Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions…. Do you request a name change?
I have no idea what happened to my diploma from 1997.  I have moved several times since then.  It could be lost or packed away in a forgotten box.  So I was thinking of ordering a new one, just because.   That also got me thinking…..  I got married years ago, so I have a new name.  I can’t decide if I want to bother with doing a name change or just order with my old name.  So, I am curious what others would do.  I am kind of leaning toward leaving it as is, because that is how I earned it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Are you talking about your high school diploma? I haven't seen mine since 1988, when I promptly put it aside and never looked at it again. I've never had to show it to anyone in all these years.

Also, I don't think you can ask for name changes on them - they re-issue them as they were originally issued.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'd leave it as is. The school may not change it. Some of them are weird about things like this. They may require you to show proof of your name change. That's always fun! When I got married 25 years ago I kept my last name and added my husband's last name. All of my degrees just have my last name printed on them. Why? Professionally I only use my last name. Legally I have both. If something were to ever happen such as divorce then I would just drop his last name and not have to state at it on my degrees forever. Many women today don't change their name. Some are hyphenated. I don't have a hyphen. I have 2 separate last names which confuses people but when they try to spell or pronounce my husband's last name they now understand why I kept my last name. I have an odd first name which no one can pronounce or spell. I need something someone can say! LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Novo, Vle045
(07-27-2021, 09:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Are you talking about your high school diploma?  I haven't seen mine since 1988, when I promptly put it aside and never looked at it again.  I've never had to show it to anyone in all these years.

Also, I don't think you can ask for name changes on them - they re-issue them as they were originally issued.

No, I am talking about my bachelor’s degree.  I doubt I would actually show it to anyone.  I might put it up in my home office, if anything.  I printed the form to reorder and it mention the option for a name change on it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(07-27-2021, 09:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Are you talking about your high school diploma?  I haven't seen mine since 1988, when I promptly put it aside and never looked at it again.  I've never had to show it to anyone in all these years.

Her signature says she earned a BA in 1997. I'm guessing that's the diploma she's referring to.
(07-27-2021, 09:01 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I'd leave it as is. The school may not change it. Some of them are weird about things like this. They may require you to show proof of your name change. That's always fun! When I got married 25 years ago I kept my last name and added my husband's last name. All of my degrees just have my last name printed on them. Why? Professionally I only use my last name. Legally I have both. If something were to ever happen such as divorce then I would just drop his last name and not have to state at it on my degrees forever. Many women today don't change their name. Some are hyphenated. I don't have a hyphen. I have 2 separate last names which confuses people but when they try to spell or pronounce my husband's last name they now understand why I kept my last name. I have an odd first name which no one can pronounce or spell. I need something someone can say! LOL

Those are some good points.  Yeah, they do want proof of the name change.  I guess I probably have a semi-unique situation.  My mom remarried when I was little and had her new husband adopt me.  they later divorced and i haven’t seen nor heard from my “father” since maybe 1996.  So I have literally zero attachment to the last name.  I would never go back to it for any reason.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(07-27-2021, 09:05 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 09:01 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I'd leave it as is. The school may not change it. Some of them are weird about things like this. They may require you to show proof of your name change. That's always fun! When I got married 25 years ago I kept my last name and added my husband's last name. All of my degrees just have my last name printed on them. Why? Professionally I only use my last name. Legally I have both. If something were to ever happen such as divorce then I would just drop his last name and not have to state at it on my degrees forever. Many women today don't change their name. Some are hyphenated. I don't have a hyphen. I have 2 separate last names which confuses people but when they try to spell or pronounce my husband's last name they now understand why I kept my last name. I have an odd first name which no one can pronounce or spell. I need something someone can say! LOL

Those are some good points.  Yeah, they do want proof of the name change.  I guess I probably have a semi-unique situation.  My mom remarried when I was little and had her new husband adopt me.  they later divorced and i haven’t seen nor heard from my “father” since maybe 1996.  So I have literally zero attachment to the last name.  I would never go back to it for any reason.
Given that you really have no connection to the name, OP, I'd opt for the name change if I were in your situation.  It may mean a bit more work on your part showing proof of your name change, however, I can understand your feelings about the last name of a man you haven't seen or heard from in 25 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CatsDomino's post:
  • Vle045
Try to get it in your new name.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Vle045
I am a Chiropractor so had my degrees and licenses framed and hanging in my office. When I got married I had them all changed because, professionally, I was using my new name so I just wanted everything to line up. If I hadn't been in a professional situation and my degrees were just for me at home, I wouldn't have bothered to change it. But I had no emotional attachment to it either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 1,639 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  In ‘Historic’ Vote, UVA Students Vote to Change 180-Year-Old Honor Policy LevelUP 0 829 03-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  [CC] Opportunity to change B- into PASS/FAIL credit Lightorb333 5 1,048 09-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
Question Recommended Coding Programs? (career change) MNomadic 15 2,080 04-14-2021, 01:12 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Can I change the course of coopersmith after I buy it? qiaoyiren 2 786 03-31-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
Exclamation Anyone else notice a BIG change in the ACE National Guide? MNomadic 18 3,496 11-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: AZDan
  TOEFL request for international studentes cecilgambe7 11 1,988 08-13-2019, 04:16 AM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
Exclamation EC-Fee Change Effective August 26 TheMaskedMutant 4 1,281 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Request for Advice: Credits I have and what degree I should go for at Excelsior beautifulpsalms 16 2,926 06-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Last Post: beautifulpsalms
  IT Security Career Change Mid-Career? DBRENNAN118 30 6,600 12-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Last Post: ajs1976a