Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten MBA in 4 months???
OK, i'm pissed and looking for suggestions.

Just got off the phone with a Patten adviser. She told me no one can do an MBA in 4 months. The fastest guy ever did it in 2 terms (8 months). And they were so proud of him bc he'd just had a baby and blah blah blah.

First of all, he didn't have a baby. His WIFE had a baby. And trust me, there's a big difference to actually carry a baby for nine months and recover from a childbirth vs a man that can live his life as usual until a baby is actually born.

Secondly, if there's anything I hate it's people telling me I can't when they know nothing about me at all.

Which brings me to this:

For those of you currently at Patten, or recent MBA grads, do you think it impedes your pace to only take one course at a time? She said the turn around time is one week for grades and you can't take the next course until your grade comes in. I have 12 classes to do, I figure I will easily lose 10-12 weeks waiting for grades and unable to move on. Is there any other self paced MBA programs that move quicker?

How to they compare, price wise? The $349/month summer deal is a actually a 12 month subscription. So it's great if you take that long. Otherwise, you're better off to pay $1999 for four months.

Also, how involved were the "projects"? Like, a 5 page paper or a dissertation? I'm not looking for an easy way out, just want to gauge how involved this part is and she didn't have much info.

Thanks guys!
Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
DSST: Supervision
STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
PENN FOSTER: Finance
WGU will not have an issue with you attempting to complete their MBA in one semester (and that is a full 6 months).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes rebel100's post:
  • Jdesign
iwant2stalku Wrote:OK, i'm pissed and looking for suggestions.

Just got off the phone with a Patten adviser. She told me no one can do an MBA in 4 months. The fastest guy ever did it in 2 terms (8 months). And they were so proud of him bc he'd just had a baby and blah blah blah.

First of all, he didn't have a baby. His WIFE had a baby. And trust me, there's a big difference to actually carry a baby for nine months and recover from a childbirth vs a man that can live his life as usual until a baby is actually born.

Secondly, if there's anything I hate it's people telling me I can't when they know nothing about me at all.

Which brings me to this:

For those of you currently at Patten, or recent MBA grads, do you think it impedes your pace to only take one course at a time? She said the turn around time is one week for grades and you can't take the next course until your grade comes in. I have 12 classes to do, I figure I will easily lose 10-12 weeks waiting for grades and unable to move on. Is there any other self paced MBA programs that move quicker?

How to they compare, price wise? The $349/month summer deal is a actually a 12 month subscription. So it's great if you take that long. Otherwise, you're better off to pay $1999 for four months.

Also, how involved were the "projects"? Like, a 5 page paper or a dissertation? I'm not looking for an easy way out, just want to gauge how involved this part is and she didn't have much info.

Thanks guys!

Read this blog

Four Month MBA | Getting my degree in 123 days

With Patten there is a Project and test the fastest strategy looks to be doing the paper first and taking 4-5 to study for and get the test done. That way you aren't really wasting any time and can move quickly. Don't listen to people who say you can't do something. Is it possible to get it done in 4 months ? Most likely, but it will take a lot of dedication.
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
iwant2stalku Wrote:OK, i'm pissed and looking for suggestions.

Which brings me to this:

Thanks guys!

I'm not a grad student but I attend Patten's online degree programs. So I can speak a little about how taking one class at a time works. I have turned in papers in the wee hours of the night and had them back by the time I checked my email on my way to work in the morning. I have never waited longer than a few days to have a project returned to me. In the event that grading takes longer, you can still work on the next course; you just can't access your project or final. So it's not like you're twiddling your thumbs waiting for a grade. In some instances, I did all the reading beforehand and was able to finish a class in a couple of days. I am referring to undergrad but the graduate course structure works the same way so I don't think you will lose many days waiting for grades.

I think there are some others on the forum who are enrolled in the MBA program so maybe they can you more input on the projects. I hope Patten continues to add degree programs.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Goblue34 Wrote:Read this blog

Four Month MBA | Getting my degree in 123 days

With Patten there is a Project and test the fastest strategy looks to be doing the paper first and taking 4-5 to study for and get the test done. That way you aren't really wasting any time and can move quickly. Don't listen to people who say you can't do something. Is it possible to get it done in 4 months ? Most likely, but it will take a lot of dedication.

Good info here. Does anyone know if he finished? Looks like it hasn't been updated since December.
Patten MBA Finance

10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
rebel100 Wrote:WGU will not have an issue with you attempting to complete their MBA in one semester (and that is a full 6 months).

I saw your thread on WGU. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...eview.html

How long did it take you to get though it and how many hours a week did you put in? Saw they changed the format though..
Patten MBA Finance

10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
iwant2stalku Wrote:I saw your thread on WGU. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...eview.html

How long did it take you to get though it and how many hours a week did you put in? Saw they changed the format though..
It is different, they now have exit exams. People are still managing, in some cases, to get out in one semester. I probably spent 5-10 hours a week when I was working on it. I deliberately took some time off in order to maximize my employer reimbursement. Took me 14 calendar months, but honestly I could have been done in a pretty leisurely 9-10 if I had applied myself....6 months or less really is doable.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:WGU will not have an issue with you attempting to complete their MBA in one semester (and that is a full 6 months).

I don't think Patten will have an issue with it either. The only question I would ask the school is if there is a minimum amount of time required to earn a degree. I haven't seen anything stating that but you can ask that specific question and I'm sure you will get a fast, accurate response. The 'no' response you got was probably based on the counselor's limited experience. Remember, everything is new. So they haven't seen a lot of graduates yet, let alone a 4-month MBA. I think the first undergrad degree (post-University Now) was just awarded some time last year. As people enroll and complete the program, I'm sure there will be more tips on completing a degree there in a shorter period of time. I certainly plan to share my experiences whenever possible.

I do hope they add some non-business graduate programs.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Patten told me I could do it as quickly as I wanted. However, I don't think they want to state that it can be done in 4 months, as most people can't do that... and it would be setting them up for over-promising and under-delivering.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

ladylearner Wrote:I don't think Patten will have an issue with it either. The only question I would ask the school is if there is a minimum amount of time required to earn a degree. I haven't seen anything stating that but you can ask that specific question and I'm sure you will get a fast, accurate response. The 'no' response you got was probably based on the counselor's limited experience. Remember, everything is new. So they haven't seen a lot of graduates yet, let alone a 4-month MBA. I think the first undergrad degree (post-University Now) was just awarded some time last year. As people enroll and complete the program, I'm sure there will be more tips on completing a degree there in a shorter period of time. I certainly plan to share my experiences whenever possible.

I do hope they add some non-business graduate programs.

I doesn't sound like Patten has a problem with it. They just haven't seen anyone finish in 4 months. Finishing in 6 months is tough; finishing in 4 months is even tougher.

GoodYellowDogs Wrote:Patten told me I could do it as quickly as I wanted. However, I don't think they want to state that it can be done in 4 months, as most people can't do that... and it would be setting them up for over-promising and under-delivering.

True. They could lie to avoid turning students away, but that would only lead to complaints later on. They don't get any money out of telling students they can't finish in 4 months when they really can. If they intentionally slowed down the process, then that would be a different story.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,212 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Upgrad/SSBM Geneva - Global DBA - 36 months, $11K USD bjcheung77 10 3,100 04-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Finishing my Bachelors- I have 16 months of my GI Bill Left for a Masters Kerrihoran 2 999 12-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Kerrihoran
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,926 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,669 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months amilitab4k9 15 4,054 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,877 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,941 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Master in Computer Information Technology at NAU (Competency based, 3k per 6 months) posabsolute 7 3,588 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: mednat
  Patten MBA Review study0019 12 4,071 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Last Post: jsd