Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help with TESC BA Psychology degree plan. Thanks!
GradSchool1234 Wrote:- What are the requirements to begin taking TECEP courses? I have to apply to TESC, right? Then do local universities provide the actual tests, or how do I go about taking a TECEP?
How I did it... applied to TESC, application accepted, registered for TECEP, status changed to "enrolled" on roughly the 10th day of the TECEP term, studied for TECEP, scheduled test via ProctorU, took test online from home. You can take nearly all TECEPs online, proctored right in your home. Smile

Quote:- Can I take the Liberal-Arts Capstone course before I've completed any of the other requirements for my degree? I'd love to get that class out of the way and then just compile the remaining credits through various tests.
I would strongly recommend against doing it as your first course. If you're planning to do a research project on something psychology-related, you'd certainly need to know your subject well. You don't have to take it as your final course though. For me, I've done a few Gen Ed credits, I'm clearing up the psych credits in the area of study, then going right to the Capstone. I'll complete the electives and several Gen Eds after that. So go ahead and knock out the area of study credits first if you want to be done with Capstone. Smile

Quote:- How long is the process to actually graduate from TESC once all the credits and classes are completed? Do they only graduate students every Winter/Summer?
TESC graduates students in 4 batches each year. To graduate in March, you have to submit the graduation application by Jan 1; by April 1, July 1, and Oct 1 for June, Sept, and Dec graduations respectively.

Quote:- I've navigated the Uexcel webpage, but am slightly confused. They do not show me how expensive these tests end up costing. So how much should I expect to pay for these Uexcel tests?
Click the link to the exams you'd like to take (Excelsior College | 1. Choose Your Exam). Scroll down to "Exam Fee". That's the cost payable to Excelsior. When scheduling the exam with PearsonVUE, you'd have to pay $50 for 2-hr exams and $60 for 3-hr exams. Most UExcel practice exams cost $25, $75, or $18. So... the Principles of Management will cost $95 (exam) + $25 (practice exam) + $50 (proctor fee) = $170. For this exam, you can use the free Saylor course to prepare. For other exams, you may need to purchase the textbooks.

Quote:- I've also navigated the ALEKS webpage, and am also left confused. This service is free? And there's no 'finial test' just a set of lessons to complete?
ALEKS charges a fee of $20/mth. You begin with an initial assessment, then work through the lessons. Every 5 hours or so, the system will administer a progress assessment. Once you score 70% or above on an assessment, you are eligible for credits.
Hey -

I was looking over your degree plan (comparing it to mine) and just an FYI - it appears you have 21 upper level credits listed - Abnormal Psychology TECEP counts as an upper level.

Some unsolicited advice - if you have to dump one, dump Psychology Of Adulthood and Aging. I personally found it hard to study from the book suggested by UExcel.
hickory6 Wrote:Some unsolicited advice - if you have to dump one, dump Psychology Of Adulthood and Aging. I personally found it hard to study from the book suggested by UExcel.

I found the psychology of adulthood and aging exam to be pretty straightforward and got an A (spent about 15 hours studying for this one). The books are generally a waste of time. Instantcert flash cards + 2 official practice exams + sample questions is enough to get a pass likely an A or B.

See: http://www.degreeforum.net/specific-exam...g-ece.html
This is amazing that so many people spend time helping other people.

I have been reading through all of this and i simply can not think anymore. My goal is also a BA in Psych, -well really a Masters but first things first. Also I thought i would be getting a BS in Psych, but I have determined I can get to the same place - CADC with a BA.

I started looking at UoPhoniex, way too expensive. Looked at Kaplan, great customer service, but also way too expensive. Looked at TESC, seemed great but my community college Brookdale had a great AAS in Psych (online) with a continuation through Rutgers all online. Seemed great but now I am finding out the Rutgers piece will be at Rutgers rates. So thats probably not an option. However I already enrolled at Brookdale AND PAID $1,800 to get 12 credits: Eng 121 and 122 and Intro to Sociology and (groan) Music Appreciation. These were all selected by the academic advisor before i found this site and before I really started thinking about taking Clep seriously.

So, I have a meeting with the academic advisor tomorrow to rethink these classes. $1800 seems a lot to pay for 12 credits for those classes. $450 for 3 credits for music appreciation? Seems silly, i am sure the class would be great, but i think i messed up with agreeing to that. It was all that was open for Summer I though so I didnt have many choices. She had said I need electives anyway, but should I do as many CLEP electives as possible since that will be much cheaper? It seems the last thing I want to do is spend $450 for music, or am i missing something.

I had to take my accuplacer and did great with everything 110 and 97 but failed algebra so I am studying that and need to pass that or they said i have to take a paid remedial test for algebra non credit. I am presuming there is no way round this with GenEd classes?

Sorry I am soooo new to this style of thinking. And my meeting is tomorrow so if anyone has any quick advice as to what I should do by tomorrow i would genuinely appreciate it. IN the meantime I will continue reading these forums to educate myself so I dont sound like a complete idiot :-)

Thanks again to everyone who actually cares to help us all out. So cool.
MelissAnnH Wrote:This is amazing that so many people spend time helping other people.

I have been reading through all of this and i simply can not think anymore. My goal is also a BA in Psych, -well really a Masters but first things first. Also I thought i would be getting a BS in Psych, but I have determined I can get to the same place - CADC with a BA.

I started looking at UoPhoniex, way too expensive. Looked at Kaplan, great customer service, but also way too expensive. Looked at TESC, seemed great but my community college Brookdale had a great AAS in Psych (online) with a continuation through Rutgers all online. Seemed great but now I am finding out the Rutgers piece will be at Rutgers rates. So thats probably not an option. However I already enrolled at Brookdale AND PAID $1,800 to get 12 credits: Eng 121 and 122 and Intro to Sociology and (groan) Music Appreciation. These were all selected by the academic advisor before i found this site and before I really started thinking about taking Clep seriously.

So, I have a meeting with the academic advisor tomorrow to rethink these classes. $1800 seems a lot to pay for 12 credits for those classes. $450 for 3 credits for music appreciation? Seems silly, i am sure the class would be great, but i think i messed up with agreeing to that. It was all that was open for Summer I though so I didnt have many choices. She had said I need electives anyway, but should I do as many CLEP electives as possible since that will be much cheaper? It seems the last thing I want to do is spend $450 for music, or am i missing something.

I had to take my accuplacer and did great with everything 110 and 97 but failed algebra so I am studying that and need to pass that or they said i have to take a paid remedial test for algebra non credit. I am presuming there is no way round this with GenEd classes?

Sorry I am soooo new to this style of thinking. And my meeting is tomorrow so if anyone has any quick advice as to what I should do by tomorrow i would genuinely appreciate it. IN the meantime I will continue reading these forums to educate myself so I dont sound like a complete idiot :-)

Welcome! Speaking only for myself, I chose TESC due to financial restraints and in order to complete my degree as fast as possible. Just using your own numbers as a comparison, I have easily completed 33 credits since September 2014 and have only spent somewhere around $1200. It does seem overwhelming at first to approach a degree in this unconventional way. But there are plenty of people on here who can offer you guidance and most answers can be found by searching these forums. Its not as easy as going and sitting with an advisor and having them tell you what you need to do but the sense of accomplishment you feel when you learn to navigate this on your own is great. It is easier than you think. Feel free to PM me with any questions. I am not the most knowledgeable person on here but will do my best to assist you.
MelissAnnH Wrote:This is amazing that so many people spend time helping other people.

Seemed great but now I am finding out the Rutgers piece will be at Rutgers rates. So thats probably not an option. However I already enrolled at Brookdale AND PAID $1,800 to get 12 credits: Eng 121 and 122 and Intro to Sociology and (groan) Music Appreciation. These were all selected by the academic advisor before i found this site and before I really started thinking about taking Clep seriously.

MelissAnnh,

Is your plan to stay the course and finish with Rutgers? If so, looking at their websites, their are surprisingly not CLEP friendly ( I say surprisingly because at one time TESC was going to be absorbed by Rutgers).

If you let us know your intentions, we can probably better advise you.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:MelissAnnh,

Is your plan to stay the course and finish with Rutgers? If so, looking at their websites, their are surprisingly not CLEP friendly ( I say surprisingly because at one time TESC was going to be absorbed by Rutgers).

If you let us know your intentions, we can probably better advise you.

Hi, Thanks, I had my meeting today with Brookdale and set up a meeting for tomorrow with Rutgers admission to review my plan so I will find out for sure what the deal is. This ia what they call a "communiversity" deal with Brookdale and Rutgers so I am not sure how they run the program. I am sure it will be NOT clep friendly in which case I will just go to TESC to finish out.

I have so many more questions but I know they have all been answered here in these forums, so I dont want to be lazy and/or make an ass of myself asking questions that have been answered a thousand times before me.

I understand Cleps and how it fits into my degree a thousand times more now. Since I already signed up for and PAID for ENG 121 and 122 I am going to run through the instacert cards and see if its something I can pass by Clep, so i can just change those classes before May 18 (start date). I will also attempt to clep Psch 106 and do a Dantes/DSST for Intro to computing. Those will be my first attempts at the non traditional pursuit of this BA Psych degree! :-) Now on to reading these forums to answer my list of questions!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,822 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,943 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero