Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help developing a plan. CJ
The WVDMAPS academy has not been transferred to UMPI in the past.
Yes, TESU is pretty military friendly. But not when it comes to CJ. It would be faster, easier, and cheaper to ignore half your credits and get a UMPI degree than it would be to get a CJ degree from TESU.

Look at what will get you to your goal fastest and easiest, don't fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy and continue looking to the past.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If they don't need a degree in criminal justice and just need a bachelor's degree then the BLS with a minor would be a pretty good option since it has so many elective credits. The OP doesn't have much for UL credit. They need a decent amount of the GEC as well. Almost like starting at the beginning. If they want to hold on to those military credits then maybe Excelsior would be a better option?
Yup, that's what I was thinking, get a BAS with some other minor other than CJ... and if you really want a CJ, do that at the Masters level. Further to that, your BOG AAS at Pierpont should ladder up to a RBA at Marshall or WVU... they need 24 credits residency though... You can always go for a Walden BSCJ, they may take most of those credits and the application is free!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Looking at previous credit is just looking backwards. You want to look forward. Make multiple degree plans (UMPI, EC, TESU) and then figure out which one you can complete most quickly and for the least amount of money.

The best way to think about it is this: let's say TESU gives you 60cr for your previous credits, and then you can get another 30cr for your GE for $2,000; but then it's going to cost $8,000 to get your final 24cr done in the AoS. Then it will be $6,654 for your final 6cr + RW and fees at TESU. The degree will cost $16,654 to complete.

Now, let's say you only get 30cr from UMPI; but it will be fairly cheap at $2,200 to get your GEC; and then you enroll, and take 3 terms to get your BA in CJ for $4,200. That is $6,400 to get your degree.

Even though TESU gave you many more credits, the cost to get those AoS credits is a LOT, and so that matters much more than what they brought in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-12-2022, 06:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Looking at previous credit is just looking backwards.  You want to look forward.  Make multiple degree plans (UMPI, EC, TESU) and then figure out which one you can complete most quickly and for the least amount of money.

The best way to think about it is this: let's say TESU gives you 60cr for your previous credits, and then you can get another 30cr for your GE for $2,000; but then it's going to cost $8,000 to get your final 24cr done in the AoS.  Then it will be $6,654 for your final 6cr + RW and fees at TESU.  The degree will cost $16,654 to complete.

Now, let's say you only get 30cr from UMPI; but it will be fairly cheap at $2,200 to get your GEC; and then you enroll, and take 3 terms to get your BA in CJ for $4,200.  That is $6,400 to get your degree.

Even though TESU gave you many more credits, the cost to get those AoS credits is a LOT, and so that matters much more than what they brought in.

Kind of why I was wondering if a degree in criminal justice is really needed or if any bachelor's degree would do. The BLS would give them the most credit as they have mostly general electives from the military. They're in good shape for a BLS not so much for a BA in CJ.
Has anyone successfully transferred FEMA credits from Frederick CC to UMPI? If so, how did they transfer in? Just a random thought that I’ve been wondering about.
(01-15-2022, 12:28 AM)lstrickland27 Wrote: Has anyone successfully transferred FEMA credits from Frederick CC to UMPI? If so, how did they transfer in? Just a random thought that I’ve been wondering about.

Post the course numbers and I'll look it up. What's the full name of the college? I looked up Frederick Community College and nothing is in the database as transferring from there. I haven't seen anything in UMPI transfer literature about accepting FEMA credits.
(01-11-2022, 06:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Actually, I noticed you have an AAS from Pierpont... get the UMPI BAS with a minor in something OTHER than CJ, then finish a Masters in CJ at Walden instead, use up all your credits through transfer into the UMPI and see if it comes through - including your WVDMAPS academy credits.  There are so man providers of Bachelors in CJ, it's going to be better to ladder up to a Masters instead...
In this scenario what is your major? Are you majoring in applied science and minoring in CJ? Does UMPI even have a CJ minor? You are blowing my mind right now I don't know what to make of this lol.
(01-22-2022, 01:22 PM)evanmonast Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 06:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Actually, I noticed you have an AAS from Pierpont... get the UMPI BAS with a minor in something OTHER than CJ, then finish a Masters in CJ at Walden instead, use up all your credits through transfer into the UMPI and see if it comes through - including your WVDMAPS academy credits.  There are so man providers of Bachelors in CJ, it's going to be better to ladder up to a Masters instead...
In this scenario what is your major? Are you majoring in applied science and minoring in CJ? Does UMPI even have a CJ minor? You are blowing my mind right now I don't know what to make of this lol.

UMPI does NOT have a CJ minor. There's the BA in CJ only. The only minors are:

Educational Studies
Accounting
Project Management
Management
Management Information Systems

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 120 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 585 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 651 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 297 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 383 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,121 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 230 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 594 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 572 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 289 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM