Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten MBA in 4 months???
I think taking a week to grade a paper does slow you down since you can't work another class or start the next paper while you wait. I read the other guy's blog.

I need to have a high GPA, at least 3.5 so the extra studying may stretch me outside of 4 months, especially if the courses are writing intensive and it takes a long time to get grades back. I've been thinking strategically about it since I posted this and the gears are turning in my head again. I've run through it every which way and I think I can do it. I can't find anyone else that has a self-paced online mba that is accredited and lets you repeat coursework and gives you a GPA (please let me know if there are others out there). Especially not for $2k a semester.

Worst case, I pay another $2k to do it in 8 months and I'm one step closer to a mid life crisis lol
Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
DSST: Supervision
STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
PENN FOSTER: Finance
iwant2stalku Wrote:I think taking a week to grade a paper does slow you down since you can't work another class or start the next paper while you wait. I read the other guy's blog.

I need to have a high GPA, at least 3.5 so the extra studying may stretch me outside of 4 months, especially if the courses are writing intensive and it takes a long time to get grades back. I've been thinking strategically about it since I posted this and the gears are turning in my head again. I've run through it every which way and I think I can do it. I can't find anyone else that has a self-paced online mba that is accredited and lets you repeat coursework and gives you a GPA (please let me know if there are others out there). Especially not for $2k a semester.

Worst case, I pay another $2k to do it in 8 months and I'm one step closer to a mid life crisis lol

There is only one required writing assignment per class so I don't think that's writing-intensive.

Also, I don't recall seeing anything in the blog about evaluation times slowing the student down. You have access to your course materials for previous and future courses. So while you can't do the project, you can read and review the materials in preparation for the final exam in the next class. Even if the graders take the full week to grade your project it is still possible to complete 12 credits in a month or a little over a month (provided you can work at that pace).
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
iwant2stalku Wrote:I think taking a week to grade a paper does slow you down since you can't work another class or start the next paper while you wait. I read the other guy's blog.

When do you plan on starting ?

Hopefully you can start a thread on your experience
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
Goblue34 Wrote:When do you plan on starting ?

Hopefully you can start a thread on your experience

I agree! The main thing pushing me to WGU instead of Patten is my fear that they will slow my pace with grading and limiting number of classes taken at once.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I agree! The main thing pushing me to WGU instead of Patten is my fear that they will slow my pace with grading and limiting number of classes taken at once.

I honestly don't think it will be a problem. I think the 7 day thing is being overblown. Yes, they technically have 7 days, but all the research I have done shows no one ever waits that long. Keep in my at WGU stuff doesn't get graded right away.
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
Goblue34 Wrote:I honestly don't think it will be a problem. I think the 7 day thing is being overblown. Yes, they technically have 7 days, but all the research I have done shows no one ever waits that long. Keep in my at WGU stuff doesn't get graded right away.

I agree. I have never waited 7 days for a project to be graded.

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
mednat Wrote:I agree! The main thing pushing me to WGU instead of Patten is my fear that they will slow my pace with grading and limiting number of classes taken at once.

I don't think taking one class at a time slows your pace. It allows you to focus on one thing at a time, even if you only take a day to complete a class. You have access to the reading materials for all your classes as soon as you enroll in a degree program. There is no down time or waiting time.

I don't usually have this kind of time because I work and have a family. But I had couple of days off and in the span of a week I finished two classes and started on a third.

I enrolled last month June 15 (for GPA purpose) and have completed three classes with A. It has never taken them more than 2 days to have my written assignments graded and returned. My final project in Academic Strategies (PSS100) was graded in less than 8 hours. Written assignments in Ancient History (HIS227) and Communication (COM146) were graded in about than two days. I am currently taking my fourth class which I plan to finish by Monday and move on to the next class.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Saharapost Wrote:I enrolled last month June 15 (for GPA purpose) and have completed three classes with A. It has never taken them more than 2 days to have my written assignments graded and returned. My final project in Academic Strategies (PSS100) was graded in less than 8 hours. Written assignments in Ancient History (HIS227) and Communication (COM146) were graded in about than two days. I am currently taking my fourth class which I plan to finish by Monday and move on to the next class.

Are you enrolled as an undergraduate student or graduate?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:Are you enrolled as an undergraduate student or graduate?

I am enrolled as an undergraduate so as to be able to graduate with a GPA. Upon evaluation of my TESC degree (here in Slovakia), they weren't able to grant me bachelor's degree recognition since they didn't see GPA and letter grades on my transcript. Their recommendation was that I sit exams (set by the university here) and submit a final thesis to same or any of the universities in Slovakia that offers the same course (Business Administration) and the university will offer me a document that states that I have met the requirement for a BSBA in Slovakia. Since I don't speak Slovak, I am unable to sit exams and write thesis as recommended. So, I enrolled at the undergraduate level, requesting Patten to allow me take about 60 credits worth of undergraduate classes. My patten evaluation gave me 90 credits, but I requested to have some courses taken off my evaluation so I can have as many graded courses as possible. My re-evaluation left me with 57 credits to go. I have just completed 9 credits and already working on the fourth course. I see myself completing the 57 to 60 credits in less than 8 months. This will not only help me meet the requirement here, but also help at the graduate level towards a competitive masters level program.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,259 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Upgrad/SSBM Geneva - Global DBA - 36 months, $11K USD bjcheung77 10 3,111 04-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Finishing my Bachelors- I have 16 months of my GI Bill Left for a Masters Kerrihoran 2 1,004 12-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Kerrihoran
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,928 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,676 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months amilitab4k9 15 4,068 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,891 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,948 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Master in Computer Information Technology at NAU (Competency based, 3k per 6 months) posabsolute 7 3,596 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: mednat
  Patten MBA Review study0019 12 4,078 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Last Post: jsd