Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with Leadership Programs
Whether it's a leadership development program within a company, a university's executive leadership course, or a degree program, there are outcome issues that need to be addressed. 

This article is more of an opinion, but the author is correct based on research data. Leadership is a vague concept that can't be measured, so the goal of the company should be to produce leaders who can get results. Every organization has its own set of goals. If you're a for-profit business, your goals will likely include increased sales and productivity from employees. If you're a non-profit or governmental organization, then you might be looking to reduce turnover and improve the outcomes of the clients or community residents served. These goals require different skills and possibly even different leadership styles that canned leadership curriculum cannot address. 

https://www.td.org/insights/why-most-lea...-and-money

This article talks about studies that show that many leadership programs are a waste of money due to poor design. An interesting finding that was mentioned is that adult learners forget 50% of what they learned in a lecture within two weeks. It also talks about how the quality of leadership programs are usually measured by how many people are promoted or surveys asking program participants about their satisfaction level. The actual effectiveness of leadership programs is usually not measured. Getting a promotion based on perceived qualifications does not matter if performance is not improved. 

The author goes on to make recommendations on how to improve leadership development. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/work-in-pro...ad188c5bf4

Here's another article on why leadership programs fail.

https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insigh...grams-fail
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
True leadership can't be taught out of a book.  It is also a lot about work culture!  Corporate greed produces a different type of leader.  Army infantry commanders eat last in the field (after all the men).  To this day (long retired) I still eat last in a group of civilians out of habit.  Leadership is a lifestyle NOT a theory out of a book.  

Just today I received a nice looking college certificate in leadership and management in the mail.  It was mostly given to me as I led 800-men hands on.  Only a fool thinks they can teach leadership out of a seminar.

My next few years are about going to Ivy League Executive Education Certificate programs.  It will be humorous.  Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 3 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • brainfroze, MNomadic, studiousimp
(06-14-2018, 09:08 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Corporate greed produces a different type of leader.  

You say "corporate greed," I say "managing limited resources efficiently."  Since most companies are run MUCH more efficiently than any government body EVER, I would say that it may produce a better leader than most government type programs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-15-2018, 02:27 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 09:08 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Corporate greed produces a different type of leader.  

You say "corporate greed," I say "managing limited resources efficiently."  Since most companies are run MUCH more efficiently than any government body EVER, I would say that it may produce a better leader than most government type programs.

You bring up a good point.  I would rather be effective than efficient.  They are NOT the same.   Managing is not Leadership.  Two different things.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • sanantone
This is why I believe different leadership styles are needed for different types of organizations. Governments have contracted out traditionally governmental tasks to for-profit companies to save money. They're usually successful at saving money, but it comes at a cost in other areas. The employees are often poorly-trained, have lower morale, and the companies experience higher turnover rates. This is the reason why for-profit companies are rarely trusted with maximum security prisons. Employees are seen as a warm body to fulfill contract requirements. That's management of resources, but that's not leadership.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning
(06-15-2018, 10:23 AM)sanantone Wrote: This is why I believe different leadership styles are needed for different types of organizations. Governments have contracted out traditionally governmental tasks to for-profit companies to save money. They're usually successful at saving money, but it comes at a cost in other areas. The employees are often poorly-trained, have lower morale, and the companies experience higher turnover rates. This is the reason why for-profit companies are rarely trusted with maximum security prisons. Employees are seen as a warm body to fulfill contract requirements. That's management of resources, but that's not leadership.

I agree that management of resources is not leadership.

True. I misspoke. But corporate greed is not worse than government corruption, which is rampant. And while companies can treat employees like warm bodies, government has it's own problems - like having ZERO incentive to improve, since most people can't ever be fired. If that's not a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is (see the VA for your proof). I could name 100 agencies that are terrible, and wouldn't even be getting past the tip of that iceberg.

Anyway, good or bad leadership can happen anywhere. I have MANY friends who have talked about terrible leadership in all branches of the military - so just because you eat last doesn't make you a good leader. That's just protocol. Leadership is way more than that.

Sorry to get off on this rant, but "corporate greed" was unnecessary to say IMHO. I've had PLENTY of great leadership in companies where we actually had to make money in order for the company to continue to exist. Oops, didn't mean to point that out, but ALL companies have to make money in order to exist. That's how it works in the real world.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To stay on OP discussion:

Behavioral Differences between Leaders and Managers

TRAITS – LEADER vs. Manager
Focus: Leading People vs. Management Work
Horizon: Long-Term vs. Short-Term
Blame: Takes vs. Blames
Credit: Gives vs. Takes
Concern: Does the “right” thing vs. Does things right
Risk: Takes vs. minimizes
Style: transformational vs. transactional
Percussion: Sell vs. Tell
Dynamic: Proactive vs. Reactive
Energy: Passon vs. Control
Power: Personal Charisma vs. Formal Authority
Approach: Sets Direction vs. Plans Details
Seeks: Vision vs. Objectives
*many others
REFERENCE. Foundations of Management, 2010, 3rd Ed., Institute of Certified Professional Managers (ICPM), page 36

I also agree that you need to do more than eat last to be a good leader. It is difficult to get fired from the government, but the people who need to be fired usually don't advance. Otherwise, government agencies tend to be excellent at employee development and tend to promote from within. Also, pay raises are contingent upon satisfactory performance evaluations, so there is plenty incentive to improve.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(06-15-2018, 01:10 PM)sanantone Wrote: I also agree that you need to do more than eat last to be a good leader. It is difficult to get fired from the government, but the people who need to be fired usually don't advance. Otherwise, government agencies tend to be excellent at employee development and tend to promote from within. Also, pay raises are contingent upon satisfactory performance evaluations, so there is plenty incentive to improve.

I agree.  That was just one minor example.  Leading-by-example (LBE) is a leader trait, not a manager.  Leading combat patrols from the front when you do not have to is a leader trait not a manager.    Managers order other people to harm without self-sacrifice and risk for themselves.  Leaders lead from the front and have the same risk or more.  This I know first hand.

ChinaMart executives manage from ivory towers while NOT on food stamps and making 1188-times their common workers.  Real leadership Huh
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/23/news/com...index.html

Both corporate and government managers are a mixed bag.  There are good and bad in both.  The systems often corrupt both in different ways.    

In the end Management is not Leadership.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,336 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 358 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 390 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 522 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  New MA in Leadership from Kairos U NotJoeBiden 7 680 02-06-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: housecat
  NAU Personalized Learning Master of Organizational Leadership Jonathan Whatley 11 1,582 12-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,650 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,421 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,342 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect
  Completion programs for Business Heartstrings 4 464 10-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings