Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Law degrees
Right off the bat I want to say that I have zero intentions of ever practicing law, ever. My girlfriend is a college professor and recently I’ve been envying her career choice more and more. When I get out of the military I would like to follow her path and become a professor at the community college I started at. Ideally I would want to be a criminal justice professor.

I plan on having my undergrad done at UMPI by July and my MBA from WGU done by Feb 2023.

Of course this gives me a resume solid enough to be considered but just a Pre-Law minor doesn’t exactly show that I have enough knowledge in criminal justice to be selected over other candidates.

By the time I finish my MBA I will have about 4 years left on my military contract, just enough time to fit a JD in there.

My question is would a JD from Concord Law (Purdue Global) or Northwestern Cali. University or any other online law school grant me a legitimate JD? I know I can only sit for the bar in Cali. But again I have no intentions of actually practicing law, I just want to pad my resume and have a doctorate level degree should I ever get an opportunity to teach at a 4 year University.
ABA-approved law schools with approved distance education J.D. programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal...-programs/

University of Dayton School of Law
Loyola Law School (Los Angeles)
Mitchell Hamline College of Law
University of New Hampshire School of Law
St. Mary’s University School of Law
Seattle University School of Law
South Texas College of Law-Houston
Suffolk University Law School
Syracuse University College of Law
Vermont Law School

I'd also recommend looking at postings through HigherEdJobs, nearby community colleges, etc. to find out whether you'd meet the requirements of criminal justice faculty with a JD.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
The California Committee of Bar Examiners is not a USDOED or CHEA recognized accrediting agency. A law school approved or accredited only by Cal Bar is unlikely to be considered regionally, nationally, or institutionally accredited in the context of college instructor credentialing.

Northwestern California University, for example, holds no DOED or CHEA recognized accreditation. Some Cal Bar non-ABA schools do hold RA, including Concord through Purdue Global.

A huge part of a JD will have nothing to do with criminal justice, and a large part of college instruction in criminal justice won't be addressed in the core courses of a JD and might not be addressed in any elective courses in a given JD either.

If it were easy for a JD, and what's more a JD who might not have passed the bar or practiced law for a day, to get a college teaching job in another field related to law, would we have heard so much for the past ten or twenty years about an employment crisis among law school grads?
I do appreciate your list and I will check out those links but my question was if non ABA-Approved degrees were still legitimate doctorate level degrees regardless of their standing with the ABA.

(05-01-2022, 10:07 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: The California Committee of Bar Examiners is not a USDOED or CHEA recognized accrediting agency. A law school approved or accredited only by Cal Bar is unlikely to be considered regionally, nationally, or institutionally accredited in the context of college instructor credentialing.

Northwestern California University, for example, holds no DOED or CHEA recognized accreditation. Some Cal Bar non-ABA schools do hold RA, including Concord through Purdue Global.

A huge part of a JD will have nothing to do with criminal justice, and a large part of college instruction in criminal justice won't be addressed in the core courses of a JD and might not be addressed in any elective courses in a given JD either.

If it were easy for a JD, and what's more a JD who might not have passed the bar or practiced law for a day, to get a college teaching job in another field related to law, would we have heard so much for the past ten or twenty years about an employment crisis among law school grads?
So a degree from Concord Law through Purdue is a real degree regardless if I take the Cal Bar? 

I've looked through the course lists of many Law Schools and they seem to be right on par with the the courses of the school I want to teach at. At least on the surface, they have the same titles and similar descriptions. Criminal Justice is a double edged blade and can be related to police and policing or legal studies. Criminal Justice isn't just for those who want to go into law enforcement. 

I didn't say I was looking for an easy JD, I just don't want to take on a house sized debt if I don't have to. The listed qualifications for most CCs is just a masters degree, I would get a JD to go above and beyond.
[-] The following 1 user Likes evanmonast's post:
  • back2thefuture
(05-01-2022, 10:09 AM)evanmonast Wrote: I do appreciate your list and I will check out those links but my question was if non ABA-Approved degrees were still legitimate doctorate level degrees regardless of their standing with the ABA.

(05-01-2022, 10:07 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: The California Committee of Bar Examiners is not a USDOED or CHEA recognized accrediting agency. A law school approved or accredited only by Cal Bar is unlikely to be considered regionally, nationally, or institutionally accredited in the context of college instructor credentialing.

So a degree from Concord Law through Purdue is a real degree regardless if I take the Cal Bar? 

I've looked through the course lists of many Law Schools and they seem to be right on par with the the courses of the school I want to teach at. At least on the surface, they have the same titles and similar descriptions. Criminal Justice is a double edged blade and can be related to police and policing or legal studies. Criminal Justice isn't just for those who want to go into law enforcement. 

I didn't say I was looking for an easy JD, I just don't want to take on a house sized debt if I don't have to. The listed qualifications for most CCs is just a masters degree, I would get a JD to go above and beyond.

Yes, it's a "real degree" in that it's from a regionally accredited school. For almost any faculty position, "above and beyond" would mean a PhD in Criminal Justice and not a JD. Positions that require a JD will most likely specify an ABA-approved program as preferred or required. That's why I suggested you look at position listings.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • louise
@OP, I wouldn't spend that much cash on a JD degree from Concord, I would however look into getting a Masters in CJ/Law related subjects and then when you're working, see if you have tuition assistance/reimbursement. I think there are many online JD programs in California, you don't have to go for an RA, if NA would work, there's Taft Law School, or even a State Recognized program may do, but I usually recommend either NA or RA when you're at the doctorate level.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-01-2022, 11:38 AM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 10:09 AM)evanmonast Wrote: I do appreciate your list and I will check out those links but my question was if non ABA-Approved degrees were still legitimate doctorate level degrees regardless of their standing with the ABA.

Yes, it's a "real degree" in that it's from a regionally accredited school. For almost any faculty position, "above and beyond" would mean a PhD in Criminal Justice and not a JD. Positions that require a JD will most likely specify an ABA-approved program as preferred or required. That's why I suggested you look at position listings.

I went to the school over the course of 4 years and don’t think I ran into a single PhD holder in any of my courses Gen. Ed. or Criminal Justice. No positions require a JD.

Is it enough that the school is regionally accredited or does the specific program’s accreditation matter?

I failed to mention in my original post that I needed a completely online program and ideally under $1300/credit too. Unfortunately none of those options I could entertain due to the residency requirements anyway but again I thank you for the input.

(05-01-2022, 11:44 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, I wouldn't spend that much cash on a JD degree from Concord, I would however look into getting a Masters in CJ/Law related subjects and then when you're working, see if you have tuition assistance/reimbursement. I think there are many online JD programs in California, you don't have to go for an RA, if NA would work, there's Taft Law School, or even a State Recognized program may do, but I usually recommend either NA or RA when you're at the doctorate level.

I was thinking about going for a Master of Law and Public Policy but I was just afraid of it’s limited use vs an MBA. But that’s certainly something I’ll have to consider, the head of the CJ department actually holds a Master of Law degree or something with a similar title!
If you want to teach Criminal Justice, this would be more appropriate.

https://info.waldenu.edu/walden-programs...lsrc=aw.ds

A law degree would not bring anything to the table.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • louise

I know that I'm opening a small can of worms with this but, IMOHO, a JD is not a Doctoral degree.  I consider it to be a Masters-level degree.  I know that there are some who disagree and that's fine.  I'm bringing it up as I think it may not be seen as an adequate credential for full-time teaching in the Criminal Justice field at the university level.  I think there are a lot of people with PhDs in CJ competing for those jobs.  This is not to say the JD, as you've described it, is not a legitimate degree.  But in general, the JD is for those interested in practising law, not teaching CJ.  If you go forward with the JD I'd strongly suggest a program that allows you to take the bar exam (there are those that don't).  You may not want to practise law today but you don't know that you'll feel the same way in 20 years.  
JD = Juris Doctorate

How is that not a doctorate? It is NOT a master's degree. A master's in law is a LLM = Master of Law.

JD is 80+ credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 11 1,030 3 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Master degrees hicham78h 1 227 Today, 02:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 287 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 18,102 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 354 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 633 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 541 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 696 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 389 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 589 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone