Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to this and overwhelmed..
First, I want to thank all the people posting here. There is an incredible amount of information on this site and each time I visit, I learn something new.

I formerly worked in law enforcement and recieved 62 college credits for training that I attended. The credits are from two community colleges. I believe that the credits would be considered vocational credits (not sure if that is the right term). I also have some FEMA credits but can't remember the courses or how to access those credits.

A few years back I wanted to enroll in college and get my degree. I found out that none of the credits would transfer because they were considered vocational (I don't know if that was specific to that school only). I was pretty frustrated and put off attending at the time.

I am now ready to get a degree and thankfully I found this site. I am trying to find out if TESC or the other schools often mentioned on this site would transfer the credits I have towards a degree and if anyone has had success with this in the past. From what I have read it appears they would but I wanted to hear from people who have done this if it was an easy process.

I am just beginning my journey and want to get as clear of a path to take as possible.

Thanks
TESC will not transfer the college credits granted to you for training at the two CCs. TESC will do its own evaluation of your training and certifications and determine how many and what credits they will give you, if any. If you took degree-level, college courses for credit at the community colleges, I think TESC is the best place to transfer them since TESC will give UL credit for CC courses as long as their course descriptions match UL credits in TESC's PLA database.

If none of the Big 3 or any other school will grant you credits for past training, you can always do PLAs (prior learning assessments/portfolios) through LearningCounts.org. They're pretty cheap if you get the max of 12 credits for each portfolio.

You can request a FEMA transcript to go to any school at the link below. FEMA will automatically send you a copy when you do.
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/downloads/tranrqst1.pdf
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Welcome, Susitna1. If you have the money, I would recommend applying to all of the Big 3 and have your transcripts (including FEMA) sent to them. If you're simply after a degree - as opposed to a specific degree with a specific major - see which one accepts most of your credits. That way, you'll at least know where you stand. What happens if the worst happens, and they don't take any of them? Not to worry. As you've seen, this forum is a font of information. You'll learn some folks go from no credits to a degree in a year or less. (I hate those people!) The rest of us just start taking exams. Before you know it, you'll have a degree. Good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
COSC may take them as part of a portfolio assessment. Take a look at it. I would think that the other schools have some mechanism to award credit.

Charter Oak State College - Lifelong Learning Credit Portfolio
TESTS PASSED

Intro to Law Enforcement (70) DSST, Criminal Justice (461) DSST, US History 1 (71) CLEP, US History 2 (66) CLEP, Civil War & Reconstruction (67) DSST
Business Ethics & Society (447) DSST, Principles of Management (65) CLEP, Principles of Supervision (450) DSST, Organizational Behavior (60) DSST
Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (56) DSST, Intro to World Religions (469) DSST, Management Info Systems (448) DSST, Prin of MACROeconomics (63)
Prin of MICROeconomics (64) CLEP, Labor Relations (A) ECE, HR Management (B) ECE, Principles of Financial Accounting(65) DSST, Prin of Finance (408) Money and Banking (52) DSST

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEWB - Overwhelmed looking for help HAYDENTREE77 26 5,501 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Overwhelmed! Where should I start? Degreegirl1 12 1,779 10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Oh my garsh overwhelmed with what to do for my kids for each of their degrees?- HELP geissingert 47 4,056 09-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Photog
  I am a bit overwhelmed and could use some help forming a degree plan pokesql 2 698 03-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Gaz