Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options after TESU Finance BSBA
Strongly considering taking the path to getting a TESU Finance degree immediately post-high school, so there will be no significant prior work history in the field. Layering coursework in during high school, anticipate being able to graduate significantly earlier. The alternative is to go the traditional state school route for undergrad and incur a lot more debt and have it take a lot more time.

Basically wondering what the best options post-grad would be to get the foot in the door after TESU without having a brick and mortar experience that funnels into internship opportunities.  Interested in eventually working in a corporate environment as a financial manager.  Given that the BSBA will be finished by the age of 19, wondering whether it would be most advantageous to use the money that was saved on the front end of undergrad college education to go right into an AACSB MBA program with networking connections and internship opportunities.  Since most classes for undergraduate degree will be transferred in through alternate means, graded credits will be limited to the 30 RA credits (24 of which will be through ASU UL so ASU GPA transcript should be good).  Assuming it is best to have many graded credits in core business classes.

How difficult is entering a more competitive MBA program with only 30 graded credits?  Suggestions on steps to take if I choose achieving a more affordable undergraduate degree to leverage debt towards the MBA.  Assuming from a work opportunity perspective, given the circumstances, it would be best to do some brick and mortar work for MBA for networking and career path opportunities.  Any and all advice appreciated.  TIA
Does TESU accept 19 year olds? Last week I read something on the website requiring students to be 22. I'm not sure if that was program specific or if that's TESU's overall policy.

As for the MBA, every program has different requirements. What schools are you looking at? The word competitive is meaningless.
You normally need to be 21 or 22, but you can become a student as young as 18 if you have prior credits and fill out an age waiver request. They do NOT accept students younger than 18, no matter how many prior credits you have!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Will be 18 or 19 by the time looking to graduate TESU.  Since just starting out in a career, just wondering how difficult it will be to make a next step with an online degree.  Will grad school be the best next option, and how difficult is that with only 30 graded credits.TIA
(07-27-2022, 01:17 PM)Juju7 Wrote: Will be 18 or 19 by the time looking to graduate TESU.  Since just starting out in a career, just wondering how difficult it will be to make a next step with an online degree.  Will grad school be the best next option, and how difficult is that with only 30 graded credits.TIA

Most employers aren't going to be able to tell, or care, if your degree is "online" or not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Fews degrees and diplomas say online on them. The big give away is if you go to a school with global in the name like Purdue Global, UMass Global, UMGC, etc. Many people also know WGU is an online only school. If you choose a school with a campus and complete an online degree no one will ever know unless you tell them.
It's a bit confusing on a few fronts, here's the breakdown I see and a bit of advice. 1) You didn't indicate this is for your child and not you as the parent.  2) TESU or any of the ones we recommend are "recognized & valid" universities.  3) The schools you should focus on are local, public/state universities first.  4) Review requirements for the MBA or Masters you're interested in, hit all the prerequisites.

To add: Don't be afraid that your child is getting an education using alternative methods, this is similar to homeschool students being able to attend the local public/state university.  Schools want students with the majority of the requirements fulfilled.  I just updated a post from you here, I suggest you read through this response; https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid372881
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I personally would do the BABA/Accounting at UMPI, with 90cr through ACE first; so then you'll have at least 30 graded credits when you graduate. Then you can get your MBA with Finance concentration. I'd choose a local (to you) state school with a reputable program. I would not pay a fortune for it. But even if you do pay a lot, you could go into it with zero debt and a bachelor's degree.

Another option: get a job at a company that pays for tuition. My kid works at Papa John's, and they pay 100% of her tuition at Purdue Global (they don't have a Finance degree). But there are lots of other companies who will pay. That will enable you to get a lot more money for school, and then you can go somewhere more expensive if you'd like. Most are making you choose from a list of schools at this point, they're not giving cash, they are giving the money directly to schools like Bellevue University or UMGC or whatever. But again, getting a paid-for bachelor's degree while working as few as 20 hours a week will certainly enable you to save up for that master's program.

Just a quick note: for the Purdue Global program, you can take 2 classes per term, which is 10 classes a year. x 4 years if you were to go straight traditional. But they accept ACE, and have a lot of free electives, so all of her CC classes transferred, and then she's doing Study.com for the rest - all while doing her major courses at PurdueGlobal. Almost every school that participates in the Guild Education partnership that Chipotle, Walmart, Target, Taco Bell, etc. use accept ACE credit. So that's a very fast way to get through a "traditional" program.

If you want to go ham on free CLEP exams now while you're figuring things out, it certainly can't hurt to do so.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the responses. As a homeschooling parent I get to wear many hats, and now that my oldest is in his second year of high school, guidance counselor has become my big new role. My husband and I both went the traditional school and grad school route (with the lovely student loan debt that comes along with that….I have an English BA from Boston University and MS in Communication Disorders from UT Dallas….husband BA iin Biology and BS in Anatomy from BU and Doctor of Chiropractic).
Our son is very goal-driven and has specific financial goals and real estate plans lined up decades into the future. At present, since homeschooling, we are able to coordinate high school learning while working towards a degree simultaneously. He is just finishing up college algebra at ASU and we plan to take advantage of their UL offerings to meet various gen ed and RA requirements. Very feasibly he could get earn his HS degree and a college degree at nearly the same time. We are used to having to pay out of pocket for course materials and enrichment, so it makes sense to have it covering HS and college when possible. Also considering using the extra time he saves by completing a degree early to grab a second degree in Computer Science via WGU. He hopes that he can just pay for the second degree while working after he finishes the first one. I assume the fair shake of the credits he would earn towards the TESU degree through ACE, CLEP and ASU credit could be applied there as well. I assume showing a wide breadth of computer knowledge would open up even more doors and come in handy in corporate finance and make it easier to land jobs that allow for career mobility. Thanks again. Once we choose a path, I’ll have him set up his own account here so he can ask questions as they arise.
(07-27-2022, 06:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Another option: get a job at a company that pays for tuition.  My kid works at Papa John's, and they pay 100% of her tuition at Purdue Global (they don't have a Finance degree). 

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...ce-degree/

PUG actually has both a bachelor's and a master's in finance. Neither is offered on the ExcelTrack but instead on the semester-type program. 

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...ce-degree/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,523 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 599 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 499 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 521 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,322 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 248 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 398 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 285 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27