Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PLA through Learningcounts.org to TESC
I've added this to Degree Forum Wiki.

Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I wrote them last night and this is the response I saw this morning. Not sure if this is well known or not but I figured for the other newbies like me, they might like the info.

Hi Kris. I've tried to answer your questions below:

First can a portfolio be used for upper level credit?
- LearningCounts Portfolios can be for level 100/1000-400/4000 courses, undergraduate only.

Second what determines how many credits are earned?
- Your college and degree plan determine how many credits can be earned through portfolio assessment. While LearningCounts has no limit to the number of portfolios you can build (each portfolio in a single subject area, up to 12 credits, usually 4 courses each), your college has a policy as to how many transfer credits and prior learning assessment (PLA) credits they will accept. You should speak to your college adviser about their policy.

Any other questions, please let us know!

My understanding of the response is that each portfolio can cover up to 4 sub areas under a given subject which gets the portfolio to 12 credits while each sub area is worth 3. Would it then follow that to make an entire portfolio one would have to write 4 papers to reach the 12 credit award? I'm all for paying $300 for 12 credits, not just for 3 per portfolio.

Obviously this helps tremendously for me getting upper level credit - I was going to try going through SL but something about them is bugging me - can't explain it, just a funny feeling. Besides, I'm extremely confident in my writing abilities and not worried about that much writing. My next questions for learningcounts.org will regard need based assistance. I'm also going to attempt to contact someone about how these transfer in at TESC which is where I plan to go for my degree.
Does Thomas Edison still accept PLA's from Learning Counts? I don't see them listed on the LC website??
They're still on there under New Jersey.
LearningCounts | Affiliated Universities

TESC will take any NCCRS or ACE approved credit as long as the course meets their requirements.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Did you get this from someone at Learning Counts? Thier website: LearningCounts | Affiliated Universities says they use National College Credit Recommendation Service, NCCRS.
First, once again I will post what the TESC PLA manager, Todd Siben, has told me about any affiliation with Learning Counts: "To indicate that we are a partner with Learning Counts is a misnomer. These guys learned the route from us."

Second, TESC is under no a priori obligation to cross any Learning Counts PLA, no matter what credit recommendation outfit it comes from, to any specific TESC transfer equivilency course for their degree requirments even if titles and/or descriptions appear to be logically matched.

Third, by corallary, to take any Learning Counts PLA without prior plan approval from TESC is a risky proposition.

Fourth, this is the thrid time I have sent a specific inquiry to Learning Counts for them to clarify their relationship with TESC. To date I have never received a reply from them. Sure sounds fishy to me.

Fifth, late breaking news, CanteyHumter has just replied to my email, she did do 5 courses of PLA 18 months ago with Learning Counts and got them accepted at TESC for free electives on her pre-enrollment evaluation. However, the subjects were related to her being a "Cerified Medical Assistant" So, its not at all clear to me whether TESC gave her these credits for the actual PLAs or because they do grant credits for this "license" in any case.

Gang - The case is still open as to whether TESC will accept PLA from Learning Counts and under what circumstances
I am interested in learning counts. I have experience that would fit a lot of these courses, but my dilemma is that I only have general education elective courses left. I am having a very hard time deciding which ones might fall under general education electives for my BA LS at TESC. I emailed learning counts and no reply......TESC isn’t really going to help me figure that out. Any thoughts?
For Lower Level (LL) Gen-Ed requirments that can be obtained by CBEs, PLA is not the way to go. It's a difficult writing path that takes at least 15-25 pages for a single course and even 40 pages or more for multiple credits (12ish) within similar subject areas. I know this for a fact because a firend who is using Learning Counts for Applied Music III, IV, V, VI has just reported to me this criterea from her Learning Counts advisor. She is a real trail-blazer here as she is betting on the come that if she gets Learning Counts to pass her narrative that she will be able to squeeze TESC into accepting them on her initail evaluation for a BA in Music. I think her endeavor will take her about 4-8 more weeks, and then we'll all find out more about the Learning Counts-TESC relationship. In another thread AZDan is pursuing prying out of TESC where he can use PLA for his degree while using Learning Counts. I think we will all have more facts shortly. In the meantime, don't waste your time with PLA from Learning Counts if you are at TESC and have other options for earning your required credits.
JohnnyHeck Wrote:Did you get this from someone at Learning Counts? Thier website: LearningCounts | Affiliated Universities says they use National College Credit Recommendation Service, NCCRS.

I don't quite understand the question. I didn't say that LearningCounts uses ACE. I know that they stopped using ACE and switched over to NCCRS. In general, TESC accepts ACE and NCCRS credits as long as the course description matches something that they will give credit for. For example, TESC will not give credit for an ACE-approved beginning algebra course because TESC considers it to be developmental.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have a TESC phone advising appointment next week and plan on asking about learningcounts.org PLAs (after reading this thread), so if I get any useful information, I will report back.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,956 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,293 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,700 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,150 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,777 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77