Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS Questions
My cousin wants to go to mortuary school, but in our state it's recommended to get 60 credits then attend. It seems like the AAS at Pierpont might be the easiest/fastest/cheapest option, but she only has 6 college credits from a community college. She signed up for two courses at a community college in the summer which would get her to the 12 RA credits. My main question is: does anyone have a degree plan for this degree fleshed out?
We were looking primarily at straighterline since she can work on multiple courses at once and there's no/minimal waiting period before moving on to the next class (unlike sophia). Most schools have a very limited window that she can apply and we're hoping she can finish in time for application in January. 

Everyone here helped me immensely going from nothing to a bachelor's so I'm not unfamiliar with the process, but I'm having trouble figuring out pierpont.
(04-12-2021, 06:40 PM)lmckown Wrote: My cousin wants to go to mortuary school, but in our state it's recommended to get 60 credits then attend. It seems like the AAS at Pierpont might be the easiest/fastest/cheapest option, but she only has 6 college credits from a community college. She signed up for two courses at a community college in the summer which would get her to the 12 RA credits. My main question is: does anyone have a degree plan for this degree fleshed out?
We were looking primarily at straighterline since she can work on multiple courses at once and there's no/minimal waiting period before moving on to the next class (unlike sophia). Most schools have a very limited window that she can apply and we're hoping she can finish in time for application in January. 

Everyone here helped me immensely going from nothing to a bachelor's so I'm not unfamiliar with the process, but I'm having trouble figuring out pierpont.

There is absolutely no waiting period with Sophia unless you are doing courses that have Touchstones. And you only need one Sophia course with Touchstones to get the Pierpont degree. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC Visual Communication has no touchstones; any other Communication course + Visual Communication would fill that requirement. 

If you were to do English Comp I or Public Speaking first, you can complete the remaining courses needed for Pierpont while waiting for the assignment(s) to be returned.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-12-2021, 06:40 PM)lmckown Wrote: My cousin wants to go to mortuary school, but in our state it's recommended to get 60 credits then attend. It seems like the AAS at Pierpont might be the easiest/fastest/cheapest option, but she only has 6 college credits from a community college. She signed up for two courses at a community college in the summer which would get her to the 12 RA credits. My main question is: does anyone have a degree plan for this degree fleshed out?

Believe it or not, I've actually degree planned for someone for this!! Not even kidding.

So my question is, which mortuary school is she planning on going to? And what state? Because in many states, it's not just going to school, there are additional requirements including a national exam.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-12-2021, 08:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Believe it or not, I've actually degree planned for someone for this!! Not even kidding.

So my question is, which mortuary school is she planning on going to? And what state?  Because in many states, it's not just going to school, there are additional requirements including a national exam.

Wow! That's awesome! It's such a niche program. She's debating between three, but she is located in NJ.

AAMI in NYC - top pick since it's close for the few days of in person classes but offered predominantly online.
Arapahoe community college - predominantly online as well, but far for practicals.
Mercer Community College - last resort because it's not online. 

AAMI gives advanced standing status to people who hold an associate's degree - which is why we were looking at this degree. If I'm understanding the requirements in NJ they require 2 years of college and then mortuary school.

(04-12-2021, 07:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

There is absolutely no waiting period with Sophia unless you are doing courses that have Touchstones. And you only need one Sophia course with Touchstones to get the Pierpont degree. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC Visual Communication has no touchstones; any other Communication course + Visual Communication would fill that requirement. 

If you were to do English Comp I or Public Speaking first, you can complete the remaining courses needed for Pierpont while waiting for the assignment(s) to be returned.

Oh wow! I thought a lot more classes had touchstones! Then I definitely recommend sophia as opposed to straighterline!
(04-12-2021, 08:44 PM)lmckown Wrote: Oh wow! I thought a lot more classes had touchstones! Then I definitely recommend sophia as opposed to straighterline!

Yeah, most of them don't have Touchstones. You can see which ones have Touchstones and how many they have here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Communication at Work, with its one Touchstone, might work for the Communication requirement at Pierpont (this has not been tested yet, as far as I am aware). But English Comp I or Public Speaking aren't too bad. If the friend already has any English Comp or Communication credits, they can skip right over the Sophia classes with Touchstones and just finish a bunch of Sophia classes without Touchstones.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(04-12-2021, 08:44 PM)lmckown Wrote:

So my question is, which mortuary school is she planning on going to? And what state?  Because in many states, it's not just going to school, there are additional requirements including a national exam.

Wow! That's awesome! It's such a niche program. She's debating between three, but she is located in NJ.

AAMI in NYC - top pick since it's close for the few days of in person classes but offered predominantly online.
Arapahoe community college - predominantly online as well, but far for practicals.

AAMI gives advanced standing status to people who hold an associate's degree - which is why we were looking at this degree. If I'm understanding the requirements in NJ they require 2 years of college and then mortuary school.

So for my student, we looked at online options, I only wanted RA schools (rules out AAMI) and looked for the lowest possible prices.  Turned out to be DMACC (Des Moines Area CC) at $200/cr.  I planned it out, with him taking all of his GE courses locally (cheaply) first, including the courses he already had.  Doing it this way saves him thousands (20cr for roughly $75/cr for GE's and then 43cr at DMACC at $200/cr).  He'll have to go to IA twice during the program for clinicals, but he'll actually be able to afford it because the per credit price is low.

The other nice thing is that they have a variety of options: FT w/GE completed = 4 semesters, FT w/no GE = 6 semesters, Accelerated w/GE completed = 3 semesters, PT if GE is completed = 6 semesters.  He'll do the last since he's going to be working FT while going through the program.

The only thing I don't know is how it works if your state is not affiliated with the school (for instance, CA doesn't require that a school be affiliated, so it doesn't matter) - no idea on how it works with NJ.

Anyway, hope that gives you a good start on research.  I also looked at NETXCC (TX) and Jefferson State CC (AL).  And I went off of a list from the national exam to find schools and then ruled out NA (they were all WAY too expensive), then just started looking at each school's prices (I checked in-state first).  The list tells you who has online programs as well.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-12-2021, 10:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

So for my student, we looked at online options, I only wanted RA schools (rules out AAMI) and looked for the lowest possible prices.  Turned out to be DMACC (Des Moines Area CC) at $200/cr.  I planned it out, with him taking all of his GE courses locally (cheaply) first, including the courses he already had.  Doing it this way saves him thousands (20cr for roughly $75/cr for GE's and then 43cr at DMACC at $200/cr).  He'll have to go to IA twice during the program for clinicals, but he'll actually be able to afford it because the per credit price is low.

The other nice thing is that they have a variety of options: FT w/GE completed = 4 semesters, FT w/no GE = 6 semesters, Accelerated w/GE completed = 3 semesters, PT if GE is completed = 6 semesters.  He'll do the last since he's going to be working FT while going through the program.

The only thing I don't know is how it works if your state is not affiliated with the school (for instance, CA doesn't require that a school be affiliated, so it doesn't matter) - no idea on how it works with NJ.

Anyway, hope that gives you a good start on research.  I also looked at NETXCC (TX) and Jefferson State CC (AL).  And I went off of a list from the national exam to find schools and then ruled out NA (they were all WAY too expensive), then just started looking at each school's prices (I checked in-state first).  The list tells you who has online programs as well.

That's actually another school we were looking at since it was listed on the NJ site for accredited schools - just was a bit far for clinicals - but you're definitely right about the price. Do you by chance have the plan you used still? She's starting pretty much from scratch and currently only has 6 credits. 3 in american sign language and 3 in an intro to psych course.

She has a friend in CO she could stay with which initially made it more attractive, but might make more sense to go IA since the cost per credit is lower.
(04-14-2021, 01:47 PM)lmckown Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 10:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

That's actually another school we were looking at since it was listed on the NJ site for accredited schools - just was a bit far for clinicals - but you're definitely right about the price. Do you by chance have the plan you used still? She's starting pretty much from scratch and currently only has 6 credits. 3 in american sign language and 3 in an intro to psych course.

She has a friend in CO she could stay with which initially made it more attractive, but might make more sense to go IA since the cost per credit is lower.

I think for us it turned out to be cheaper to go spend 2 separate weeks in Des Moines than to do a more expensive program.

Tentative Schedule
Each Funeral Home based student will be expected to attend the following times in person:
  • MOR 334 - Funeral Home Operations II - generally in March or April - 4 or 5 days
    During these days, students will complete mock funeral arrangements; mock funerals and visitations; and simulate religious funerals and visitations.
  • MOR 940 - Funeral Service Capstone - generally 4 or 5 days
    During these days, students will complete the embalming and restorative art requirements for the program.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what you need to bring in for GE to make life a little easier (it will free up time during the semester, plus lower the cost if you can get things for less than $200/cr)

GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
DONE - B. SOCIAL & BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE or HUMANITIES: Psychology
DONE - DISTRIBUTED (ADD'L A, B, OR C OR ORAL COMM OR INTERPERSONAL COMM): ASL

A. COMMUNICATIONS: English Comp I is easiest-to-find option
C. MATHEMATICS OR SCIENCES - basically any college level math or science
DISTRIBUTED (ADD'L A, B, OR C OR ORAL COMM OR INTERPERSONAL COMM)
DISTRIBUTED (ADD'L A, B, OR C OR ORAL COMM OR INTERPERSONAL COMM)
Human A&P w/Lab (4)

I would take ONU courses for $150 each (ENG 109 - College Writing I; MTH 117 - Finite Math or BIO 201 - General Biological Science; and then anything else they offer for the additional "distributed" options; probably cheapest to do Human A&P there if you don't have cheaper options).
(04-12-2021, 09:19 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 08:44 PM)lmckown Wrote: Oh wow! I thought a lot more classes had touchstones! Then I definitely recommend sophia as opposed to straighterline!

Yeah, most of them don't have Touchstones. You can see which ones have Touchstones and how many they have here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Communication at Work, with its one Touchstone, might work for the Communication requirement at Pierpont (this has not been tested yet, as far as I am aware). But English Comp I or Public Speaking aren't too bad. If the friend already has any English Comp or Communication credits, they can skip right over the Sophia classes with Touchstones and just finish a bunch of Sophia classes without Touchstones.
Per the review of unofficial transcripts my kid got from Pierpont this week by email, it looks like Comm at Work and Vis Comm complete the communications requirement.
(04-15-2021, 04:48 PM)BAngieB Wrote: Per the review of unofficial transcripts my kid got from Pierpont this week by email, it looks like Comm at Work and Vis Comm complete the communications requirement.

That's great! It's pretty quick and easy to complete that class at Sophia, especially in comparison to English Composition.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 336 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 153 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 353 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 548 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 544 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 815 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,462 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,207 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 881 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 17 2,219 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM