Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oregon State Online's Second Bachelors and similar degree programs
Hello all. Long time lurker here who's preparing to return to school. Thought I'd plunge in by starting a thread.

I noticed that Oregon State is offering a second bachelors degree in C.S. and they waive distribution requirements. So, all you need to take is 14 computer science courses. (One of those courses, Discrete Structures, is basically a math course.) The only math prerequisite is Precalculus.

The program ain't cheap at $630 a credit hour, but a second degree in Computer Science from a recognized university for just less than $9000 total? That strikes me as being an attractive value proposition. But I'd love to hear the opinions of others. The members here are a terrific source of knowledge and experience. I'm just getting my feet wet.

What I like about this program is how they waived distribution requirements so you don't need to bother with general courses. I'd be interested to learn of other schools offering similar math/stats/c.s second bachelors degrees that only require completion of major courses.
mycroft Wrote:Hello all. Long time lurker here who's preparing to return to school. Thought I'd plunge in by starting a thread.

I noticed that Oregon State is offering a second bachelors degree in C.S. and they waive distribution requirements. So, all you need to take is 14 computer science courses. (One of those courses, Discrete Structures, is basically a math course.) The only math prerequisite is Precalculus.

The program ain't cheap at $630 a credit hour, but a second degree in Computer Science from a recognized university for just less than $9000 total? That strikes me as being an attractive value proposition. But I'd love to hear the opinions of others. The members here are a terrific source of knowledge and experience. I'm just getting my feet wet.

What I like about this program is how they waived distribution requirements so you don't need to bother with general courses. I'd be interested to learn of other schools offering similar math/stats/c.s second bachelors degrees that only require completion of major courses.

I thought it was a 60 credit program?

*Students must complete 60 credits of major courses in order to graduate.
FilMor Wrote:I thought it was a 60 credit program?

*Students must complete 60 credits of major courses in order to graduate.

That's odd. I didn't notice that statement. But it doesn't make any sense, because they also say,
"Students do not have to take the core courses required of a bachelor's degree because they already completed those in their first bachelor's degree program. Students take only the required courses for computer science so it is possible for a student to graduate within a year."

And, according to Oregon State's catalog, it's possible to earn a second baccalaureate with 32 credits in the major. On the other hand, it also says something about a 45 credit residency requirement. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a straight answer (LOL).
mycroft Wrote:That's odd. I didn't notice that statement. But it doesn't make any sense, because they also say,
"Students do not have to take the core courses required of a bachelor's degree because they already completed those in their first bachelor's degree program. Students take only the required courses for computer science so it is possible for a student to graduate within a year."

And, according to Oregon State's catalog, it's possible to earn a second baccalaureate with 32 credits in the major. On the other hand, it also says something about a 45 credit residency requirement. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a straight answer (LOL).

630 x 45 ouch Sad

Better off with the Umass Information Technology degree + Certifications.
I emailed and 45 credits is the minimum you need to take to satisfy OSU's residency rule. Ouch.
The general idea is interesting though.

By the way, I think there is an issue of quarter hours, too. 45 credit residency is like 30 semester hours. 60 credit major is like 40 semester hours. That increases the cost again. Planning Your Degree -- Enrollment & Services -- Oregon State University -- Extended Campus -- Ecampus
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
OSU's online Computer Science degree is supposed to look the same as the degree issued by the brick and mortar school (which is ABET accredited). I think somebody with an employer ready to foot the bill will find it appealing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 4 101 3 hours ago
Last Post: sanantone
  Online Linear Algebra Course (Except SNHU) sjdkn1 3 154 6 hours ago
Last Post: inor
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,690 04-28-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 981 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 364 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 768 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 496 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,634 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 426 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 10,113 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior