Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ProctorU
Does anyone feel this is a security risk to your life? Anyone experienced anything sketchy using this service?
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
collegechick Wrote:Does anyone feel this is a security risk to your life? Anyone experienced anything sketchy using this service?

Do you have specific concerns? We can address them directly. There's no real threat, anything they can do on your computer you'll be able to see. They have keyboard and mouse access, but they don't have any access on the backend. They can see you and your screen. When the test is over, and you disconnect, they no longer have this access.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
collegechick Wrote:Does anyone feel this is a security risk to your life? Anyone experienced anything sketchy using this service?

No. It works as advertised.

jsd Wrote:anything they can do on your computer you'll be able to see.

This is not exactly true. The logmein+rescue app can, and does, run scripts (.cmd files) on your computer when you first start it. You can see their names and results scroll by in the chat window, but not their contents. There are three of them that I've seen it run the last time I had a proctorU'd exam.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:This is not exactly true. The logmein+rescue app can, and does, run scripts (.cmd files) on your computer when you first start it. You can see their names and results scroll by in the chat window, but not their contents. There are three of them that I've seen it run the last time I had a proctorU'd exam.

if I'm not mistaken, that's not something the particular proctor is doing, that's just initialization of the application, no? the proctor can't just initiate a script (without using your keyboard/mouse, which you'd see on screen), right?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Are you worried about safety because they take a photo of your ID?
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
It doesn't concern me at all.
Having used the service four times, I have never felt it to be a security risk... Especially to my life. You will be fine.
It concerns me.

I do mine on an old laptop that has nothing on it.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High_Order1 Wrote:It concerns me.

I do mine on an old laptop that has nothing on it.

This is what I do as well, but after doing their exams for so many courses...
I have not had an issue, I purposely run it on my older system in case...
After a few MS Security Essentials (Now Windows Defender) scans, no issues...
I also run Malwarebytes (Trial version with the Pro features) and nothing either...
All in all - any course provider using ProctorU should be fine, they have their "Reputation" at hand...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
jsd Wrote:if I'm not mistaken, that's not something the particular proctor is doing, that's just initialization of the application, no? the proctor can't just initiate a script (without using your keyboard/mouse, which you'd see on screen), right?

Well yes and no. Yes to the first half, in that these are just scripts defined by proctorU to automatically run, but the second half is a no or at best maybe. The possibility certainly exists that the proctors can run scripts on demand, it depends on what features their version of logmein+rescue has and what sort of controls are in place at their end.

I'm not paranoid about it and have no reason to distrust them -- I've taken several dozen exams through ProctorU on my only laptop, which as a IT consultant is directly responsible for all of my income -- I just want people to have all the facts.

If someone is concerned about the program or scripts, they should create a new user that is not an administrator or even a "power user" and do their proctoring under that user. ProctorU won't have access to anything important that way. Others have suggested running it in VMWare but that's no longer an option I think -- one of the scripts I've seen run has vmware in the name and is, presumably, checking for that exact situation.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,201 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  ProctorU to Become Meazure Learning eriehiker 6 1,147 10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  ProctorU TwinMom 15 2,223 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  ProctorU data breach jch 8 1,838 08-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  ProctorU Premium Fee Issues ctcarl 2 1,333 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  ProctorU natshar 3 955 04-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Shocked ProctorU issues? mariorun 6 1,467 10-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88
  Serious (possible) issue with proctorU cecilgambe7 10 2,947 08-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about RPNow vs ProctorU Imbanewbie 15 3,763 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
Question ProctorU - what happens if your internet disconnects during an exam? Kelly Green 4 10,273 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: zzzz24