Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online foreign language courses?
It takes awhile before you fully get a grasp of grammar in Rosetta Stone. I couldn't really tell you how long it would take in Pimsleur since I only tried Farsi and they only have one level for that language. I took Spanish for 3 years in high school and have a pretty good grasp of Spanish grammar. I tried using Rosetta Stone to pick up on vocabulary, which it seems to be good for, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for grammar. You could probably learn grammar faster by picking up a book. Michael Thomas' program is supposed to be really good for grammar.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Athabasca University in Canada has quite a few options and they have US regional accreditation. The University of Louisiana-Monor actually offers a BA in French via distance learning so you may be able to pick up some UL courses there assuming they allow non-matriculated students to take those courses.
Yanji Wrote:If you just want to learn a language at home, it doesn't really get any faster/easier than Pimsleur + a good reading/writing book. I cannot recommend Pimsleur for Chinese though because they teach the Beijing dialect which is regarded quite poorly outside China and even in some parts of South China.

I've used Pimsleur, and I can say that it'll at least help you get used to the "sound" of the language and help with listening comprehension. But TBH, all the courses and programs out there are going to teach the Beijing dialect, because whether one prefers it or not, that is the standard. (Unless you take classes in Taiwan...Big Grin) Yanji, if I may ask, have you had trouble with negative perceptions of the Beijing dialect? It's more of a cultural than linguistic hangup, and if the OP is not of Chinese heritage, it won't be much of a problem. *sticking my neck out here* No offense, please. Unfortunately there truly is some negativity about the Beijing dialect, but from experience, I don't think that should be much of an issue.

As for a reading/writing program, try this series. Choose from traditional or simplified characters. Amazon.com: CHINESE MADE EASY TEXTBOOK 1 (WITH CD) - TRADITIONAL (2ND EDITION) (English and Chinese Edition) (9789620425943): Yamin Ma, Xinying Li: Books

It really depends on your goals. Is this for personal enrichment, college credit, or work? Whatever you do, all the best!
AA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Dec. 2012
BA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Sept. 2013
16 CLEPs, 6 DSSTs, 12 FEMAs, and a handful of B&M lab science courses
120/120 credits DONE :hurray:

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”
I did not get to follow this all the way through to earning credit for CLEP, but here is another resource to consider for French:

Français interactif - by the University of Texas - It has a nice combination of vocabulary and grammar lessons, listening practice, exercises/quizzes, plus short videos.

It also has this link, which may offer materials for other languages:

COERLL | Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Oh yeah, I forgot about Oregon State. They offer a few languages online and enough German courses to earn a minor designation on your OSU transcript.

Snickerdoodle Wrote:But TBH, all the courses and programs out there are going to teach the Beijing dialect, because whether one prefers it or not, that is the standard. (Unless you take classes in Taiwan...Big Grin) Yanji, if I may ask, have you had trouble with negative perceptions of the Beijing dialect? It's more of a cultural than linguistic hangup, and if the OP is not of Chinese heritage, it won't be much of a problem.!
I have to agree with you there. The issue of Simplified/Traditional characters will be a thorny question to OP as with everyone, but he'll just have to decide what his goals are and take it from there. I used to speak a Northern dialect of Chinese when I was a kid but I dropped the erhua and "sh" sounds fast when I moved to Taiwan... but that won't be an issue for someone who doesn't look Chinese as you said.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:I have to agree with you there. The issue of Simplified/Traditional characters will be a thorny question to OP as with everyone, but he'll just have to decide what his goals are and take it from there. I used to speak a Northern dialect of Chinese when I was a kid but I dropped the erhua and "sh" sounds fast when I moved to Taiwan... but that won't be an issue for someone who doesn't look Chinese as you said.

And besides, it's difficult for a non-native speaker to really develop any type of Chinese accent. I grew up listening to Cantonese, and my Mandarin does not have a Cantonese accent. It has a terrible, horrible, American accent and lies somewhere between the Beijing (my textbooks) and Taiwanese (my friends and relations) dialects. XD That's the curse of being born in America.
AA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Dec. 2012
BA Liberal Studies, Thomas Edison State College-Sept. 2013
16 CLEPs, 6 DSSTs, 12 FEMAs, and a handful of B&M lab science courses
120/120 credits DONE :hurray:

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 29 6,015 5 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 1 74 04-26-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 848 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,174 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 299 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 436 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,451 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 354 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,844 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 785 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh