Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL Intro to Communications - Assignment 2 Question
My son is enrolled in Intro to Communication at SL, but his membership is not currently active. He plans to do all the speeches ahead of time before he signs up for another month, but he appears to have thrown away the papers with the second assignment. He remembers most of the details, and he did the speech, but when I asked him if he was supposed to cite sources in the speech he said he hadn't done so. I know that is required for the third essay. Can anyone who is taking/has taken this course let me know if sources must be cited in the second speech (informational speech about a custom/holiday/etc from another culture).
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:My son is enrolled in Intro to Communication at SL, but his membership is not currently active. He plans to do all the speeches ahead of time before he signs up for another month, but he appears to have thrown away the papers with the second assignment. He remembers most of the details, and he did the speech, but when I asked him if he was supposed to cite sources in the speech he said he hadn't done so. I know that is required for the third essay. Can anyone who is taking/has taken this course let me know if sources must be cited in the second speech (informational speech about a custom/holiday/etc from another culture).

We are planning to enroll in this course before the month's end, possibly as early as mid-March. I'll follow this thread and see if you still haven't gotten an answer by then.
I have taken this course. My Information speech was on Hannakuh but I did not "cite" any sources. I did however indirectly reference the Talmud and Josephus account. Made a 98 on that speech! I really enjoyed the course.

The last assignment took me a little time because of the outline but spend some time on that outline! (I do not recommend or encourage this!) I accidentally submitted the document without the link to my video. After realizing my mistake, I contacted SL and told them but by then the graders had given me a 97 on my presentation. We got it cleared up but I still got to keep the grade!!! So I would say the outline might be worth something here.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

teacher2 Wrote:I have taken this course. My Information speech was on Hannakuh but I did not "cite" any sources. I did however indirectly reference the Talmud and Josephus account. Made a 98 on that speech! I really enjoyed the course.

The last assignment took me a little time because of the outline but spend some time on that outline! (I do not recommend or encourage this!) I accidentally submitted the document without the link to my video. After realizing my mistake, I contacted SL and told them but by then the graders had given me a 97 on my presentation. We got it cleared up but I still got to keep the grade!!! So I would say the outline might be worth something here.

I'd hate for my son to accidentally submit the outline without the video and get a 97! That would be just awful!!! Wink

Thanks for the reply. I noticed the note about verbally citing sources in the third speech and began to worry that it was a requirement for the second as well. He probably spent 3 hours recording and deleting that sucker, and he does NOT want to do it again.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Lol! That's why I do not recommend or encourage it! SL has been really good to me when it comes to submitting the wrong document accidently! A tip is don't talk to people while you are in the middle of submitting! I still think structuring the outline is pretty important. I understand about the recording part! I think it took me roughly that amount of time to but in part because I had to record it in a building right next to our baby goats!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

I cited on both. On my first video presentation I completed it was on a different subject as I missed reading the subject matter and I requested SL to delete my submission which they did in 2 days, which allowed me to upload a new .doc. I received a 98% overall.
AAS WVNCC, completed 6/17. BS plan through TESU
Straighterline
Business Ethics 3 | Western Civilization 3 |Business Accounting 3 | Org Behavior 3| Intro to Nutrition 3 |Intro to Sociology 3 |US Hist I 3 |Intro to religion 3 |Anatomy & Physiology 3 |Intro to Communication 3| Macroeconomics 3| Microeconomics 3 |Business Law 3|English Comp 1| American History II 3 | Intro to Crim Just 3| American Gov 3|Accounting I 3|Business Principles 3| Business Stats|Cultural Anthropology|American History II| Account II|
Aleks College Algebra 3
TEEX CYBER102,201,301 6
JST 6
-------------------------------------------------------
84/120 Credits

In progress
English II |Financial Accounting|Intro to Envir Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia Spanish Touchstone Question JohnD 2 240 04-03-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 761 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  SDC or Sophia - Managerial Communications Dosada 2 436 11-21-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,921 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com accounting 303 assignment 2 Pats20 0 507 06-14-2023, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 630 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Google IT Support - course question and ACE rvm 2 949 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: rvm
  SDC Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace busybee45 26 4,142 01-19-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,252 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  SDC BIO 101 - question on Labster Mr T 5 636 01-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Mr T