Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Other BSBA Programs allow max alternative credit?
Question 
Besides the Big 3, which other online Bachelor's of Biz Admin programs allow lots of alternative credit (CLEP, DSST, SDC)?

And would it be easier to do this with a typical university if I had an Associate's from one of the BIG 3 first? (So that I could bring in an AS and transfer in alt credit courses)

Please share what you know.

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
WGU let's you transfer in ~90 credits. A few of the other competency based programs have similar credit transfer policies but people here haven't tried them out yet.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(06-27-2019, 12:36 AM)SCYankee Wrote: Besides the Big 3, which other online Bachelor's of Biz Admin programs allow lots of alternative credit (CLEP, DSST, SDC)?

And would it be easier to do this with a typical university if I had an Associate's from one of the BIG 3 first? (So that I could bring in an AS and transfer in alt credit courses)

The reason the Big 3 are called the Big 3 is because they are extremely alternate credit friendly and allow you to transfer in up to 114 (or 117) credits towards their degrees. Each school can choose for themselves whether to accept transfer credits and how many. Most colleges allow between 30-60 transfer credits. The highest will allow up to 90 credits (like WGU). This assumes they are of an accepted accreditation (RA -> RA or NA/RA -> NA).

As for working with a more traditional university, unless it is a college that has an articulation agreement for associate degrees from the school you earned your AA, there is no guarantee that an AA from any college will be accepted as a block transfer in to meet requirements at any other college. More likely the courses will be evaluated individually to see where they fit into the program at the new school, up to whatever their allowance is for credit transfers. As for alternative credits, few colleges accept them at all. If they do, they will typically accept a limited number of AP/CLEP credits. If they accept ACE credits then that opens the door to more options, but it will probably be limited to 30 credits or so.

TL;DR if you want to transfer in the majority of your degree as alternative credits, the best options are the big 3. If you're happy with transferring in 60-90 alternative credits then your options expand to include schools like WGU or NAU (which accepts up to 64 ACE credits). Beyond that, most schools don't accept much in the way of alternative credits; if they accept them at all it is usually around 30.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • SCYankee
I have a list of schools that will take 90cr, but they will all cost upwards of $10k; so if you're looking at a BSBA, there's no sense looking at something MORE expensive than the Big 3 or WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-27-2019, 12:36 AM)SCYankee Wrote: Besides the Big 3, which other online Bachelor's of Biz Admin programs allow lots of alternative credit (CLEP, DSST, SDC)?

Thanks.

West Virginia University RBA degree allows ACE credits - but you must complete 24 credits at WV online schools - such as WVROCKS courses which are $669 per course.  2 UL courses need to be completed at WVU which are about $1000 each.

A trick with them, although it no longer works, you were able to use all 24 ALEKS credits and ACTFL English language exam for something like 50+ credits.  But neither are fully ACE approved anymore.  

No math is a benefit with this degree.

https://rba.wvu.edu/
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • Leedeedee, SCYankee
(06-27-2019, 02:18 AM)videogamesrock Wrote:

Thanks.

West Virginia University RBA degree allows ACE credits - but you must complete 24 credits at WV online schools - such as WVROCKS courses which are $669 per course.  2 UL courses need to be completed at WVU which are about $1000 each.

A trick with them, although it no longer works, you were able to use all 24 ALEKS credits and ACTFL English language exam for something like 50+ credits.  But neither are fully ACE approved anymore.  

I'm looking into one RBA program from Marshall but the tuition increased for the fall. It's almost $800 now per class for WVRocks and some of the courses require like 4-8 books so I don't know about the level of commitment yet. 

One other option is University of Maine PI YourPace.  I think they are cool and flexible and seem to take a bunch of alternative credit. They are competency based and take fafsa too, no books needed.
(06-27-2019, 02:37 AM)Stoic Wrote:

Thanks.

I'm looking into one RBA program from Marshall but the tuition increased for the fall. It's almost $800 now per class for WVRocks and some of the courses require like 4-8 books so I don't know about the level of commitment yet. 

One other option is University of Maine PI YourPace.  I think they are cool and flexible and seem to take a bunch of alternative credit. They are competency based and take fafsa too, no books needed.

That’s a bummer regarding tuition.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(06-27-2019, 02:39 AM)videogamesrock Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 02:37 AM)Stoic Wrote:

Thanks.

That’s a bummer regarding tuition.
I agree. The Pell is at about $6,190 (I think) now per year and a lot of these colleges are setting up their tuition to pace it.  As it stands if you take 24 credits in one year from WVRocks you'll come out at about $6,000 or a bit more. I forgot the exact calculations, but it's cutting it super close.
As a father of four, everything seems expensive, even Liberty's decreased rate for veterans ($250 per credit). A few others offer the same, such as Purdue Global.

But, the Pell grant can be used? And it's $6000+? Wouldn't that make any program free that is within that price range?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
An Associates itself especially it's earned with alternative credit, doesn't do much for transfering unless it's part of an articulation agreement.

I have an Associates and for me if I go to schools in my home state whether it be in person or online, depending on the school all or almost all of my gen eds are done. This is because I satisfied a statewide transfer agreement. But once I started looking at out of state schools, my associates does nothing. One school I applied to I only had half the gen eds done, even though I had associates it didn't matter. The other thing an Associates is good for is 2+2 or 3+1 agreements. Now some of those can out of state as well.

I don't think somehow getting an associates at the big is  worth the cost. My local CC'S are under $100 a credit hour and only require 15 credits taken with them. They accept CLEP and DSST generously. So one could easily get an Associates from them way cheaper than the big 3. If you really want an Associates look at your local CC, if you live in California it's real cheap.

Generally speaking, an Associates degree isn't necessary if you set on getting a Bachelor's and doesn't help with transfering unless it's in state or an articulation agreement. An Associates made up of mostly alternative credits, although a real degree won't provided much in way of transfers at most Universities.

Most schools require 30-60 credits be taken from their school. The elite schools require 60. And usually everyone else requires 30, that's what makes the big 3 different they require 3-6. Look around it probably wouldn't be took hard to find a school that you could transfer in 90 credits via CC, clep, dsst, portfolio (maybe ace and/or nccrs if you are lucky) and then do 30 credits at the school.

SNHU probably has something. They are pretty good with alternative credit.

CSU global probably does as well. They are partners with many of the alternative credit sites and they have their own self study courses as well.

I think Baker College in Michigan does and they are online too. Someone on this fourm did Baker and they accept straighterline and ALEKS.

If you need ideas look at the partner sites for straighterline, study.com, etc.

If a school is there that usually means they have good transfer policies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • SCYankee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,503 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,930 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 848 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 689 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 277 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 694 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 481 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy