Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie not impressed with SL
I just started my first SL course: world religions. No offense, but I really do not like it. I just click from page to page, reading a short paragraph or two, and a separate short (like 2 or three sentences) audio transcript. Unlike Sophia or Modern States, or even any book in the world, I see no indication how many pages are left within a lesson. Is it 1? 10? 100?

The sole progress indicator, seems to exclusively reflect exams. After Topic 1, it said "0/6". I was thinking, "Wait a minute, I just finished a lesson. Why doesn't it show that?"

Next Topic has 4 lessons. Is it 5 pages each? 400 pages each? I don't know; it's a mystery, and I won't know until it's done.

Am I missing anything? Does it get better?

I sincerely hope SDC is more enjoyable than this. This doesn't feel better than a classroom.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
Sounds like you're only looking at the slides and not the textbook. I don't even use the slides on Straighterline.
(02-28-2020, 04:41 PM)Kalpa Wrote: Sounds like you're only looking at the slides and not the textbook. I don't even use the slides on Straighterline.

Huh? Yeah I pulled the textbook up in a browser tab, where it's still open, but didn't read the chapter yet.

So I can skip the tedious slides? In all SL courses? That would feel less like puling out nose hairs.

EDIT: Holy moly! 500 pages! That's like taking off the whole nose.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
Indeed, focus on the e-book.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • SCYankee
World Religions is one of SL's open book exam courses - https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • SCYankee
Focus on the textbook, because the slides are just someone else’s notes. I always recommend reading ANY textbook on the subject before you spend money on the class. This goes for brick and mortar also. Luckily, SL has the syllabus along with the textbook(s) listed for each course prior to enrolling. Textbooks can be found for a low cost on Amazon or for free from certain libraries (including online libraries). Read the book, take notes, enroll, take the exams.
Stop being so lazy. It's your education and you are supposed to learn something you know. Just read the book and go through the slides, it's supposed to be comparable to a college class FYI, so you have to work. That course took me about 30 or so hours to complete. You can put in 2 days at 15 hours a day or 15 days at 2 hours per day, but you will have to put time in.

I think that course can be done in 20-30 hours or so.

SL isn't meant to be better than a college class. It's meant to be more convenient and cheaper.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • ARhead
SCYankee, this is what I typed out yesterday or a ago: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303957

If you're looking at Gen Eds and Free Electives, this post is for you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303787

All in all, it's "hard" work, but as a dad with two kids, I've been through all that and had to do everything after work and after they've gone to bed.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-28-2020, 06:42 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Stop being so lazy. It's your education and you are supposed to learn something you know. Blah blah blah...

Riiiight. Glad you showed up for that.

(02-28-2020, 07:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: SCYankee, this is what I typed out yesterday or a ago: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303957

If you're looking at Gen Eds and Free Electives, this post is for you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303787

All in all, it's "hard" work, but as a dad with two kids, I've been through all that and had to do everything after work and after they've gone to bed.

You the man, bjcheung77! We're speaking the same language; I have 4 of them running around. I just woke up from a crash nap to a couple of them screaming again.  Confused  I'll go read what you wrote. 

What's your view on SL compared to other providers?
Working towards:
SL is awesome! I’ve completed Accounting 2 and Business Law through them. I’m working on Macroeconomics and then onto Micro. They offer an excellent value for credits and have helped me knock out a significant portion of my core business credits.

Also, as a dad with two kids, I feel your pain. Most of my studying happens on the weekends and at nights. I’ve had great success studying CLEP’s and DSST using InstantCert flash cards while rocking my son in a recliner. Something to consider.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Guidance & Advice mrey11 7 1,143 01-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Last Post: mrey11
  Shmoop Help - Any Advice for a Newbie? mrshill818 14 3,101 02-27-2018, 11:51 PM
Last Post: scout2family
  SL: which of these classes can be knocked out quickly (SL Newbie): wandac 1 1,260 04-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  Newbie looking for a little help Scruphdawg 9 1,606 04-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: morig
  Newbie Question about course order MD_AJIBULU 5 955 03-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Last Post: dfrecore