Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychology Road Map at the Big Three
So, I'm working out the details of one of two possible degrees. Degree (A) BS in Business, Degree (B) BS in Psychology. Either should do for a management job in my estimation and the latter has a reduced math requirement which I find attractive.

Building a road map for Business where I CLEP/DSST out of nearly everything and Study.com the rest was a fairly simple process. If I follow that road map, I'll only need to take my capstone course at Excelsior and a one credit "Information Literacy" course. That's it.

Building a road map for Psychology at Excelsior seems a lot harder. For one, the degree requirements PDF vague, at least in comparison to the Business requirements PDF. So, it's a lot less clear which course corresponds to what requirement. Also, while they mention a capstone requirement they don't specify the capstone course. Eventually, I inferred it's probably the Liberal Arts capstone; that's just an educated guess.

It seems Excelsior used to accept GRE exams as credit for psychology but has seen fit to abandon the practice. I read on another thread that Charter Oak accepts GRE for psychology, but I'm a little reluctant here. (There is a PDF that spells it out.)

First, I read (somewhere) that all Charter Oak degree "concentrations" don't hold the same weight as concentrations at other colleges and that they're effectively General Studies degrees in their respective fields. Is that accurate? Also, how are GRE credits reflected on the college transcript?

Second, has anyone anyone recently CLEP/DSST/Study.com (et al) the heck out of a psychology degree at any of the "big three" without the benefit of GRE test scores?

Third, does anyone on how to side-step the Information Literacy course (at 1 credit / $510) and replace it with something else from CLEP/DSST or some less expensive source?

Thanks for the help / feedback.
COSC now has a major in psychology, but I don't know how the GRE will apply to it, if at all. They no longer offer a BSGS with a concentration in psychology. They offer a BSGS with a concentration in applied behavioral science with an area of focus in psychology.

https://www.charteroak.edu/psychology/
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/2017-...cience.php
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
For a BA Psychology degree at TESU, you need to complete the following courses:

LL courses
Intro to Psychology (study.com)
Intro to Social psychology (study.com)
Research methods in psychology (study.com)
Abnormal psychology (study.com)
Ethics in social sciences (study.com)
Statistics (Aleks or Saylor)

UL courses (You need 5 UL courses)
History & Systems of Psychology (study.com)
Psychology of personality (study.com)
Organizational Theory or I/O Psychology (study.com)
Abnormal psychology (Uexcel)
Research methods (Uexcel)
Social Psychology (Uexcel. You need 6 credits for Soc. Psych, so you might need to take this course in addition to the LL course on study.com. Alternatively, there is another LL course on study.com called ‘Advanced social Psychology’)
Physiological psychology (Coopersmith)

Library science 101 on study.com will fulfill your info literacy requirements. It is the shortest & simplest course with only 27 lessons. You might be able to finish it in one day.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • amberwalk
(12-23-2018, 05:37 PM)Supermind Wrote: For a BA Psychology degree at TESU, you need to complete the following courses:

LL courses
Intro to Psychology (study.com)
Intro to Social psychology (study.com)
Research methods in psychology (study.com)
Abnormal psychology (study.com)
Ethics in social sciences (study.com)
Statistics (Aleks or Saylor)

UL courses (You need 5 UL courses)
History & Systems of Psychology (study.com)
Psychology of personality (study.com)
Organizational Theory or I/O Psychology (study.com)
Abnormal psychology (Uexcel)
Research methods (Uexcel)
Social Psychology (Uexcel. You need 6 credits for Soc. Psych, so you might need to take this course in addition to the LL course on study.com. Alternatively, there is another LL course on study.com called ‘Advanced social Psychology’)
Physiological psychology (Coopersmith)

You listed research methods twice: one with Uexcel and one with Study.com. I guess you could use both, but there's no reason to.

There many ways to fulfill some of these requirements. For example, there are several ways to fulfill intro to psychology and statistics and a couple of ways to fulfill abnormal psychology.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I listed it twice to enunciate that there are both LL and UL options for the same topic. It is upto retro to choose. You only need to earn 3 credits for that topic. Except for social psych, which requires 6 credits (2 courses), all others require only one.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
When I put together a criminal justice plan, these are all the options I found for statistics.

Straighterline
Study.com
Pearson/Propero
DSST
ed4credit
Uexcel
TECEP
Saylor
Sophia Learning
Coopersmith

I like to list everything because some people will prefer some formats over others.

(12-23-2018, 05:43 PM)Supermind Wrote: I listed it twice to enunciate that there are both LL and UL options for the same topic. It is upto retro to choose. You only need to earn 3 credits for that topic. Except for social psych, which requires 6 credits (2 courses), all others require only one.

No problem. I just thought it wasn't clear that research methods didn't need to be completed twice. I probably would have listed it as

Research Methods in Psychology: Uexcel (UL) or Study.com (LL)
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...1st,_2015)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • jsd, sanantone
You can do a business degree at COSC without precal. My sons are both doing it after having taken only Business Stats through Straighterline. You could also do the DSST exam, which I think is a LOT easier than the Business Stats course- but ymmv.

IMO, if you think you want a job in business, get a business degree. Psychology doesn't lead to employment and it doesn't have a good bridge to anything. In order to work "in" some capacity to use the degree, you really need a grad degree. While I'm not going to say psychology doesn't help with business, your lack of accounting / economics / and managerial classes doesn't help your case.
(12-23-2018, 08:46 PM)cookderosa Wrote: You can do a business degree at COSC without precal.  My sons are both doing it after having taken only Business Stats through Straighterline.  You could also do the DSST exam, which I think is a LOT easier than the Business Stats course- but ymmv.

IMO, if you think you want a job in business, get a business degree. Psychology doesn't lead to employment and it doesn't have a good bridge to anything.  In order to work "in" some capacity to use the degree, you really need a grad degree. While I'm not going to say psychology doesn't help with business, your lack of accounting / economics / and managerial classes doesn't help your case.

If you want to work in business, then you should get a business degree. However, saying that psychology doesn't lead to employment is not true. Business administration and psychology do have relatively high underemployment rates. Business administration has a high underemployment rate because too many people have the degree. Psychology has a high underemployment rate because its graduates have unrealistic expectations. 

These are some of the jobs one can do with a bachelor's in psychology:

Social/human services at non-profit and government organizations and for-profit organizations that contract with the government (Child Protective Services, Adult Protective Services, case management, etc.)
Parole/probation/community supervision officer
Pre-trial officer
Counseling (I've been a substance abuse and career/academic counselor with a BA in Social Science. Most states do not require that substance abuse counselors have a graduate degree for licensure.)
Market Research
Psychiatric Technician
UX/UI Design
Research Assistant (these jobs aren't numerous, though)
Human Resources (maybe)
Psychometrician (these are the people who score psychiatric and personality tests)
Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst (they mostly work with people on the autism spectrum)

I currently work in tax enforcement. Even though I have a bachelor's degree in business administration, I didn't need it. My coworkers have all kinds of degrees; the tax laws are taught through our job training. Many, if not most, management jobs don't require high-level math or accounting and budgeting skills. Most people are promoted to manage the position they were previously working in. Take Child Protective Services, for example. The supervisors are former CPS investigators. The managers are former CPS supervisors.

Besides, business administration only gives you a taste of accounting and finance. Unless you choose a concentration in accounting, you will not be skilled enough to do complex accounting.

I have a BA in Social Science, by the way. I have had no problem with finding jobs related to my degree.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-23-2018, 09:23 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 08:46 PM)cookderosa Wrote: You can do a business degree at COSC without precal.  My sons are both doing it after having taken only Business Stats through Straighterline.  You could also do the DSST exam, which I think is a LOT easier than the Business Stats course- but ymmv.

IMO, if you think you want a job in business, get a business degree. Psychology doesn't lead to employment and it doesn't have a good bridge to anything.  In order to work "in" some capacity to use the degree, you really need a grad degree. While I'm not going to say psychology doesn't help with business, your lack of accounting / economics / and managerial classes doesn't help your case.

If you want to work in business, then you should get a business degree. However, saying that psychology doesn't lead to employment is not true. Business administration and psychology do have relatively high underemployment rates. Business administration has a high underemployment rate because too many people have the degree. Psychology has a high underemployment rate because its graduates have unrealistic expectations. 

These are some of the jobs one can do with a bachelor's in psychology:

Social/human services at non-profit and government organizations and for-profit organizations that contract with the government (Child Protective Services, Adult Protective Services, case management, etc.)
Parole/probation/community supervision officer
Pre-trial officer
Counseling (I've been a substance abuse and career/academic counselor with a BA in Social Science. Most states do not require that substance abuse counselors have a graduate degree for licensure.)
Market Research
Psychiatric Technician
UX/UI Design
Research Assistant (these jobs aren't numerous, though)
Human Resources (maybe)
Psychometrician (these are the people who score psychiatric and personality tests)
Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst (they mostly work with people on the autism spectrum)

I currently work in tax enforcement. Even though I have a bachelor's degree in business administration, I didn't need it. My coworkers have all kinds of degrees; the tax laws are taught through our job training. Many, if not most, management jobs don't require high-level math or accounting and budgeting skills. Most people are promoted to manage the position they were previously working in. Take Child Protective Services, for example. The supervisors are former CPS investigators. The managers are former CPS supervisors.

Besides, business administration only gives you a taste of accounting and finance. Unless you choose a concentration in accounting, you will not be skilled enough to do complex accounting.

I have a BA in Social Science, by the way. I have had no problem with finding jobs related to my degree.

I think you missed my point. The OP wants to get a job in business. Between psychology and business, business is the easy winner.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 482 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,071 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  AA degree to BS Psychology - advice needed StJackson 7 327 02-26-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,424 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 507 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Planning RA credits from ASU for a BA in Psychology at TESU Herb191 5 392 09-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  BA/BS Psychology - TESU or EU or other? l8989v 6 676 04-20-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Psychology or Human Resources? DecemberGirl23 4 506 04-11-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Fastest Path to a Bachelor's (and Master's) in Psychology for me Ninjadude 15 1,669 03-16-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore