Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New from Harvard Extension School
(06-16-2019, 06:58 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Hmmm both the ALM in Finance and Management seem interesting...some nice courses...

I'm more inclined to going with the Management program....

The only problem with the Management program is that it has a new capstone component that looks cumbersome.
I guess I just much prefer to earn a Masters of Science degree versus a Masters of Liberal Arts with a concentration in X field.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • jsd
(06-16-2019, 08:03 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I guess I just much prefer to earn a Masters of Science degree versus a Masters of Liberal Arts with a concentration in X field.

Just to be clear, Harvard uses "concentration" instead of "major" for all of its programs. They also use the latin degree names. For example, an undergrad in History from Harvard College would technically be "AB with a concentration in History."
@alexf.1990 yeah I've spent the last few hours looking at both programs program. Its a hard choice but the supply chain management is more directly located to what I'm doing right now, and it would be nice to understand then delve into the management ALM.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I've done some research on this and UPENN LPS and HES are like night and day.  People from UPENN won't think of you any differently as a student attending LPS. So you're included into the 'selectivity' process of attending there by default even if it's not entirely true. I don't see any distinction at all in the copy of their documents.  In contrast the people at HES... you know, well let's just say you will be different because of the stigma attached and it's not positive. Unless of course you can overcome that by living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc and playing off the HES part  (This is what I would do) because you're busy working or building a business or startup, etc. But if you just want a HES degree to play off the rep of Harvard (and there's no forward momentum in terms of creating value for society outside of taking classes at HES) then you will be up for a rude awakening. Because they won't want anything to do with you there and will roll their eyes at you in public, and you will be stuck with a Liberal arts in Extension studies degree. I guess it can help for interviews, but for the most part companies want to hire Harvard grads because of the connections that they might bring. Personally, I want to go to HES to study for my masters because I like their content and style and I'm knee deep into it with all these poetry credits, though I already know that I will be stigmatized, and belittled there through indirect communication.  But I'll turn that into a positive somehow.  Anyway if things were equal I would go to Upenn LPS in a heart beat. If LPS has some type of grant like the HES grant for potential students then maybe going there pays for itself with all the money saved on living in Philly as opposed to the Boston area.
(06-30-2019, 01:15 AM)Stoic Wrote: they won't want anything to do with you there and will roll their eyes at you in public…

though I already know that I will be stigmatized, and belittled there through indirect communication.

I've done the "living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc" thing and have seen a few things. These aren't remotely words I would use to describe relations between HES students or graduates and the rest of the university.

Who is they? Who do you believe would stigmatize and belittle you based on being an HES student or graduate, and how?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • alexf.1990
(06-30-2019, 02:58 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:15 AM)Stoic Wrote: they won't want anything to do with you there and will roll their eyes at you in public…

though I already know that I will be stigmatized, and belittled there through indirect communication.

I've done the "living in Cambridge and joining clubs, etc" thing and have seen a few things. These aren't remotely words I would use to describe relations between HES students or graduates and the rest of the university.

Who is they? Who do you believe would stigmatize and belittle you based on being an HES student or graduate, and how?

What Harvard clubs did you join?

I joined four Harvard clubs/organizations with no issues and I am only a Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education (HKSEE) Alumni.  The Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government (HKS) (Official) club (9,244 members); Harvard Kennedy School / Leadership for the 21st Century Club; Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health LinkedIn Network; and Harvard Veterans Alumni Organization (512 members). 

EE alumni like myself could care less about what the unproven so-called elite Harvard students think of us.  Same with the professors.  Being formally educated and being successful is not the same thing.  I prefer the second. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-30-2019, 04:50 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: What Harvard clubs did you join?

I went deep more than wide, being heavily involved in the HES pre-health society (whose mandate extended to include all HES students in science courses), and taking part in deliberations of the HES student government. We collaborated with other clubs in shared activities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-30-2019, 05:18 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 04:50 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: What Harvard clubs did you join?

I went deep more than wide, being heavily involved in the HES pre-health society (whose mandate extended to include all HES students in science courses), and taking part in deliberations of the HES student government. We collaborated with other clubs in shared activities.

Be proud to be a HES.  I would be.  I have been to Harvard five times.  I want one more time after September to complete my goals there.  

One night I was at a bar at Harvard and met a HES degree alumni with three of her Australian/UK co-workers all in cybersecurity on a business trip.  She was down from Vermont.  They were a neat group.  She had an undergrad HES degree and was a mid-career professional.  That was the original concept of the Big 3 in 1971.  I had more respect for her than any I meet on the Harvard campus that two weeks.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
"Even when a situation seems so personal, even if others insult you directly, it has nothing to do with you. What they say, what they do, and the opinions they give are according to the agreements they have in their own minds." - Miguel Ruiz
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • harrypotter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 181 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,296 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,038 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,078 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,770 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,319 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,490 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,645 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,650 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess