Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie not impressed with SL
(02-28-2020, 04:11 PM)SCYankee Wrote: I just started my first SL course: world religions. No offense, but I really do not like it. I just click from page to page, reading a short paragraph or two, and a separate short (like 2 or three sentences) audio transcript. Unlike Sophia or Modern States, or even any book in the world, I see no indication how many pages are left within a lesson. Is it 1? 10? 100?

The sole progress indicator, seems to exclusively reflect exams. After Topic 1, it said "0/6". I was thinking, "Wait a minute, I just finished a lesson. Why doesn't it show that?"

Next Topic has 4 lessons. Is it 5 pages each? 400 pages each? I don't know; it's a mystery, and I won't know until it's done.

Am I missing anything? Does it get better?

I sincerely hope SDC is more enjoyable than this. This doesn't feel better than a classroom.
I am taking American Gov on SL,this is my second class. I took Eng Comp II and enjoyed it. Had no problem with tracking progress. Read the book and complete all the quizzes. I do not rely on the website to track where I am at. Now if the matter is a technical problem where the site is not marking completed exams, you can contact SL customer service. Otherwise it only tracks required assignments. Hope this helps.

(02-28-2020, 06:36 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Focus on the textbook, because the slides are just someone else’s notes. I always recommend reading ANY textbook on the subject before you spend money on the class. This goes for brick and mortar also. Luckily, SL has the syllabus along with the textbook(s) listed for each course prior to enrolling. Textbooks can be found for a low cost on Amazon or for free from certain libraries (including online libraries). Read the book, take notes, enroll, take the exams.
ahelps.are the slides really someone else's notes? Are they any reliable? They seem to follow the textbook so they do help somewhat in conjunction with textbook. For what they charge, they better provide reliable material. It is still quite expensive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • SCYankee
(02-29-2020, 02:56 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 04:11 PM)SCYankee Wrote: I just started my first SL course: world religions. No offense, but I really do not like it. I just click from page to page, reading a short paragraph or two, and a separate short (like 2 or three sentences) audio transcript. Unlike Sophia or Modern States, or even any book in the world, I see no indication how many pages are left within a lesson. Is it 1? 10? 100?

The sole progress indicator, seems to exclusively reflect exams. After Topic 1, it said "0/6". I was thinking, "Wait a minute, I just finished a lesson. Why doesn't it show that?"

Next Topic has 4 lessons. Is it 5 pages each? 400 pages each? I don't know; it's a mystery, and I won't know until it's done.

Am I missing anything? Does it get better?

I sincerely hope SDC is more enjoyable than this. This doesn't feel better than a classroom.
I am taking American Gov on SL,this is my second class. I took Eng Comp II and enjoyed it. Had no problem with tracking progress. Read the book and complete all the quizzes. I do not rely on the website to track where I am at. Now if the matter is a technical problem where the site is not marking completed exams, you can contact SL customer service. Otherwise it only tracks required assignments. Hope this helps.

(02-28-2020, 06:36 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Focus on the textbook, because the slides are just someone else’s notes. I always recommend reading ANY textbook on the subject before you spend money on the class. This goes for brick and mortar also. Luckily, SL has the syllabus along with the textbook(s) listed for each course prior to enrolling. Textbooks can be found for a low cost on Amazon or for free from certain libraries (including online libraries). Read the book, take notes, enroll, take the exams

s.are the slides really someone else's notes? Are they any reliable? They seem to follow the textbook so they do help somewhat in conjunction with textbook. For what they charge, they better provide reliable material. It is still quite expensive.
Plus with Bookshelf ebooks being available as an app it is a good deal. Considering how much the hard copy costs. You can access it on any device and study anywhere anytime.
I've taken about 28 classes from SL, yeah you read that right. TESU took them all. SL def helped me get to where i am currently. Personally i enjoyed their format and was able to get through them at a good pace. The real draw they have is offering the text book as part of their bundle, financially you just cant beat it anywhere. I also have tried study.com and they have excellent "youtube" like videos that tech you visually. Both are challenging but not impossible, just push thru you will get there. Also dont forget about Straighterlines coupons they send them out often and want to help the community here. Theres a thread for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rckola911's post:
  • SCYankee
(03-02-2020, 01:26 PM)rckola911 Wrote: I've taken about 28 classes from SL, yeah you read that right.  TESU took them all.  SL def helped me get to where i am currently.  Personally i enjoyed their format and was able to get through them at a good pace.  The real draw they have is offering the text book as part of their bundle, financially you just cant beat it anywhere.  I also have tried study.com and they have excellent "youtube" like videos that tech you visually. Both are challenging but not impossible, just push thru you will get there. Also dont forget about Straighterlines coupons they send them out often and want to help the community here.  Theres a thread for it.

The textbook expires at end of course even if downloaded offline?
(03-02-2020, 02:12 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: The textbook expires at end of course even if downloaded offline?

No... your access sticks around for a while. I know I still had access to my SL textbooks more than 6 months after I finished my last course with them. I may still have access but I don't have the app installed anymore. My guess is the license lasts for a year.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I tried to take 3 courses from SL and never finished any of them. Just don't like the format

Everyone is different though
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(03-02-2020, 06:39 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I tried to take 3 courses from SL and never finished any of them. Just don't like the format

Everyone is different though

Yeah, different strokes for different folks. I'm big on not wasting money, but I really don't like the format. And I'm willing to take the $59 loss and go for the DSST instead. SDC sounds better for me; hopefully the experience will be better there.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
(03-02-2020, 02:12 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 01:26 PM)rckola911 Wrote: I've taken about 28 classes from SL, yeah you read that right.  TESU took them all.  SL def helped me get to where i am currently.  Personally i enjoyed their format and was able to get through them at a good pace.  The real draw they have is offering the text book as part of their bundle, financially you just cant beat it anywhere.  I also have tried study.com and they have excellent "youtube" like videos that tech you visually. Both are challenging but not impossible, just push thru you will get there. Also dont forget about Straighterlines coupons they send them out often and want to help the community here.  Theres a thread for it.

The textbook expires at end of course even if downloaded offline?
In this digital age, textbooks NEVER expire. I’ve never seen a textbook I couldn’t find free online.
@indigoshuffle

When you download a free textbook you hurt the author that put in the time to write the book. Please respect copyright laws and the author! Purchase a copy!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • bluebooger
(03-26-2020, 02:10 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @indigoshuffle

When you download a free textbook you hurt the author that put in the time to write the book. Please respect copyright laws and the author! Purchase a copy!
You can get it free legally. Please don’t preach.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Guidance & Advice mrey11 7 1,141 01-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Last Post: mrey11
  Shmoop Help - Any Advice for a Newbie? mrshill818 14 3,084 02-27-2018, 11:51 PM
Last Post: scout2family
  SL: which of these classes can be knocked out quickly (SL Newbie): wandac 1 1,249 04-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Last Post: rowan555
  Newbie looking for a little help Scruphdawg 9 1,585 04-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: morig
  Newbie Question about course order MD_AJIBULU 5 939 03-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Last Post: dfrecore