Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P90X, Insanity, or a hybrid schedule of both workout programs?
I knew a girl who switched to doing her cardio in the morning from at night and lost 20 lbs or so in three months. She struggled with weight for years and this simple change was all that she needed. She learned it from her boyfriend who was a personal trainer and a real A hole. He did know how to lose bodyfat though.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
So I decided to try out the P90X workouts. I'm in the 2nd week and the soreness is going away. The leg workout is a killer with no weights. Or maybe I'm out of shape. :leaving:

I'm not following that crazy health diet, but I did stop drinking cokes. I eat regular portions of the same meals as usual, and I now only drink water and add maybe the single packets of flavored powder drinks that go into the 20oz bottles of water.

I've lost 2 inches on my gut, and dropped 10Lbs from 201 to 191, and I can see a 2 pack :roflol:
My goal is 175, but I think I will plateau here pretty soon, but the program says I shouldn't.
We'll see,
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I'm looking into starting the P90X August 1st with my brothers. My goal is to stick with it for the 90 days and then make another goal from there. Its not that I'm fat or even chubby (I'm 6'2" and only 160lbs), but I really want to look fit and toned. I need to finally fill this body out. :roflol: You'll think the P90X will work for that? I've been looking on craigslist for a authentic version, but haven't gotten anything yet. Does anyone have one that they're willing to get rid of?
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
I got P90X a few weeks ago... just sucked it up and paid for it Sad It is pretty expensive for workout videos, however I have to say that I really like them so far. My husband likes them too and has been doing them with me. I do think that they're worth the money because I can really see us using the series for years.

I have hated almost every workout video that I've tried. I'll be honest, I haven't tried that many, but the ones I have tried have been complicated. What I mean by that is really silly aerobic moves and fancy footwork. I am not afraid to dance and do not have two left feet, but I have done some workouts where I spend more time trying to figure out how to move than actually moving.

P90X is NOT like this. It's simple and easy to follow, but effective. I also like that it shows different variations of the same exercise so that you can start off easy and make it tougher as you get better. For the most part, the videos don't leave me panting and feeling like I can't breathe, which I like. I've always focused more on cardio than on muscles, but I actually think this is doing more for my body shape than all of my hours on the treadmill and the elliptical.

...now if I would just give up wine, my quest for fitness and to be in beach body shape would be complete Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Burbuja - I'm glad you are working on building muscle. So many women ascribe to the heuristic that cardio = hot body. It does not. Cardio and low calorie diets alone will just make you into a smaller version of yourself. If you want to have a hot beach body, you need to lower your bodyfat while building more muscle.
P90X should do this for you.
Also make sure that you cut down on carbs and increase protein intake.
A good rule of thumb is 1g protein for every pound of bodyweight.
This means I need 195g a day! That is a whole heck of a lot and I don't get that much but it is the goal.
ryoder Wrote:Burbuja - I'm glad you are working on building muscle. So many women ascribe to the heuristic that cardio = hot body. It does not. Cardio and low calorie diets alone will just make you into a smaller version of yourself. If you want to have a hot beach body, you need to lower your bodyfat while building more muscle.
P90X should do this for you.
Also make sure that you cut down on carbs and increase protein intake.
A good rule of thumb is 1g protein for every pound of bodyweight.
This means I need 195g a day! That is a whole heck of a lot and I don't get that much but it is the goal.

Yes - you are totally correct. I always thought that it was a waste of time to do any sort of muscle work and now with the P90X, I realize I had it all wrong. I notice more results from just one week of P90x than years of doing the same old tired cardio routines.

I'm actually really good at watching carbs. I'm a firm believer in paleo eating, which I know is a little extreme for some people, but it really works for me. I feel better, don't have to count calories, and I eat much less than when I used to eat grains. LOL like I said, my only problem is drinking (which I know is not paleo!), but I guess I do need to enjoy my life a little bit!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
ryoder Wrote:You will not be able to gain more than 4-5 pounds of muscle per year without steroids and growth hormone.

Did you mean per month? It is not hard to gain more than 5 pounds of muscle in a year...

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

Dude. If I could gain 4 lbs of muscle per month, since I have been lifting since I was 14 years old and I am 35, I would have gained 50lbs per year for 20 years. That would put me at 1200lbs!
It is almost impossible to gain 4-5 lbs in a year. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't tried.
At your best, with the most advanced steroids and protein supplements and lots of sleep etc, you can maybe gain 7 lbs a year. Think about that. You could go from 190 to 260 in only 9 years! That is insane growth. I work out alot and I have actually lost muscle since 12 years ago.

So yeah losing fat is a piece of cake. Just stop eating and it happens naturally. Gaining muscle is one of the hardest things to do.
blu2blu Wrote:
ryoder Wrote:You will not be able to gain more than 4-5 pounds of muscle per year without steroids and growth hormone.

Did you mean per month? It is not hard to gain more than 5 pounds of muscle in a year...Did you mean per month? It is not hard to gain more than 5 pounds of muscle in a year...

This is actually a good point. If you are a young skinny type and do a progressive program of heavy back squats squats + deadlifts (and assistance exercises like pullups), and eat plenty of clean calories and do GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), sure you will gain some body fat but you will pile on slabs of muscle, waaay more than 5 pounds, all of it 100% natural.

The protein in the milk combined with the fat for some unknown reason causes steroid-like effects in the body. So you push even heavier weights, and get even stronger, and when you stop doing GOMAD you keep working out hard and the fat melts right off.

Seriously. GOMAD: How to Gain 25lbs in 25 Days with Squats & Milk | StrongLifts.com
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I have wanted to purchase P90x for about 18 months, but just can't justify the cost. If anyone knows where it can be bought for a good deal, please pass it along to me!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Demand for Grad programs... bjcheung77 0 611 02-17-2021, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Harvard Extension Hybrid Courses rebel100 1 955 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Last Post: NumberSix
  What did/does your daily schedule look like? mrs.b 7 978 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  The 10 Cheapest Online MBA Programs koenigtv 2 1,484 09-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Johann
  College honors programs? OpenRoot 3 1,297 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  P90x vs Tapout xt VS rushfit ffdpsoldier 13 3,464 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Columbia Southern University - Masters Programs mrs.b 4 1,029 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Dependable Free Anti-Virus Programs CLEP101 23 3,608 05-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Last Post: nleamons
  MBA (Finance, Business Mgt or Project Mgt) - Most Affordable Online Programs ahmobalic 3 1,598 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Basket Weaver