's program since it seems likely to be the least expensive and fastest. I was laid off due to the pandemic and have been getting unemployment so I could theoretically work full time on WGU for a term. I am somewhat concerned about WGU's competency standard being a 3.0 and how this might impact admission to further education.
  • MNomadic
University of the Cumberlands has an online degree for $9800. I can't find how often they have start dates. Given my degree won't be conferred until December, I'm hoping for something to start in January. I also can't find how long the program is. In general, I'm finding them to be around 1 - 2 years.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...s-security
  • MNomadic
> I don't have any professional experience, though, so I think Georgia Tech's programs are out for me.

apply anyway 

does it cost anything to apply ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • delightfulwilderness
So another potential option for you to weigh would be PUG which has a Master's in cybersecurity management. The total is about $25k but you can transfer in about half of the degree via certs(if you already have some or want to get some). CISSP or CISM would cover about 5 courses. CySA+ or CEH would cover an additional non-overlapping course and CHFI would cover another.

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...Technology

https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/graduat...eeplantext

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...ion-exams/

There's also the MSIT degree with cybersecurity concentration where you can transfer in about the same amount of certs.

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...Technology

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 31 18,434 2 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 155 Yesterday, 11:21 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 296 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 765 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 507 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 360 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 643 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 550 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 703 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 399 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem