Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please look at my degree progress. TESC instead of Excelsior!! ?? Please advise
dfrecore Wrote:I don't know much about Excelsior, I can only tell you a little about TESC. You have a LOT of Lower level credits but not many Upper level, so that's where you are going to have to focus you attention. For both a BA in Liberal Arts and a BSBA in General Management, you have to take a Public Speaking course/exam (DSST has one) and an Info Literacy course/exam (CLEP's Analyzing & Interpreting Literature is supposed to be easy to pass and fits the bill).

After that, for Liberal Studies, you have to take 3 UL courses/exams (DSST has several in the Humanities and/or Social Sciences areas), plus the Capstone.

For a BSBA in General Management, you have to take 10 exams/courses, but all of them can be taken via test or online course. Even though there are more courses, it's actually cheaper to do this because the capstone for Liberal Arts is $1500, while all of the tests/online courses for the Management degree is $100-$150 each except if you took the Sophia Project Management course which is $329.

If it were me, I would apply to TESC and see what your Academic Evaluation looks like. You will want to make sure that any courses you took get transferred over correctly, as they may have a hard time with some of them because they don't have an equivalent at TESC. I had to send in several requests to have them move several courses to the correct category.

Then once you have an online account, you can run a what-if scenario to see what any other degree required. You can do this for any of the degrees they offer, and it's quick and easy.

Anyway, if you have a spare $75, that's what I would do. Good luck!

The PM course at Sophia is on my list of things to do. Thanks for the advice.
Exfactor Wrote:Excelsor accepts "D" grades as long as such is not apart of a degree core requirements. Therefore, the OP English II credit won't be accepted; however, such can be attained by using a TECEP. The Econ course should be approved as credit given that it's not a core requirement for a liberal arts degree, and that the OP GPA is above a 2.0 when the "D" grade is applied.

Excelsior offers two evaluations the "preliminary" and the "official" evaluation. The preliminary just allows you to get a picture of where you credits will be applied; however, in the process they do evaluate all your credits. The "official" evaluation is done by the "department/school" that you're enrolled in. The official evaluation is the only evaluation that counts. Personally, my preliminary evaluation was a mess, but my official evaluation was awesome, as my official evaluation accepted all the credits that my preliminary evaluation denied. So at Excelsior your evaluation is done by two departments.

However, as you stated I think a business degree at TESC maybe more logical for the OP due to the more options of testing out, and smaller amount of required UL credits.
Thanks for the detailed reply!
I tried to find this info to no avail. Does EC accept TECEPs for credit?
OK here is my contingency plan for meeting UL credit requirements:

Penn Foster UL

HRM 320 Employee Benefits
MKT 340 Retail Mgmt
BUS 425 Strat Bus Mgmt
Bus 400 Business Ethics

Sophia UL
Project Mgmt

ECE
Human Resources Mgmt
Labor Relations
Organizational Behavior

If needed - Tor College Abnormal Psyc
With Capstone this plan of action gives me 30 UL credits :-)
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply!
I tried to find this info to no avail. Does EC accept TECEPs for credit?

I believe they do as their was a former EC student on here that transferred a couple TECEP's to the college.

futuremrsmlb Wrote:OK here is my contingency plan for meeting UL credit requirements:

Penn Foster UL

HRM 320 Employee Benefits
MKT 340 Retail Mgmt
BUS 425 Strat Bus Mgmt
Bus 400 Business Ethics

Sophia UL
Project Mgmt

ECE
Human Resources Mgmt
Labor Relations
Organizational Behavior

If needed - Tor College Abnormal Psyc
With Capstone this plan of action gives me 30 UL credits :-)

You will also receive UL credit for your Aleks course of "stats for behavioral science" or "business stats," they duplicate so you can only use one; however, which ever one they use such will be consider UL credit at Excelsior.

So from what I can see you will have 6 UL credits going in, where you will need an additional 24 UL credits to satisfy the 30 UL requirement, plus 1 credit for information literacy this can be done at Torah, and you also have to retake "ENG 102 English Comp II" since you received a "D" in the course, as it won't transfer because it's a core requirement, ENC-102-TE English Composition II (TCEP) will satisfy that requirement. So it looks like you will need 28 credits to complete your degree.

Your credits remind me of mine. I transferred to Excelsior with about 100 transferred credits, only to realize that only 3 of my credits was UL. I spent a year (all last year) getting 30+ UL credits just so I could finally graduate. Whatever decision you make, in the end it will be well worth it.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
I just sent an email to EC about accepting TECEPS. If the answer is yes, completing the UL requirements will be a breeze! :-)
dfrecore Wrote:Another tricky thing - you will need 30 UL credits in Arts/Sciences, which will definitely be difficult to test out of. There are only 4 DSST's that Excelsior counts as UL. If you are planning on testing out, you'll have to use UExcel exams to get those UL courses, and they can be more expensive than DSST/CLEP's. Some are $95 but many are $345, and there's a $50 testing fee on top of the cost of the exam. Yikes!

Good luck with everything.

Most Uexcels are $95 with a $50 testing fee. Only a few are more expensive with a $60 testing fee.

Exfactor Wrote:Excelsior offers two evaluations the "preliminary" and the "official" evaluation. The preliminary just allows you to get a picture of where you credits will be applied; however, in the process they do evaluate all your credits. The "official" evaluation is done by the "department/school" that you're enrolled in. The official evaluation is the only evaluation that counts. Personally, my preliminary evaluation was a mess, but my official evaluation was awesome, as my official evaluation accepted all the credits that my preliminary evaluation denied. So at Excelsior your evaluation is done by two departments.

It's just hard to know where you stand when they give you a message on several of your courses that they will be further evaluated once you enroll. Maybe this doesn't happen to all people, but this is the message I received for some of my courses on my preliminary review.

Course Content for the following course/s will be reviewed in greater detail which will take place at the time of enrollment.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Most Uexcels are $95 with a $50 testing fee. Only a few are more expensive with a $60 testing fee.

It's just hard to know where you stand when they give you a message on several of your courses that they will be further evaluated once you enroll. Maybe this doesn't happen to all people, but this is the message I received for some of my courses on my preliminary review.

Course Content for the following course/s will be reviewed in greater detail which will take place at the time of enrollment.

I just checked and I can take the following $95 exams for UL credit Corporate Finance, Employee Benefits, Retail Mgmt, Business Ethics and a few others. Im pretty confident about this since I used to work in HR.
Feeling a little better about my decision now. Thanks fo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,241 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,890 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,383 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,703 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,930 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,796 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,064 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,981 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,349 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,724 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero