Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW (higher) CLEP EXAM FEE, effective July 1st 2017
I know how savvy and generally well informed everyone in this forum is, so this is probably posted elsewhere but I hadn't found it in my search.

This was posted on the site of my local community college testing center

***CLEP EXAM FEE INCREASE

Effective July 1st, 2017, the new CLEP fee will be $85.00. The current $80.00 fee will still apply to all exams purchased through June 30, 2017. If you have any questions regarding the new fee, please email clep@collegeboard.org
TESU Commencement - Saturday, September 23, 2017!

Goal: TESU, BSBA General Management by September 2017
68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month
Prin of Mgmt, Org Behavior, Bus Law, Prin of Fin (DSST)

November 2016
TESU Info Session (waived app fee + free breakfast)
Previous B&M - 45 cr. transferred
March 2017
Aleks - Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Intro to Stats
Institutes - Ethics
Guardian Scholarship Awarded 3/23/17
April 2017
Study.com - Personal Finance, Digital Marketing & Advertising
May 2017
World Religions, Pr. of Marketing
Well that is crappy, thankfully I only have 1 more to go and will be purchasing it later next week so still 80$. Luckily they only increased it $5 so really only 1.67$ more a credit which if you look at it that way doesn't make it sound so bad.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
No, it's not a huge price increase.

My college proctor fee went up though, so now it's almost $140 to take a clep. This will make it $145. There are so many cheaper options!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
sarg123 Wrote:No, it's not a huge price increase.

My college proctor fee went up though, so now it's almost $140 to take a clep. This will make it $145. There are so many cheaper options!

Wow! $145! And I thought I had it bad. I mean, of course someone will make the argument that "compared to tuition blablabla", but still. I almost want to believe that the campuses are feeling the pinch from all the "awakenings" that are happening because of forums like this....but I cant imagine that's true with the volume of folks that still think student loans are a necessary evil. The site I got this information about the fees from actually has a place on their site telling students that if they did not do well on their placement tests, to try ALEKS assessments and study modules ...and then to retake their placement exams. It mentions nothing of college credit via ACE etc. (Don't misunderstand - I totally get the 100 reasons why they wouldn't but I make that point to say) MOST people just don't know that there are alternatives and those people aspire to do the traditional thing, the traditional way. So brick and mortar schools are likely not in danger of losing any money from my little old Saturday morning, breakfast club style testing.

End of rant

68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month

November 2016
March 2017
Institutes - Ethics
April 2017
May 2017
B&M schools will lose a lot of money if people start testing out, so they are trying to keep these options quiet.

Almost all colleges and universities accept some CLEPs (but not Dantes), but the only way to find out about it is by researching the site. When I asked at my local CC about their CLEP policy, most of the people I asked (I'm talking about college employees) had no idea what I was talking about, but it was clearly spelled out on their site.

To me, taking CLEPs is a win-win situation for those who want a "real" degree - you test out of the "extra" classes and you still have your real degree.

Of course, the big three is a much, much better option altogether.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Modern States before? According to them, they provide CLEP vouchers upon finishing their courses (which seem to be free).
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra (1/17), Intermediate Algebra (1/17), Trigonometry (2/17). (9 crs)
ACTFL: Oral Proficiency (2/17). (9 crs)
The Institutes: Ethics (1/17). (2 crs)
NFA: Supervision (1/17), Community Safety (1/17). (2 crs)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (2/17), Essentials of Managing Conflict (4/18). (2 crs)
Study.com: Personal Finance (2/17), Human Growth and Development (2/17). (6 crs)
TEEX: Everyone (1/17), Business (1/17), IT (1/17). (6 crs)

36 ACE credits total.
sarg123 Wrote:Of course, the big three is a much, much better option altogether.

I have the luxury(?) of living in Jersey and actually being able to visit the campus and meet with the advisors (not that its made me any smarter), but I could literally walk there from my house. Honestly, this site has taught me more about "the college experience" than any persons I've encountered during this 10 year attempt. And now, my kid sister is on her way to college (taking her HS Senior year as a freshman at the CC)...so I've got all these jewels to share. Perhaps she'll be able to avoid some of the wastefulness in time and money that I wasn't able to by just following the steps provided here.

68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month

November 2016
March 2017
Institutes - Ethics
April 2017
May 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,259 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 615 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 954 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 674 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Global Convention on Higher Education Alpha 0 377 03-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Higher Ed Landscape Report Alpha 0 394 10-11-2022, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,847 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Publicly Traded Higher Education Companies Alpha 1 427 08-08-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore