Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No credits, but lots of life experience
Hi! I've been reading all the amazing threads and have learned a ton!  I'd love your advice on my situation. 

I live in North Carolina.
I'm in my mid-40s
Zero credits 

Due to life circumstances, I was unable to attend college out of high school. Shortly after, I entered a great career that required me to travel.  Since online degrees weren't popular then, I just put the idea of a degree on the shelf.  So I'm starting with zero college credits. 

However, I do have a lot of work experience!  I had a professional Account Management/Sales/Marketing career for 10 years, volunteered as a Court Appointed Special Advocate for 4 years, owned my own business for 6 years, completed a 3 year Master Teacher Apprenticeship (not accredited). Currently, I homeschool my children (and have for the past 10 years), and I teach literature/composition to homeschool high school students.    There are probably other things too, but those are the main things that come to mind.

Now that my eldest is entering 10th grade, I've been looking at the college options and became excited for the opportunities that may be available to me too!

Here are some of the questions swirling in my mind...

1) Does work/life experience count for anything in the college world in the persuit of a bachelors or masters degree?  

1b) If it does count, is it something that typically makes sense or is it too much hassle (esp for undergrad) 

2) While I don't have a pressing need for a degree now, but suspect if I were to enter the career world again after my kids are grown, it would help me tremendously.  Since I don't have a specific job in mind, but would like something quick, would it be it best to move forward with a UMPI or TESU degree in Business Administration?  

3) If I completed a single degree in Business Administration, how would it work to add on a Psychology degree later?  What would be the extra effort & time to complete a Psych degree instead of in Business Admin?  What would it be like to do it later if that was the direction I decided?

In short, for your children, get started with AP, CLEP/MS and ACE courses then ladder up with Dual Enrollment when in Junior/Senior grades. Basically, start AP and CLEP/MS, if you want to take some ACE/NCCRS courses, that would work as well. I suggest starting off with courses that interest you, there is no need to rush, take the ACE/CLEPs slowly and surely until you are ready for the next one as there really isn't a set order to get these credits...

Further to this, I suggest when they're in grade 10 or later, take courses at the community college as dual enrollment, it can be online or if you prefer, on campus if it's near. The main goal is to educate your child and obtain college credit at the same time, you should be able to get enough credits for an Associates by the time they finish Homeschool. If your child wants a real challenge, during the next few years, try to slowly get up to 90 credits with the ACE, AP & CLEP/MS, dual enrollment options towards a Bachelors, be it Business, Liberal Studies or whatever. Keep that door open to higher education, the credits will practically be "3" years of college education at a fraction of the price.

I would start with anything be it ACE/CLEP, etc, just to get started, essentially using these methods, you'll get the Freshman and Sophomore years incredibly cheap or very close to free, if you "resourcefully plan ahead" you can get Junior year the same way, it's usually the final year where you finish the Bachelors, is where it'll "cost" you as you really need to "finish" it at the school of choice. Try getting into dual enrollment for courses that aren't available by test out, something like a science with lab, a course that isn't alternative credit friendly (drama/theatre), or a language course where it provides more interaction with students/teacher.

For you, it's pretty much the same steps "sans (without) AP & Dual Enrollment". You should be thankful that the state you're in practically provides an inexpensive and close to FREE degree, so I would not suggest TESU/UMPI unless they're your last resort OR unless you're in a rush to finish the degrees in a year. Taking your time and working along with your children towards the same classes/exams would be an amazing opportunity to get credit together! North Carolina seems to be providing FREE college for first two years, to high school grads of 2020, 2021, 2022. Here's an example: https://www.rockinghamcc.edu/admissions-...eaf-cares/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Tedium
1&1b) PLA or Work/Life experience is usually a pretty involved process, if the school takes it at all. You're looking at a 3-5 page detailed paper for EACH credit that you try to add. With a lot of the methods popular on this forum for getting credit, you're better off using a different method.

2) You can go the business route. They have BLS options available at UMPI. BALS (Liberal Studies at TESU). Since you mentioned it a lot, is Business Admin. where you want to start out?

3) Every school is going to have their own policies for what they require of students in order for them to earn second degrees. Example: I want to finish at COSC and then move on to TAMUC for the BAAS, like in my signature. If I do that, TAMUC requires I take the 30 applied major courses for the degree, plus a Texas Government class. That means I have to take 33 credits, or 11 classes, on top of my Bachelor's from COSC. The usual you will see is 30 NEW credits AFTER the first degree. So, if you have some credits lying around that you didn't use for the first degree, you usually can't use them again for situations like this. It is doable to get a second degree in a new major, though, so don't get hung up on what your first major is.

Take a look at the TESU and UMPI degrees on the wiki and see if something jives with you. Then we can help you get started from there.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...University

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Starting from zero, those are probably the two fastest. Just remember, you have a lot of ground to cover, and time is not your friend because schools love to change their requirements just as you're closing in on the finish line. My advice to you is pick a degree like Business Admin. and run like hell to get your gen. eds done at somewhere like Sophia. It's actually good timing, because they are about to have a yearly plan again. It probably won't take you a year, but it will be nice to have the extra cushion.

Also, I would highly recommend ONU for a lot of your gen ed stuff. It's more work than Sophia, but they are great people and it's only $150 per class, only pay at the end when you finish.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

Let us know where you want to start after you peek around and we'll get you started!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
You need a bachelor's degree before a master's degree. You could complete PLAs which are prior learning assessments but they generally take a lot of time. You need to write papers and have documentation from managers to complete. They're generally not worth the time compared to completing ACE courses.

UMPI can be completed in 6 months. Several students have gone from 0 credits to graduated in 6 months. All because of the ACE credits.

What do you want to do? How would you use psych and business? Do you want to get into industrial/organization psychology? Is the psych just something you're interested in? You could complete both at TESU but you'll have to take more classes and it wouldn't be as fast as UMPI. You can always go for a psych master's degree but again what do you want to do with it?
If you just want a degree, I would definitely suggest alt-credit into UMPI for a BABA or BLS, as long as you love writing. If you have particular goals for a masters you might want to determine what those goals are so you know your bachelors will meet the requirements of whatever programs you're interested in.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
If you ultimately want a Psych degree, it's not any more expensive at TESU or EC to get that - not any more expensive, and not any more time-consuming. So get the degree you want the first go-round.

If you do want a business degree (or think it might be easier to get that with your years of experience, then definitely consider a BSBA from EC or TESU, or BABA from UMPI. I personally would probably do EC since I don't love the competency-based programs for myself (I am not good at sustaining a program for the long-haul, and do school in shorter bursts over longer times). But I also highly recommend UMPI for cost and speed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
(03-16-2022, 07:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you ultimately want a Psych degree, it's not any more expensive at TESU or EC to get that - not any more expensive, and not any more time-consuming.  So get the degree you want the first go-round.

One can get a psych degree in 6 months for under $3000 from TESU or EC? One can get a BABA or BLS from UMPI in 6 months for under $3K. Heck, there are people doing it for under $2K now.
(03-16-2022, 07:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 07:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you ultimately want a Psych degree, it's not any more expensive at TESU or EC to get that - not any more expensive, and not any more time-consuming.  So get the degree you want the first go-round.

One can get a psych degree in 6 months for under $3000 from TESU or EC? One can get a BABA or BLS from UMPI in 6 months for under $3K. Heck, there are people doing it for under $2K now.

I was not comparing TESU/EC Psych degree to UMPI - because UMPI does not have a Psych degree.  I was comparing the price of a BSBA at TESU vs. a Psych degree at TESU.  Or a BSB at EC vs. a Psych degree at EC.  It's not cheaper at either school to do a BSBA vs. Psych.  So if the OP ultimately wants a Psych degree, then I'd go with TESU or EC.  No sense paying $3000+ courses to get a BABA or BLS at UMPI and THEN going back to TESU or EC for a Psych degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
(03-16-2022, 08:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:  No sense paying $3000+ courses to get a BABA or BLS at UMPI and THEN going back to TESU or EC for a Psych degree.

That's why I asked why they wanted the psych degree. Better to figure out why you a specific degree and how you're planning on using it than just going for the fastest or cheapest degree especially if you want to go get a second degree later. At TESU you can get 2 degrees at the same time. Can't do that at many schools unfortunately. And going for a second bachelor's degree can be problematic like with Excelsior you need to complete a brand new 30 UL credits after the first degree is conferred. That's a total pain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,176 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,337 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  best way to get a CS degree for people with experience? bwokbwok 8 398 03-20-2024, 06:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 385 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 891 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 599 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 343 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 419 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 258 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  A lot of credits trying to get a quick degree! Aehsahs 3 585 01-04-2024, 05:31 PM