Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Excelsior College Cornerstone Initiative; starting January 2020
(06-08-2019, 08:46 AM)learflyer Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 12:54 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:58 AM)TheMaskedMutant Wrote: ...  What is a cornerstone course from an overall collegiate perspective?  I can't find much about it on google.  Is such an initiative realistically better for student learning/completion or school revenue?

It's basically a course on how to study and find information online. It used to be called "Student success" or some such, and was often not even given college credit in the "old days". I'm sure it's helpful with a bunch of incoming freshmen who only have HS experience. I would think it's almost useless for transfer students who have already been taking and passing college courses.

EC already has Information Literacy as a required course. It highlights how to write a paper basically.   Is the Cornerstone different than that?

The current Info Lit course and certain courses can be transferred in to meet that requirment. Also it is self-paced and only 1 credit. If I had to guess I'm thinking the new cornerstone will be an actual course that is not self-paced.
**ding ding ding** Money grab situation here. Everyone of the Big 3 is changing to a two course requirement model. A cornerstone and capstone. Excelsior most likely is changing their Info Lit to the Cornerstone by Jan 2020 as the requirement/replacement.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-08-2019, 08:22 AM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote: This is 100% about money. These cornerstone and capstone courses serve no other purpose.

I agree about the cornerstone, but not the capstone.  That definitely serves a purpose.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
From the perspective of a cheap student who hates writing and already took college-level English in high school, I wouldn't want to take these courses. From the perspective of a former college instructor, I can understand why the courses exist.

Non-traditional, open-entry schools often require an introductory course that is basically information literacy. From what I've heard, COSC's cornerstone is more involved that the introductory courses I've encountered at other online colleges. Since these schools accept almost everyone, I think the purpose of the cornerstone is to prepare students for future courses and to give them an idea of whether they can handle college-level work.

Capstones are more for quality control. When students could CLEP out of 100% of the credits, I did notice that many of them could not write well. These are the people going out into the workforce representing these colleges. Remember that most Big 3 students are not trying to transfer in over 90% of the required credits. If they weren't taking a cornerstone, they would be taking another general education course. If they weren't taking a capstone, they would be taking another area of study elective.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My question is, why isn't the basic information literacy stuff considered part of English Composition?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(06-08-2019, 02:49 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: My question is, why isn't the basic information literacy stuff considered part of English Composition?

It should be a part of English Comp II. If I were running a school, I wouldn't allow credits for English Comp that didn't come from an accredited college.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • natshar
(06-08-2019, 03:15 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 02:49 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: My question is, why isn't the basic information literacy stuff considered part of English Composition?

It should be a part of English Comp II. If I were running a school, I wouldn't allow credits for English Comp that didn't come from an accredited college.

This actually makes sense! 

Or make it an option. Make the info lit course an option for any and all students who wish to take it. But it is only a requirement for students who transfer in a bad grade in English Comp (say "C" or lower) or meet the comp. requirement through alternative means. Any student who completes English Comp I and II from an accredited college with a C or higher will be not forced to take info lit.

A local school near me is generous with CLEP/DSST but the composition ones don't grant credit, it just places you out of remedial and puts you right into to college level comp.

Here in CA, where all of the CC's and CSU schools will accept most CLEP exams, they will not take English Comp.  They just actually require students to be able to write decently, and feel that they can't do that without taking a course.

They will accept AP exams, but those are different - they require a year of rigorous writing, followed by a very hard exam that is mostly written.  To score even a 3 is hard - only 57% pass.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-08-2019, 04:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Here in CA, where all of the CC's and CSU schools will accept most CLEP exams, they will not take English Comp.  They just actually require students to be able to write decently, and feel that they can't do that without taking a course.

They will accept AP exams, but those are different - they require a year of rigorous writing, followed by a very hard exam that is mostly written.  To score even a 3 is hard - only 57% pass.

Accepting AP makes sense since the vast majority of AP test takers went through a corresponding AP course in high school.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Do you need to enroll before Jan 2020 to avoid this?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 528 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 996 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,727 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,736 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,398 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,367 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,139 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,829 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,307 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,365 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az