Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on Study.com and WGU courses
Hi everyone..

I would like to get an advice with regards on the following WGU and Study.com courses:

C455 - English Composition I  (English104 at Study.com)
C456 - English Composition II  (English105 at Study.com)
C768 - Technical Communication  (English305 at Study.com)
C963 - American Politics and the US Constitution (Political Science 102 at Study.com)
C175 - Data Management - Foundations (Computer Science 107 at Study.com)
C176 - Business of IT - Project Management (Business 311 at Study.com)

C846 - Business of IT - Applications (Business 303 at Study.com)

I did a transfer evaluation already and will be transferring over 50 credits to the BS NOS at WGU.
I have a deadline of December 15 to transfer everything so I can start at on January 1, 2020.
I can definitely pushback my start date to February 1, 2020 in case there's more classes for me to take at Study.com

I need guidance if I should take some of the Study.com (SDC) courses mentioned above or should I just take that at WGU instead.

Note:
1. I already finished 4 courses at Straighterline to qualify for the 500$ per term scholarship.
2. Based on my FAFSA application, I qualify for $6000+ Pell grant a year
You should take up to 90 credits from StraighterLine and Study.com, the only courses you should take at WGU are the NON transferable courses at the bottom of your evaluation. You may want to attach your evaluation (without your personal info), we can assist with the rest...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-19-2019, 11:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You should take up to 90 credits from StraighterLine and Study.com, the only courses you should take at WGU are the NON transferable courses at the bottom of your evaluation.  You may want to attach your evaluation (without your personal info), we can assist with the rest...

Thank you, please see attached evaluation..

The following courses below was not included on the attached evaluation (and I just completed them recently) :
CompTIA A+
CompTIA S+
Straighterline 4 courses (BIO101 - Introduction to Biology, MAT150 - Business Statistics, BUS120 - Organizational Behavior, IT101 - Information Technology Fundamentals)

Attached Files
.pdf   Transcript_Evaluation_Results - Copy.pdf (Size: 38.85 KB / Downloads: 35)
I would probably take as many courses as you can to make it so that you finish at WGU in 2 terms. You have $6000 from FAFSA, and with the $2000 scholarship you can get ($500/term), that will put you at just over $3000/term. So, if it takes you 2 terms to finish it will be covered with very little out of pocket.

So, do Study.com, do the 7 courses you can finish by the end of the 2nd month with them (I'd include Stats and Org Behavior if possible), and then start at WGU with at least 60cr, more if you can get those.

If you can make it so that everything you take at WGU is computer-related, I think it will be easier to get through than skipping all around to various subjects. Get those GE's done through Study.com.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would take as much as you can from Study.com before you transfer over
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(11-20-2019, 01:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would probably take as many courses as you can to make it so that you finish at WGU in 2 terms.  You have $6000 from FAFSA, and with the $2000 scholarship you can get ($500/term), that will put you at just over $3000/term.  So, if it takes you 2 terms to finish it will be covered with very little out of pocket.

So, do Study.com, do the 7 courses you can finish by the end of the 2nd month with them (I'd include Stats and Org Behavior if possible), and then start at WGU with at least 60cr, more if you can get those.

If you can make it so that everything you take at WGU is computer-related, I think it will be easier to get through than skipping all around to various subjects.  Get those GE's done through Study.com.

Thank you, I liked it how you said that "it will be easier to get through than skipping all around to various subjects"
That should be the primary reason that I should consider, it would be easier if I can just focus on the IT AOS courses instead of skimming through the GenEds and AOS.

(11-20-2019, 07:48 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I would take as much as you can from Study.com before you transfer over

Thanks!
Since the advice was to take as much courses at Study.com
I am assuming that the cost of taking as much courses would benefit me by finishing within 2 Terms right.
So the cost of taking an additional 7 SDC courses is better than taking another term at WGU even if its covered with Pell Grant.
WGU won't allow you to transfer in C768 - Technical Communication, this course is tied into the capstone course. As far as the other courses go, it depends on how fast you think you can go at WGU. When I applied, I took as many courses from StraighterLine as I could transfer in, but thinking about how things went, it wouldn't have made much difference in the cost or time it took to complete my degree. The biggest factor is how fast you can work through courses. If you have the time and motivation to get through classes quickly, it might be cheaper to just do them all at WGU. Here's a cool link that can help give you an idea on how people get through the courses at WGU: https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/88...rse_notes/
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 2 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • akr680, neutrino
(11-20-2019, 07:34 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: WGU won't allow you to transfer in C768 - Technical Communication
They actually do allow you to transfer this in now.
I would echo what everyone else already said -- maximize what you can transfer in so you can finish as fast as possible. slightly more money up front to SDC, but likely a lot of money saved in the long run
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-20-2019, 10:12 PM)jsd Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 07:34 PM)jamshid666 Wrote: WGU won't allow you to transfer in C768 - Technical Communication
They actually do allow you to transfer this in now.
I would echo what everyone else already said -- maximize what you can transfer in so you can finish as fast as possible. slightly more money up front to SDC, but likely a lot of money saved in the long run

Wow, that sucks, I would've loved to have transferred that one in.  But, can't change the past and I've already done it.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
(11-20-2019, 07:08 PM)nosideedison Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 01:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would probably take as many courses as you can to make it so that you finish at WGU in 2 terms.  You have $6000 from FAFSA, and with the $2000 scholarship you can get ($500/term), that will put you at just over $3000/term.  So, if it takes you 2 terms to finish it will be covered with very little out of pocket.

If you can make it so that everything you take at WGU is computer-related, I think it will be easier to get through than skipping all around to various subjects.  Get those GE's done through Study.com.

Thank you, I liked it how you said that "it will be easier to get through than skipping all around to various subjects"
That should be the primary reason that I should consider, it would be easier if I can just focus on the IT AOS courses instead of skimming through the GenEds and AOS.

(11-20-2019, 07:48 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I would take as much as you can from Study.com before you transfer over

Thanks!
Since the advice was to take as much courses at Study.com
I am assuming that the cost of taking as much courses would benefit me by finishing within 2 Terms right.
So the cost of taking an additional 7 SDC courses is better than taking another term at WGU even if its covered with Pell Grant.

the whole thing with WGU is that you get the best deal from them by taking the most courses you think you can finish in 6 months. So it's a judgement call. I'm working on Study.com courses right now for when I got to WGU and I don't want to over do it but at the same time I don't want to do 2 terms either. So I'm going to err on the side of doing more at Study.com on the theory that I'd rather spend $300 extra at Study.com than spend 3k extra at WGU with a 2nd term.

But like with the computer programming degree, you don't want to do your certs yourself bc you have to pay for those out of pocket and if you take them at WGU then they pay for them, etc. So you have to think it through. But my plan is to try to do maybe 10-12 courses at WGU and transfer in the rest if I can. We'll see how it goes.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,208 Today, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 719 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 865 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 686 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,321 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,586 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,330 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 730 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,647 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 358 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM