Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PLA through Learningcounts.org to TESC
I know it's expensive, but has anybody recently done the PLA through learningcounts.org and applied it to either of the Big 3? I'm considering challenging several credits through the PLA program and was just curious about it's recent applicability. Thanks!
I am wondering the same thing .How many portfolios do students submit to TESC ?
That is a great question.... I'm wondering the same thing.

I messaged LearningCounts but never heard back.

Any student/alum at TESC know?
I haven't done any PLAs through Learningcounts but I have completed 2 PLAs at TESC and am working on a third now. It's really not that bad. Just pick a PLA through TESC's PLA database found here Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings. Don't pick a topic you know nothing about, the point here is to get college credit for what you already know. For example, I've been in the process of writing a fiction novel for a few years, so I picked the Advanced Fiction Writing and Science Fiction PLAs. Wrote my papers (28 pages for the Adv. Fiction Writing and 15 pages in the Science Fiction) in each and attached samples of my writing as proof. I passed both PLAs. If you have any questions on what you can take, read over the PLA section on TESC's website Thomas Edison State College: PLA Self-Assessment Guide or call the TESC PLA staff. I found them to be very helpful in trying to determine if a PLA was right for me or not. Their phone number is at the bottom of the self assessment guide webpage.

Good luck!

Amy
Thomas Edison State College
AAS - Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies (done! Graduating in December 2012!)
BA - English (done! Graduating in June 2013!)

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra - 70, College Algebra - 80
CLEP:
College Comp - 55, A&I Lit - 74, English Lit - 57, American Lit - 62, Humanities - 58, Social Sciences & History - 66,
Info Sys & Comp Applications - 70, Intro. Psych - 60, Human Growth & Development - 55, Biology - 56
DSST:
Race to Save the Planet - 66, Intro. to World Religions - 462, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union - 56
FEMA:
21 credits - done!
Hallelujah I'm done all the tests I had to take! Thank you IC! Smile :hurray:
Actually, it doesn't sound expensive at all. To start, if you choose the self-paced option, you can earn up to 12 credits for $379. After that, you can submit additional portfolios worth up to 12 credits for $250. The way they make it sound, if a faculty member approves your PLA, you automatically get the credit transcribed by ACE. So, even though LearningCounts doesn't have a list of courses that are pre-approved by ACE, all of your approved portfolios will come with ACE recommendations. LearningCounts.org was created by ACE, The College Board, and CAEL. If these portfolios automatically come with ACE recommendations, this would be a much cheaper way of doing PLAs at TESC. TESC charges over $200 per credit for its own PLA courses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...FumafPnDiU

I'm going to send them an email or give them a call for clarification.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
af2012 Wrote:I haven't done any PLAs through Learningcounts but I have completed 2 PLAs at TESC and am working on a third now. It's really not that bad. Just pick a PLA through TESC's PLA database found here Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings. Don't pick a topic you know nothing about, the point here is to get college credit for what you already know. For example, I've been in the process of writing a fiction novel for a few years, so I picked the Advanced Fiction Writing and Science Fiction PLAs. Wrote my papers (28 pages for the Adv. Fiction Writing and 15 pages in the Science Fiction) in each and attached samples of my writing as proof. I passed both PLAs. If you have any questions on what you can take, read over the PLA section on TESC's website Thomas Edison State College: PLA Self-Assessment Guide or call the TESC PLA staff. I found them to be very helpful in trying to determine if a PLA was right for me or not. Their phone number is at the bottom of the self assessment guide webpage.

Good luck!

Amy

See that's the point .A lot of credits for less money . But if you do multiple portfolios , you have to choose a different topic right ? Do the big 3 accept those accredited credits from learningcounts ?
LearningCounts.org said that their credit recommendations automatically go on an ACE transcript. This is awesome! This is a lot cheaper than going through TESC's PLA process. Since the credit recommendations are on an ACE transcript, it's almost a guarantee that the Big 3 will accept them if the credit recommendations line up with courses they give credit for. If you can max out on 12 credits for each PLA, then this would be cheaper than taking CBEs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
kellen1 Wrote:See that's the point .A lot of credits for less money . But if you do multiple portfolios , you have to choose a different topic right ? Do the big 3 accept those accredited credits from learningcounts ?

Nope! LearningCounts does not make restrictions on that. You can submit as many portfolios as you like in one area of study.

Excelsior and TESC are listed as Partner Universities. In fact, Excelsior's PLA evaluation is done through LearningCounts.

Prior Learning Assessment - excelsior.edu
I did it about 18 months ago with learning counts. I worked well for me. I did get a scholarship based on need from them so it didn't cost me anything. I went through their program and wrote portfolios for 3 classes so ended up with 9 credits. I'll be glad to answer any questions. canteyhunter@gmail.com
What are the expectations for the portfolios? I can't find an example anywhere. I can't even find online reviews outside of the video ones posted on Learning Counts' YouTube channel.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,956 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,293 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,700 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,150 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,777 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77