Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Hospitality Management Courses Worth Time
Hi everyone, 

I've been looking to move up in my current job as a bartender. I'm one of the most well respected bartenders at our establishment. But there's a pretty strict divide between management and those pouring the drinks. Is it worth my time (in this job or transferring to another) to take some non university credit courses for hospitality management/restaurant management? Or should I just look into going back to school.

I found a good list of online non-credit hospitality management courses ( http://hospitalitymanagementdegrees.net/...t-courses/ ). Anyone have any experience with Udemy, study.com, alison hospitality management courses?
Well, if you just want to be a bartender, then you don't have to spend a moment going to school. If you want to move up within the business, then you probably need to ask your manager how to do that, by saying "I'm interested in being more than just a bartender someday; what would it take for me to become a ___ in this organization?" It may be that a degree is not required. If a degree IS required, then you need to figure out how to get a degree, and which degree that might be.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
(02-19-2018, 05:05 PM)cyberr Wrote: Hi everyone, 

I've been looking to move up in my current job as a bartender. I'm one of the most well respected bartenders at our establishment. But there's a pretty strict divide between management and those pouring the drinks. Is it worth my time (in this job or transferring to another) to take some non university credit courses for hospitality management/restaurant management? Or should I just look into going back to school.

I found a good list of online non-credit hospitality management courses ( http://hospitalitymanagementdegrees.net/...t-courses/ ). Anyone have any experience with Udemy, study.com, alison hospitality management courses?

restaurant management doesn't require a degree, but the kick in the pants is that everyone you're going up against will have one.
You could do a degree online, there are a handful of specialty colleges that would bring name recognition to the table, but you could also do professional development courses in a fraction of the time. Single classes probably won't be resume-worthy. As an example, if you could take a 1 week in person course through Cornell or CIA, that would certainly had some bravado to your credentials. Also, I would suggest you consider what you want to do TWO levels from now. For instance, restaurant management would give you all front of the house operations, but you are still going to hit a big fat ceiling in terms of pay and experience. If you wanted to head into club management, as an example, there are some strategies that will take you that direction and would BUILD on your restaurant management for sure. I guess what I'm saying is you have to decide if you want to manage a KFC or are you thinking more of something full service - if full service, then where? Hotel? CountryClub? Resort? Those are competitive, so while they are totally attainable, you have to plan so you don't have missteps that require explaining later. Franchise/chain management isn't going to require more than work experience but unless you go corporate, you're making more money now as a bartender. So- what's your end game?

PS one more thought, have you thought about adding wine /spirit credentials to your resume? Easy ones like WSET would be a slam dunk but very elite accomplishments like becoming a master sommelier make a lot more money than a restaurant manager.

CORNELL: https://sha.cornell.edu/admissions-progr...cates.html

Restaurant Manager data https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/food-...nagers.htm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 11 572 1 hour ago
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,976 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 391 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,360 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 327 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,757 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,770 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 748 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,768 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden