Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waiting to hear if Dh has to start chemo again. You guys rock.
Long day today. My Dh has leukemia, thank God it is non aggressive, but it is insidious. It keeps creeping back in. I work full time, nights with the mentally and physically handicapped, direct care, which means cooking, cleaning toilets and wiping behinds! I also am the minister for a lovely little country church. Syodically appointed, not ordained. I did take some classes from a seminary. No college. I went to 9th, 10th grade in high school, skipped 11th then dropped out in 12th. I went back as an adult and finished, but had low opinions about my future ability to do anything involving math or chemistry. I am so excited about being able to find and take this route. Your advice here and encouragement means the world to me. I have just finished my first Aleks course (not college level) and have started my second. The next one will be my first college level. Surprise, surprise, I love it!
One of the many nice things about my job at night is the time I have to work on classes. (Awake position but lots of free time). I have enrolled in Excelsior, though have not communicated with an adviser yet. Actually, I am amazed they accepted me! Thanks to you folks I feel that I can do it. All of it. I just wanted to give you more info in case you were curious. And, because if dh has to have chemo again... well, it is hard, as some of you know, all too well. So far you have directed me to Aleks, figured out what to do about my computer and how to change to another course at Aleks. I am going to sign up for my first Clep test too. (Again, after reading your posts, I am going to do the one on sociology.)
I look forward to a time when I might might be able to pay it forward here, in appreciation for all you have done.
I'm sorry to hear about your DH. It is a testament to you that you are able to push forward with your education under the circumstances. In the last six months I've lost a brother, a grand parent, and my mother had a stroke which complete incapacitated her. Since my father (who raised me) passed away when I was 18 and she never remarried the brunt of those responsibilities are falling in my lap (even though I saw her maybe 5 times my whole life)...Long Story. Meanwhile I'm taking care of an autistic child who is transitioning into middle school. Sometime it just all seems like too much. But, I am thankful for God's grace (not sure of your beliefs and not trying to offend you). I'm not in competition for the "whoa is me" but I just wanted to share that so that you can know I and others appreciate your struggle and your drive to succeed no matter what comes your way. Some of the most dedicated people I know are on this forum and I'm proud to be in their company.

Today my mother's insurance company decided no more care at the rehabilitation center (it's only been three weeks) so they are releasing her today. She still can't do ANYTHING without assistance but they have decided she is ready to go home...go figure.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I'm also very sorry to hear about your DH, but he's lucky to have such an amazing person by his side.

Don't ever feel bad about your past academic "failures" because you can learn more from this than people who have had an easier life. Also, don't think that you can't do math or chemistry. I remember being told as a little girl that boys were good at math/science and I believed it! However, I learned with ALEKS and Khan Academy that I am actually good at math! I never got past geometry in high school, yet have managed to do all of the work needed to get through multiple finance courses at the undergrad and graduate level.

Just stick to it and you'll make it. The hardest part of college as an adult is just being disciplined enough to carve out study time daily and sticking to a testing or class schedule. I have no doubt that you can do it if you put your mind to it!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
siloliquy, and burbuja, first thank you. DH is getting a cat scan right now. Yes, this forum is FANTASTIC! I hope you can quickly appeal the insurance's decision. Sometimes those are pre specified time lines but can be overturned with a doctor's recommendation. Sounds like you have your hands full.
Good news on DH. Looking good, numbers are going south but not bad enough to start chemo. DD made us chili and neighbors set up a scavenger hunt for us when we got back. Tired but happy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Trump Get Impeached Twice, Kanye West and Taylor Swift. We Didn't Start the Fire. LevelUP 1 504 07-17-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Toyota kills physical remote start... bjcheung77 5 747 12-17-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Vonne
  OpenClassrooms start-up raises $80 million bjcheung77 0 548 05-17-2021, 07:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CompTIA (A+, Net+, Sec+ etc) to start offering online testing (via ProctorU) jsd 1 2,446 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  You may want to start investing in Aluminum! Prloko 1 771 04-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Last Post: SuzanneD
  Out Of Classroom Guys ShotoJuku 2 1,026 01-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Out Of Town Guys ShotoJuku 8 1,094 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Anyone wanna start a fandom group? snowwhite 6 1,075 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Last Post: JBtesc
  Hey guys, who wants an InstantCert t-shirt? sgloer 46 6,178 06-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Elinor
  Professor Departs Stanford U., Hoping to Teach 500,000 Students at Online Start-Up IrishJohn 5 1,170 01-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Last Post: dcan