Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Step - Transferring
I would just like to say thanks to this community for helping me to go 8/8 on CLEP exams. I am finishing up my associates degree and am leaning towards one of the big three schools mentioned on here. I would appreciate any pointers or any thing I am seriously overlooking. I am hoping to finish a few more CLEPS and make the transfer. I know nothing about DSST exams or anything else. Thanks a lot.

College History

University of Cincinnati – 2007 – 2009 ( Credits too old? )
Psych 101 – A
Public Speaking – C
Ethics – B
Euro History – A
Micro Econ- A
Macro Econ – A
18 hours

CLEPS taken –
Management, Marketing, English Comp, AIL, American Lit, Sociology , English Lit , American History to 1877

Cincinnati State Tech and Comm College – Summer 2015 to Present
Financial Accounting, Business Law, Managerial Accounting,
Professional Practices ( 1 cr course ) , Intermediate Accounting 1 , Microsoft Excel
Earned A in all of these

Working on American Government CLEP, College Algebra CLEP and working my way up to Calculus.
At a glance I think you lack the following at COSC for an AA:

7 credits natural science, 1 of those a lab.
DSST world religions (satisfies non US and Global understanding).

COSC cornerstone course.

None of your credits are too old.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
DSST are pretty much a CLEP exam that has 5 possible answers instead of 4....in my area they are cheaper to take too.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Those credits are practically brand new by my standards. hilarious (see last line of sig)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Those credits are practically brand new by my standards. hilarious (see last line of sig)

Right!? LOL
Rebel100, what is COSC's policy regarding the age of credits?
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:Rebel100, what is COSC's policy regarding the age of credits?
Depends on what you are studying. I had no problem transferring old General Eds (20+ years old). I know there are issues with some computer science stuff, not really aware of anything else. https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.cfm
AS in EMS August 2010

Okay, thanks. Some of my CLEPS (and college!) courses are 30+ years old, and I didn't know if that could come up to bite me some time.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:Okay, thanks. Some of my CLEPS (and college!) courses are 30+ years old, and I didn't know if that could come up to bite me some time.

Like anything, it depends on college and degree. Although the name does not sound sexy, I do know with the Excelsior College Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts you can transfer in 120 credits, and they can be from a 100 years ago. That's the degree I am working on since I have 27 years of military experience and am a military aviator that needs a degree quick to get hired by the airlines. Some other degree programs, like business related, have an age limit on credits... I think like some accounting and/or other business classes can only be 10 or 15 years old for those business related degrees.

Don't quote me, but, they do have two options as far as residency. Take 12 credits through them, or pay some money I think. I am 99.99% sure that even if you did transfer in 120 credits, you'd still be required to take the Liberal Arts Capstone.

In August 2015, they eval'd me only needing 30 credits (having take 2 courses with them in 2009 for AA, and a History Class back in 1994) - all other was military.

Since then, I've taken Eng Comp II through Excelsior, Intro to World Religion DSST, Ethics in America DSST, Civil War DSST, and Vietnam War DSSTs. Taking Business Ethics DSST today, leaving 3 more DSST/CLEPs, and the CAPTONE to be taken in June.

I can't speak to any other college. Smile I'm sure they're all fine.

Good luck!
brown2am Wrote:I would just like to say thanks to this community for helping me to go 8/8 on CLEP exams. I am finishing up my associates degree and am leaning towards one of the big three schools mentioned on here. I would appreciate any pointers or any thing I am seriously overlooking. I am hoping to finish a few more CLEPS and make the transfer. I know nothing about DSST exams or anything else. Thanks a lot.
You did not say which degree you're looking to complete.

Your credits earned don't expire, although you may have an issue with any of the schools in computer courses. But since you don't have those, it's not an issue for you.

For a BSBA at TESU, you're halfway done. If I were you, I would do the following:

Take the AmGovt CLEP, but then stop doing the College Algebra one and switch to ALEKS for your math. You can take Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Precalculus and Statistics (don't need precalc but it will certainly come in handy). You need at least 3 math courses for the degree, and 2 of them have to be College Algebra and Statistics. ALEKS is $20/mo, and you can probably complete Int Alg & Coll Alg in a single month, maybe even all 4 of the courses in that time.

You need 4-7cr of science, none has to be a lab.

There are a couple of free courses you can take to add to your Gen Ed/Free Electives: Insurance Ethics and Kaplan PLA.

I would also suggest taking any Saylor courses that will fit into your degree: they have science, computer science, & managerial communications that will fit into your degree for $25 each.

Then you can take the more expensive options (TECEP's for $114 each, DSST's for $80 + testing center fees, SL or Study.com.

I'm attaching a spreadsheet for you, there are some different options for you to be able to take any courses you would like to, you can just substitute out. If you are unfamiliar with everything, you need to spend more time on the forum checking everything out.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">brown2am TESC 2017 BSBA GenMan cheap.xlsx (Size: 40.28 KB / Downloads: 0)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 724 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Is it a good idea to step into cybersecurity domain after graduting from management? rishu 7 1,081 01-06-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring ACE to Arizona State University harrit 35 6,265 08-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Last Post: gerbert
  7 Step Transformation Alpha 1 550 06-17-2021, 12:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ECE or WES for transferring credits, which is better? daharamu 3 1,224 04-28-2020, 03:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring the good with the bad credits jpotter702 5 1,211 02-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Transferring credits *to* University of the People wow 11 2,613 02-06-2020, 01:41 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Step by step for compiling credits for transfer? gingermama 11 2,439 09-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 2,002 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Transferring credits towards a bachelor help! Supreme1995 19 2,645 05-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore