Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NCCA Accreditation/IAAP CAP
Does anyone know if NCCA accreditation allows for college credit?

I have earned the International Association of Administrative Professional's CAP certification. My community college gave me 24 credits towards the Associate's Degree and I can't figure out if I can put these towards my Bachelor's Degree.

All I know is that this is NCCA accredited, but not ACE accredited since 2011.
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

It isn't the accreditation that will determine this, but rather each school, as to whether they give credit for your cert. Some schools will give it, some won't. The ones that will give credit will also vary by how much they'll give you (kind of like EC will give something like 47cr for a Paramedic license, while TESU only gives 6cr).

You best bet is to contact the schools you're interested in to find out about getting credit for that particular cert.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Another possibility is if some of your local schools or state university system have articulation agreements with your CC that would cause them to take it because your CC did.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
It sounds like you didn't finish the AA through your community college. Per Dave's suggestion, if your community college does have agreements with state schools in your state, you'd be able to use those credits once they roll into the AA degree. It is unlikely that you'll be able to leave the community college with just a transcript (loose credits) and get your state school to take the credit.

But, you mention them being ACE evaluated at one time. If you took them while they were ACE evaluated (before they expired in 2011) you can get credit at any of the Big 3 and potentially a host of other colleges that allow for ACE credit.

One final thought, sometimes- though not always- it is faster and cheaper to start from scratch. There are colleges (not the big 3) that use prior learning or job certifications as a carrot to entice people to enroll. But, like an iceberg, you only see the top of what that looks like. The rest of the story can be that the remaining credits are time or money intensive- both of which can delay your degree and put you deep in debt.

24 credits is a lot, so it's worth working this puzzle for a few minutes before deciding one way or the other. Also know that it is possible to re-earn 24 credits for under $500 in 1 month. So, keep that in the back of your mind as you research.
(05-14-2018, 06:44 AM)cookderosa Wrote: 24 credits is a lot, so it's worth working this puzzle for a few minutes before deciding one way or the other.  Also know that it is possible to re-earn 24 credits for under $500 in 1 month.  So, keep that in the back of your mind as you research.

Between, OnlineDegree.com, ModernStates.org/CLEP, and the Study.com/Guardian scholarship, you could get enough credits to graduate from college for free!

Add Shmoop and Saylor, and you could spend $100-$200 and multiply the degrees you could get!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-14-2018, 06:44 AM)cookderosa Wrote: ...
One final thought, sometimes- though not always- it is faster and cheaper to start from scratch. There are colleges (not the big 3) that use prior learning or job certifications as a carrot to entice people to enroll. But, like an iceberg, you only see the top of what that looks like. The rest of the story can be that the remaining credits are time or money intensive- both of which can delay your degree and put you deep in debt.

24 credits is a lot, so it's worth working this puzzle for a few minutes before deciding one way or the other. Also know that it is possible to re-earn 24 credits for under $500 in 1 month. So, keep that in the back of your mind as you research.

Another aspect of the situation is what those credits come as. If they don't fulfill any particular degree requirement for you, then they can count for credit, but not be all that useful. That's one of the nice things about TESU, most of their degrees have substantial room for free electives so people can use more of their random credits. However, as Dfrecore pointed out, 24 random credits are easy to replace online, and some people get bogged down trying to rescue a handful of old credits that aren't worth the effort.

We could help you more if we knew what degree you were interested in, and what credits you had.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

Thanks for the recommendations!  

I did not specify - I did use the 24 credits towards my Associate's Degree Administrative Professional and will be graduating from Madison Area Tech College this semester. I've also earned an Office Assistant Diploma and Microsoft Office Diploma from MATC too.

(05-14-2018, 09:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 06:44 AM)cookderosa Wrote: 24 credits is a lot, so it's worth working this puzzle for a few minutes before deciding one way or the other.  Also know that it is possible to re-earn 24 credits for under $500 in 1 month.  So, keep that in the back of your mind as you research.

Between, OnlineDegree.com, ModernStates.org/CLEP, and the Study.com/Guardian scholarship, you could get enough credits to graduate from college for free!

Add Shmoop and Saylor, and you could spend $100-$200 and multiply the degrees you could get!

I'd love to see a degree plan to see how I can do this from scratch.  Last week I applied for the Study.com/Guardian scholarship but probably won't hear for quite a while on that.

Where can I find a good degree plan to start?

You can find sample degree plans here: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

If you'd tell us what kind of degree you were looking to earn and what credits you have, we could help more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua removes accreditation elcastor21 5 492 08-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 712 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Learning and Accreditation Alpha 0 483 10-01-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  5 Surprises about accreditation Alpha 0 554 02-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  International Accreditation Alpha 1 714 09-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Johann
  UoPeople going for regional accreditation SweetSecret 38 8,607 08-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jsd
  School's revocation of accreditation carebear_007 13 1,686 05-08-2021, 11:32 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  MSCHE accreditation regional? FastTrackDegree 4 1,031 03-27-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What are the steps to obtain CHEA accreditation? cecilgambe7 31 3,511 07-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  USDE Does Away With "Regional" (and "National") Accreditation Divisions DeanLewis 11 2,463 05-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Last Post: dfrecore