Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overwhelmed! Where should I start?
So I decided to take the plunge and get my Undergrad degree. However Its imperative that I do it as fast as possible. I applied at TESU, and plan on taking alot of CLEPs to finish. I dont really know what program to go into, alot of people have said the BSBA in General Management as its the fastest, but tbh it seems like a lot of math lol. I was leaning towards maybe Liberal Arts... but i want to make sure its substantial enough for a really good grad school. So what do you all think?

Also about how long after applying are you accepted to TESU
What do you want to study in grad school? Some grad programs require a bachelor's degree in a specific major or prerequisite courses.

CLEPs and DSSTs are not graded at the Big 3. Having very little or no graded credits can make it difficult to get into a competitive graduate program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Degreegirl1 Wrote:So I decided to take the plunge and get my Undergrad degree. However Its imperative that I do it as fast as possible. I applied at TESU, and plan on taking alot of CLEPs to finish. I dont really know what program to go into, alot of people have said the BSBA in General Management as its the fastest, but tbh it seems like a lot of math lol. I was leaning towards maybe Liberal Arts... but i want to make sure its substantial enough for a really good grad school. So what do you all think?

Your question is essentially saying "I'd like to learn 1 year of some foreign language as fast as I can so I can hurry up and enroll in year #2 of that language - where should I start?"
I get it- you want it yesterday, but seriously, any "really good grad school" is going to require a little bit of brain space and planning. Can we start with which bachelor's degree you'd like to start? What career are you considering? Yes there is math beyond Algebra in the business degree- is that a deal breaker? It was for me, but maybe not for you. Seriously, you have to give your question more details so people can help you. This is YOUR life we're discussing, and presumably this is the only undergraduate degree you're ever going to get, so it's worth a few minutes exploring options.

PS you'll be accepted when the paperwork is processed because it's an open enrollment college. Usually a couple days.
Thanks for replying.. So I had to have a heart to heart with myself and decided that a BA in Communications or English would be right up my alley. I know that I would have to take some classes at TESU to get a good GPA... I just need to figure out how to be as efficient as possible. I am not starting from scratch, I do have some credits from a few years a go when I was in school. However they are definitely more Gen Ed courses and Im waiting on my transcript to see exactly what classes i have since its been so long.

Im a 23 year old who is just starting to formulate what she wants to do. I was in school about 4 years ago for 3 semesters, and then quit because of health things. After working a lot of dead end jobs, I want to give myself a chance to earn a good career, and make good money. I have an interest in head hunting or recruiting.
Degreegirl1 Wrote:Thanks for replying.. So I had to have a heart to heart with myself and decided that a BA in Communications or English would be right up my alley. I know that I would have to take some classes at TESU to get a good GPA... I just need to figure out how to be as efficient as possible. I am not starting from scratch, I do have some credits from a few years a go when I was in school. However they are definitely more Gen Ed courses and Im waiting on my transcript to see exactly what classes i have since its been so long.

Im a 23 year old who is just starting to formulate what she wants to do. I was in school about 4 years ago for 3 semesters, and then quit because of health things. After working a lot of dead end jobs, I want to give myself a chance to earn a good career, and make good money. I have an interest in head hunting or recruiting.

Awesome! So that's a plan then. When you get your transcript, it will be really helpful to list your classes and then you can see what you'll get credit for and what else you need. Smile
A BA in Comm in pretty easy to test out of - and you could take some courses in your major at a school that's much cheaper than TESU (there are LOTS of places with courses cheaper than $1500/3cr, believe me) to get the GPA you want.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go to grad school to be a recruiter? Unless all of the recruiting jobs are requiring a Master's degree, that seems like a bit of overkill. Just an observation. I would do more research on that before making it my plan.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:A BA in Comm in pretty easy to test out of - and you could take some courses in your major at a school that's much cheaper than TESU (there are LOTS of places with courses cheaper than $1500/3cr, believe me) to get the GPA you want.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go to grad school to be a recruiter? Unless all of the recruiting jobs are requiring a Master's degree, that seems like a bit of overkill. Just an observation. I would do more research on that before making it my plan.

Wouldn't a degree in business administration with a concentration in human resources be better? Recruiting is a human resource function. I can't remember what Excelsior requires, but TESU and COSC require college algebra. COSC requires business statistics; I've never taken business statistics, so I can't comment on that. TESU will accept intro to statistics to satisfy the other math requirement. In my opinion, introductory statistics is not a higher level of math. The rest of the math in the program will be in accounting and finance courses/tests. I haven't taken a finance course, but accounting only requires basic algebra. The difficult part of accounting is remember all the rules.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Wouldn't a degree in business administration with a concentration in human resources be better? Recruiting is a human resource function. I can't remember what Excelsior requires, but TESU and COSC require college algebra. COSC requires business statistics; I've never taken business statistics, so I can't comment on that. TESU will accept intro to statistics to satisfy the other math requirement. In my opinion, introductory statistics is not a higher level of math. The rest of the math in the program will be in accounting and finance courses/tests. I haven't taken a finance course, but accounting only requires basic algebra. The difficult part of accounting is remember all the rules.

The OP said that there was too much math for the BSBA, so I was trying to figure out another degree instead. Yes, a BSBA in General Management or HR would good, but maybe Communications wouldn't be a terrible degree for someone in recruiting. There's a lot less HR involved than you might think - it really is all about communication in that type of role.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Degreegirl1 Wrote:So I decided to take the plunge and get my Undergrad degree. However Its imperative that I do it as fast as possible. I applied at TESU, and plan on taking alot of CLEPs to finish. I dont really know what program to go into, alot of people have said the BSBA in General Management as its the fastest, but tbh it seems like a lot of math lol. I was leaning towards maybe Liberal Arts... but i want to make sure its substantial enough for a really good grad school. So what do you all think?

You're still early in the game of deciding on a degree and school. My recommendation is to continue taking courses that will meet the general education and professional requirements for the degree you want. You can switch anytime without needing to take additional credits... The general education requirements are required at both COSC/TESU anyways. Finish those first and then decide on the BSBA or the other degree you have in mind.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Degreegirl1 Wrote:Thanks for replying.. So I had to have a heart to heart with myself and decided that a BA in Communications or English would be right up my alley.

A BA in English is not quite as "test-out" friendly, just FYI. I chose it because it was what I really wanted to do. But unfortunately, it's just not possible to test out of as much of it as it is with many other degrees. If literature and/or writing is what you enjoy, then I think it can be a really fun degree. Take some time to think through your options and then figure out what you want. Best wishes!
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,015 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Looking for Help with my TESU start Dacowta 1 902 02-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Start of my Journey. oniflednitsua 5 1,300 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
  NEWB - Overwhelmed looking for help HAYDENTREE77 26 5,486 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Literal First Step? BS@TESU I just need to start find myself procrastinating. David.Hamad 8 2,343 08-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Easy TECEPs to start with Al2010x 11 2,938 05-21-2017, 11:50 PM
  TESU: ready to start but I need HELP! ReeseP 13 1,937 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Last Post: KayV
  Not sure where to start... pmm 13 1,418 11-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Testing out toward a degree but don't know where to start ray_scanlon 32 2,583 08-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Start Your Summer with Sophia bjcheung77 0 512 06-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77