Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMJC vs UNE Science Prereqs?
(02-12-2018, 11:55 PM)Ideas Wrote: Don't take inorganic chemistry unless you're required to, which I doubt. Usually you just take General Chem and OChem. Probably Chem I and II? It depends on the program.

Thanks! That's very helpful.
Also there is http://is.byu.edu and Rio Salado College.

(02-12-2018, 08:33 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: ...

These classes/credits are required to be considered during the PA school application stage ..

check the schools you'd like to apply to 

NYU has an accelerated nursing program and they say applicants with classroom courses have a better chance of getting in than those with online courses 

and they say if you HAVE to take online courses then do Developmental Psychology and Nutrition 
however they don't care if the classroom courses come from a 4 year school or a two year school 
https://nursing.nyu.edu/academics/baccal...ligibility 

on the other hand the Penn State PA program says 
"We accept online courses from regionally accredited institutions." 
http://med.psu.edu/physician-assistant/prerequisites  

but the Temple University PA program says 
"Prerequisite coursework cannot be fulfilled with online courses, with the exception of medical terminology." 
https://medicine.temple.edu/education/ph...nts#prereq 

so you would be wasting all that time and money if you applied to that school 

the most liberal I've ever heard of is Columbia University's Accelerated Nursing program 
they accept the Excelsior A&P exam and the Microbiology exam to fulfill the prereqs
(02-12-2018, 08:33 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Howddddy!

I found what seemed like a super cool, trendy way to grab some science prerequisites: https://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/
It seems like these would be a no-brainer to qualify. Then I remembered we researched NMJC and found that my target schools will take those science classes because they are similar in learning and labs as many in-person Universities (according to USC admissions.)

So I suppose my question is this: Is there a benefit in taking my prereqs through UNE as opposed to NMJC?
1. Monetarily UNE is about 3-5x the cost.
2. There may be a degree of distinction in choosing a uni over a JC.
3. As a result of the cost the program may be easier to learn from??

What do you guys think? These classes/credits are required to be considered during the PA school application stage and as a result I don't want to mess around if there's a way to do it right.

Many thanks! Big Grin

I didn't investigate NMJC, but I compared UNE to Ocean CC which is where I ultimately selected. What I liked about UNE is that there were some virtual labs as opposed to only home labs (I wanted both), but what might matter for you are 2 key points. (1) UNE is a 4 year university, which gives you a slight edge over NMJC. The difference is slight, but in the competitive admissions game you're about to enter - and already doing distance learning lab sciences, it may be worth it. (2) the UNE online program is FOR premeds, and it's through their medical school - so it's highly likely that others have used UNE before and applied to the school(s) you're looking at. If I were starting from scratch, I'd use UNE.

Why didn't I use UNE? At the time, UNE did not offer physics 1&2 or organic 1&2/biochem, and I wanted to do everything at 1 location. That's the only reason. Not sure if they offer the whole premed series now, but if they do, that's where I'd spend my money.

PS I spent $10,000 on my premed/prenursing sciences but I started with the intros before doing generals since I had essentially NO science background (10 classes, not 8). You can't only factor in the cost of tuition, because the labs really add up. Also, I added in both A&P w/labs as well as Micro w/lab (3 more) - so probably 5 more classes than you need. To CYA I also took stats DSST.

One more quick PS- I'm not familiar with the PA entrance exam process, but I planned to apply to med school and nursing school when I did mine, so I was very aware of the MCAT requirements at the time. I felt poorly prepared for the MCAT, though I scored nearly perfect scores on all sections of the HESI (nursing) and earned "A" in all my classes. It takes SO LONG to do the courses because of all the sequencing required- you have to take Bio 1 then 2 for instance, and you can't really start your orgos until you're past bio and chem.... you can't do A&P without bio.... so it takes time. I used accelerated summer sessions but sold myself short imo because it wasn't really enough time to deeply learn the content. My point is that beyond passing your classes with high grades, you'll have to know this stuff, so pick the path that really allows you to do that - not just fastest or most cost effective.
(02-13-2018, 10:22 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 08:33 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Howddddy!

I found what seemed like a super cool, trendy way to grab some science prerequisites: https://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/
It seems like these would be a no-brainer to qualify. Then I remembered we researched NMJC and found that my target schools will take those science classes because they are similar in learning and labs as many in-person Universities (according to USC admissions.)

So I suppose my question is this: Is there a benefit in taking my prereqs through UNE as opposed to NMJC?
1. Monetarily UNE is about 3-5x the cost.
2. There may be a degree of distinction in choosing a uni over a JC.
3. As a result of the cost the program may be easier to learn from??

What do you guys think? These classes/credits are required to be considered during the PA school application stage and as a result I don't want to mess around if there's a way to do it right.

Many thanks! Big Grin

I didn't investigate NMJC, but I compared UNE to Ocean CC which is where I ultimately selected.  What I liked about UNE is that there were some virtual labs as opposed to  only home labs (I wanted both), but what might matter for you are 2 key points.  (1) UNE is a 4 year university, which gives you a slight edge over NMJC.  The difference is slight, but in the competitive admissions game you're about to enter - and already doing distance learning lab sciences, it may be worth it.  (2) the UNE online program is FOR premeds, and it's through their medical school - so it's highly likely that others have used UNE before and applied to the school(s) you're looking at.  If I were starting from scratch, I'd use UNE.

Why didn't I use UNE?  At the time, UNE did not offer physics 1&2 or organic 1&2/biochem, and I wanted to do everything at 1 location.  That's the only reason.  Not sure if they offer the whole premed series now, but if they do, that's where I'd spend my money.

PS I spent $10,000 on my premed/prenursing sciences but I started with the intros before doing generals since I had essentially NO science background (10 classes, not 8).  You can't only factor in the cost of tuition, because the labs really add up. Also, I added in both A&P w/labs as well as Micro w/lab (3 more) - so probably 5 more classes than you need.  To CYA I also took stats DSST.

One more quick PS- I'm not familiar with the PA entrance exam process, but I planned to apply to med school and nursing school when I did mine, so I was very aware of the MCAT requirements at the time.  I felt poorly prepared for the MCAT, though I scored nearly perfect scores on all sections of the HESI (nursing) and earned "A" in all my classes. It takes SO LONG to do the courses because of all the sequencing required- you have to take Bio 1 then 2 for instance, and you can't really start your orgos until you're past bio and chem....  you can't do A&P without bio....  so it takes time.  I used accelerated summer sessions but sold myself short imo because it wasn't really enough time to deeply learn the content.  My point is that beyond passing your classes with high grades, you'll have to know this stuff, so pick the path that really allows you to do that - not just fastest or most cost effective.

This is a goldmine of practical and emotional support. Thank you! I need to spend today going through this thread, my options, and my top 20 school choices. I'm going to make a spreadsheet of course requirements including what the school wants in regard to online vs classroom, and total prereqs required.

It looks like my BA/BS will get hammered out in the next couple of months, but these science classes could take me darn near 2 years to get an A and meet admission reqs.
(02-13-2018, 10:22 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Why didn't I use UNE?  At the time, UNE did not offer physics 1&2 or organic 1&2/biochem, and I wanted to do everything at 1 location.  That's the only reason.  Not sure if they offer the whole premed series now, but if they do, that's where I'd spend my money.

Their current offerings:
Big Grin
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 2 users Like MSK9's post:
  • cookderosa, Ideas
I can recommend LL science with labs from Clovis Community College (http://www.clovis.edu). I took my Biology w/lab through them. Specifically, they do offer Chemistry w/lab online - they are another New Mexico Community College that is very affordable, for in or out of state. They tend to have a larger selection of online course than NMJC has for most subjects. NMJC is only slightly less expensive.

Just keep in mind they offer two versions - Chemistry for Gen Ed / Lab & General Chemistry I and Lab. Based on your intended path you would be looking at the later (not the Gen Ed version).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
Oh thanks for the updated list. So, my thoughts on their offerings:
I don't like that their biology is titled Medical instead of General. Picky schools may not like that either.
Now, this may not matter- but I noticed they do A&P as Anatomy w/lab separately from Physicology but without lab. That's going to be 7 credits, not 8. I'd double check if you think you'll need those and if you need all 8. A&P isn't often listed as a premed, but it's always listed as a pre-nursing, so for pre-pa I don't know. If it's a "nice to have" then 7 credits is probably fine. If it's necessary, that could be a problem because they're going to assume A&P1 w/lab is 4 and A&P II w/lab is 4 =8
The nutrition course is coded NTRN, if you need this, use a different school. You want a BIO code instead so it comes in as a general education course INSIDE your bachelor's degree. NTRN will drop to free electives. (even though it is probably the exact same course)
Finally, looks like you get your CHOICE of either Organic Chem II w/lab -or- Medical Biochem...decisions decisions. Confirm a lab (again, 4 not 3) because the only thing I can imagine on the planet that would be WORSE than taking biochem/orgo2 is taking it TWICE. It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it for you.

(02-13-2018, 01:23 PM)allvia Wrote: I can recommend LL science with labs from Clovis Community College (http://www.clovis.edu). I took my Biology w/lab through them. Specifically, they do offer Chemistry w/lab online - they are another New Mexico Community College that is very affordable, for in or out of state. They tend to have a larger selection of online course than NMJC has for most subjects. NMJC is only slightly less expensive.

Just keep in mind they offer two versions - Chemistry for Gen Ed / Lab & General Chemistry I and Lab. Based on your intended path you would be looking at the later (not the Gen Ed version).

The only problem with Clovis continues to be that they don't offer the full sequence, you'll have to piecemeal a plan and use multiple college.

This thread has been very educational for me- just looking at the prereq list from 2 colleges I'm more familiar with: UNC-Chapel Hill and Johnson &Wales, I've noticed DRASTIC differences in their prereqs.

Chapel Hill wants everything and the kitchen sink, J&W hardly anything (no orgo, gets my vote). I think you could go crazy trying to cover all of them (unlike med schools which consistently want the same 8)

https://www.med.unc.edu/ahs/unc-pa/admis...te-courses

https://www.jwu.edu/academics/colleges/c...tions.html

All the best, I'd love to follow your journey if you don't mind sharing.
I'd be happy to share! You're right in your "crazy" assessment in that every single school is different. Some require sequential, some only for science majors. Some say science in the degree is good, others say you have to take them outside of the degree. It's whacky.

This is my course layout as I go through several iterations and planning stages. These are open to change:

Clovis
- Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab
- Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab
- Microbiology & Lab
- General Chemistry I & Lab
- General Chemistry II & Lab

NMJC
- General Biology I & Lab

UNE
- Genetics
- Organic Chemistry I

I'm also contemplating finding a JC, CC, or Uni close by that I can take the Gen Bio, A&P, and Chem at. Our local CCs are impacted though and finding science classes that have availability isn't easy. That said, it may look bad if EVERYTHING is online, so if I can do a few locally that may be a good idea. The Yale Prereqs seem to be a decent guide for what the average school looks for and accepts based on the dozens I've looked at: https://paonline.yale.edu/admissions/prerequisites/ - USC is stringent in their application process and have very strong requirements: https://keck.usc.edu/physician-assistant...admission/

I'm going to need to find a balance between time, money, and the weight that this all puts on my application. I don't want to sneak through the front door, I want to smash it open and yell "Hey, take me first."
If you're applying to a school which suggests an optional course, I think that makes you a stronger candidate than the CC/4 year school difference makes, or the Online/Offline difference makes.

I mean schools that list prereqs, but have at least one more that's "optional, but recommended".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 269 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 219 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,313 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 595 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 405 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,214 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,074 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,381 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 631 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 783 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill