Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about RPNow vs ProctorU
I want to know what it is the difference between them. What it is the pro  and cons how do I  know when it will need to use it for the class. Do it show on the syllabus?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Masters University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

With ProctorU, a real person talks to you and watches you scan the room with your webcam. With RPNow, they record you doing it so someone can view it later, but you don't interact with a person. ProctorU needs an appointment and RPNow doesn't. In many situations, you don't have a choice of proctoring service. For example if you do a Straighterline class, you have to use ProctorU.

I would say that if you can choose between the two, you would be better off with RPNow. The whole setup with ProctorU is a pain, there is at least a 20min precursor to actually being able to take the exam because of the hoops you have to jump through. I loathe ProctorU and I haven't even had to use them much. But it's not what I would choose.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It depends on your preference.

Me personally I never had an issue with ProctorU as I always used the "take it now" option and within minutes I start my exam. I have heard countless of issues but I never once had a negative experience with them.

I think that schedules are put off because they will serve a "take it now" test taker then get back to the regular folk. My advice is if you're using ProctorU, use the take it now option. It is nice to get feedback from your proctor and for me made the whole experience feel more "real" YMMV though and the instant feedback is great. A couple of the proctors commented saying they like my accent a few times, lol!

As for RPNow no problems at all, just do your exam on your webcam. The only thing I didn't like is having to wait for your grade.

As Ideas said you really don't have a choice in the matter.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Davar allows you to choose...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for clarifying. It is good to know.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Masters University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

ProctorU usually charges more if you want to take your exam sooner. The amount depends on what school or company your exam is for. Some people have problems with ProctorU proctors being very picky, but RPNow can sometimes have issues too, like if your recorded exam session didn't upload right or if they couldn't see clearly when you did your room scan.

I hate ProctorU, but it's been a necessary evil for my success. I used RPNow once....*loved* it!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
(07-20-2019, 11:19 PM)Toastmaster Wrote: I hate ProctorU, but it's been a necessary evil for my success. I used RPNow once....*loved* it!

Ah yes! I feel the same way, ProctorU was "OK", but RPNow is so much better. But the lure of free courses from StraighterLine kept me on ProctorU. I scored so many credits off StraigherLine when I used them. For newbies, I still recommend them for LL/open book courses where you don't think you want to really learn the material (you know, brain dumping the exams). For Study.com, it's the best option for UL and courses where you want to actually remember/retain the material more.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I also agree with Toastmaster. RPNow can sometimes take a while though. That is if they must review / manually approve your video if it got flagged. Some test takers really like knowing that their room scan or ID won't be denied later on, since a human already looked (at ProctorU).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,146 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,322 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,201 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 543 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 730 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,196 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 959 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 815 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,391 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda