Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me to get a Bachelor and Master Degree
Hi everyone, I had a 3-year computer related diploma 20+ years ago not from an English country. Now I'm in Canada, and took one year Bachelor program in college several years ago. I didn't continue because I found a job as a programmer. I always want to find an online fast track Bachelor degree, but there's none in Canada. For several years I never gave up to get my Bachelor/Master. I applied WGU, Regis U and PeopleU several weeks ago, and still in processing.

Two days ago I found this forum by searching DIY degree. I'm really excited there're so many success DIYer.

My target is to get any Bachelor and Master degree that related to computer software/web. I'm not sure if I'm too old to finish this program if I still have to spend 4+ years to get the degree. 
My situation is, my first language is not English, I took one year Bachelor program in Canada, worked in Canada for 10+ years as a software developer.

I don't know which plan is the best for me. Most of USA colleges need TOEFL or hold a high school diploma. Is there any college could provide online degree without English requirement and accelerate my degree?

Thanks.
(11-03-2017, 08:49 AM)maplefu Wrote: Hi everyone, I had a 3-year computer related diploma 20+ years ago not from an English country. Now I'm in Canada, and took one year Bachelor program in college several years ago. I didn't continue because I found a job as a programmer. I always want to find an online fast track Bachelor degree, but there's none in Canada. For several years I never gave up to get my Bachelor/Master. I applied WGU, Regis U and PeopleU several weeks ago, and still in processing.

Two days ago I found this forum by searching DIY degree. I'm really excited there're so many success DIYer.

My target is to get any Bachelor and Master degree that related to computer software/web. I'm not sure if I'm too old to finish this program if I still have to spend 4+ years to get the degree. 
My situation is, my first language is not English, I took one year Bachelor program in Canada, worked in Canada for 10+ years as a software developer.

I don't know which plan is the best for me. Most of USA colleges need TOEFL or hold a high school diploma. Is there any college could provide online degree without English requirement and accelerate my degree?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum,

The standard procedure, is to submit your foreign education transcipt's for a course by course evaluation to the required evaluation agency. Choose the destination college here in the United States, have your foreign transcript forwarded to the college, next step is to have your Canadian transcripts sent over to the destination college. In some cases this will automatically eliminate the need for EFL as your foreign education will demonstrate academic proficiency above high school level and your Canadian education should demonstrate English proficiency. Depending on what qualifications you already have particularly in computer certification Excelsior College used to award elective credit for these courses and I'm sure others may also. So you could be on to a great start. Next step is to find out what your general education requirements for your degree are and find a testing center for one of the multiple exams that can be taken to eliminate that part. Lots of help available here for that, what province and city are you in right now?
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
(11-03-2017, 10:41 AM)EI2HCB Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 08:49 AM)maplefu Wrote: Hi everyone, I had a 3-year computer related diploma 20+ years ago not from an English country. Now I'm in Canada, and took one year Bachelor program in college several years ago. I didn't continue because I found a job as a programmer. I always want to find an online fast track Bachelor degree, but there's none in Canada. For several years I never gave up to get my Bachelor/Master. I applied WGU, Regis U and PeopleU several weeks ago, and still in processing.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum,

The standard procedure, is to submit your foreign education transcipt's for a course by course evaluation to the required evaluation agency. Choose the destination college here in the United States, have your foreign transcript forwarded to the college, next step is to have your Canadian transcripts sent over to the destination college. In some cases this will automatically eliminate the need for EFL as your foreign education will demonstrate academic proficiency above high school level and your Canadian education should demonstrate English proficiency. Depending on what qualifications you already have particularly in computer certification Excelsior College used to award elective credit for these courses and I'm sure others may also. So you could be on to a great start. Next step is to find out what your general education requirements for your degree are and find a testing center for one of the multiple exams that can be taken to eliminate that part. Lots of help available here for that, what province and city are you in right now?

Thanks EI2HCB. Currently I'm in city Toronto.
Most of US colleges I applied need my Canadian transcript be evaluated by WES or the other agency. I have a 3-year computer diploma, which is almost useless now. The courses are too old 20+ years ago, university won't transfer any credit even for elective credit. I don't expect that diploma could give me any credit, but the one year I took in Canada I don't want to waste. If those college in US could waive my English test, I think I could enroll in.

I request some information from TESU this morning, but no response yet. I checked there tuition, it's really expensive--more than $60K.
(11-03-2017, 11:20 AM)maplefu Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 10:41 AM)EI2HCB Wrote:

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum,

Thanks EI2HCB. Currently I'm in city Toronto.
Most of US colleges I applied need my Canadian transcript be evaluated by WES or the other agency. I have a 3-year computer diploma, which is almost useless now. The courses are too old 20+ years ago, university won't transfer any credit even for elective credit. I don't expect that diploma could give me any credit, but the one year I took in Canada I don't want to waste. If those college in US could waive my English test, I think I could enroll in.

I request some information from TESU this morning, but no response yet. I checked there tuition, it's really expensive--more than $60K.

A TESU Bachelors degree can be achieved much cheaper than 60k. There are real experts in getting a TESU degree for under $10,000 on this forum. Your Master degree Program may be a different story but one step at a time.  WES takes about a month to do the evaluation and you should get your Non Canadian qualifications done too as it will clear up and confusion of a high school diploma. I did have to get a transcript of my Irish Diploma sent to Excelsior to qualify for financial aid as a non American student  you probably won't qualify for U.S government aid so would probably not need to send them a proof of high school.
In order to meet the general education requirements for your degree you'll need to take certain courses or you can skip the course's by taking exams instead. There are multiple places in Detroit or Buffalo New York that you can take CLEP and DSST exams. There might also be a place in Toronto too but places may be limited. (Talpiot College in Toronto has a test center for CLEP but is restricted) check out https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

These exams will be accepted by multiple American colleges up to about 30 credits Excelsior and TESU used to accept up to 90 credits this way but policies are changing all the time. Others can weight in on the max amount of credits who have more recent experience. Using CLEP and DSST exams has save me about $6000 on tuition so far.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Thanks EI2HCB.
Taking WES evaluation costs me $250+tax+mail > $400 for one school. If I evaluate another non Canadian College, it costs me double. Do you think it's worth?
My plan is to spend about two years to get a Bachelor from any college or university, then get a better Master.
It looks DIY plan is kind of hard to me. Maybe I should find a Canadian college online, at least no English test and no WES evaluation.
Don't assume that 20yr old degree is useless. Any non-computer courses will likely transfer just fine. In your shoes, I would get the both transcripts evaluated and apply to TESU in addition to the others. Once they process them, then you'll know where you stand in terms of finishing the degree at each school.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks davewill.

Several years ago when I enrolled Ryerson University for Computer Science program. They only transferred two courses for me. I spent several hundreds for translating and evaluating. It's not worth. Ryerson university even gave me the credit that I almost finished one of the course, which I could get A, but Ryerson gave me a 'B' as a transfer credit. I could attach the transcript for your reference if it's worth to evaluate or not.
I just got reply from TESU. I don't have to take any English test. So probably I will apply for TESU's BA CS.
$75 for application fee Sad, any promo code to waive this fee?
Do you have the previous evaluation? Maybe it still be used.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-03-2017, 09:15 PM)davewill Wrote: Do you have the previous evaluation? Maybe it still be used.

I do have evaluated before in University Of Toronto, but that's only for document, not course by course. 

I read a lot of info from TESU and Open course today. I think I should enroll the program and take exams directly without any evaluation. I need a list for TESU Computer Science courses and all courses connect to Saylor or Straight Line open course program. If anyone has the degree plan already, please show me. Thanks

BTW, how many credits I could transfer by credit-by-exam program? Or can I get all credits by open course exam?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,779 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,751 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,939 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,937 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero