Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Precalculus at TESU
I have a required Precalculus (MAT-129) course I need to fulfill at TESU.
Is there an alternative anyone knows of? I kind of struggled through College Algebra.

Mike
(07-26-2019, 09:15 AM)mikesar Wrote: I have a required Precalculus (MAT-129) course I need to fulfill at TESU.
Is there an alternative anyone knows of? I kind of struggled through College Algebra.

Mike

When I completed my degree through TESU, both Trigonometry and Precalculus through Aleks would transfer in from ACE as precalculus. I have been away from the alternative credit community for a while though, so I would verify through one of the more active participants.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes UptonSinclair's post:
  • mikesar
Aleks Trigonometry was good. Only it felt impossibly long. But that is probably because I tried to finish in less than 3 weeks, and worked on the course several hours a day during the weekends. If you decide to spend a whole month learning it bit by bit, I think it will be a good experience.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(07-26-2019, 10:28 AM)Supermind Wrote: Aleks Trigonometry was good. Only it felt impossibly long. But that is probably because I tried to finish in less than 3 weeks, and worked on the course several hours a day during the weekends. If you decide to spend a whole month learning it bit by bit, I think it will be a good experience.

Do you know if TESU still accepts credits from Aleks?
They did in March this year- I transferred Trigonometry & Statistics. The ACE recommendation for Aleks math courses does not seem to be expiring any time soon. But please check with TESU once, for they now have a new system of approving course providers like Aleks. CSM & Study.com have made it on their list on fully approved course providers. Aleks, I think is ‘provisionally approved’ but not yet ‘fully approved’- whatever that means.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
@mikesar Just buckle down and do it man. There is no shortcut.

Usually people stuggle with math because they missed some fundamental concepts.

If you struggled through college algebra then you will struggle through precalc as well.

Is it your algebra that is weak? Or is it your trig that is weak? Or your geometry?

Go back and work your way up. I personally like to recommend "mywhyU" on youtube because most people are able to find what they are missing like that. Start with video one and work from there.

Mathematics is a skill like any other, the only way you'll be good at baseball is to play baseball...

There is no shortcut. Just pactice and in a month or two you'll be ready.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-27-2019, 08:37 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Mathematics is a skill like any other, the only way you'll be good at baseball is to play baseball...

This. People think that because math is a subject that they should study it, like they would history or literature. It's much more akin to learning an instrument - you can't do it just by watching someone else do it
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(07-26-2019, 09:15 AM)mikesar Wrote: I have a required Precalculus (MAT-129) course I need to fulfill at TESU.

Mike

Nope, no alternative.  Your best bet, if you struggled through College Algebra, is to start fresh BELOW College Algebra, and work your way through.  That way, you can plug any holes you had in your foundation prior to moving up.

Now, if you're asking the best way to get credit for Precalc, then that's a different story.  I think based on what some people here have experienced, that Study.com might be a good way to get it.  They were the 3rd and final way for me to get my Stats credit, thank heavens (my VERY last course to finish my degree - I even took it after my capstone!).  I tried Aleks & SL with no luck, finally was able to pass with Study.com
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 16 717 1 hour ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,981 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 270 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,159 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch