Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global - wants payment before eval??
So my husband applied to PUG yesterday, and today we get something that says he needs to put a down payment of $895 to enroll before they can go further.  No eval of old credits (87.5cr from 3 RA schools + 1 DSST exam + 1 AWS Cert), nothing until he enrolls.

Ummmm...no way are we doing this without an eval.

Has anyone come across this before?  I'm not plunking down damn near $1000 to get an eval.  WTH is going on here?

And, BTW, he isn't even thinking about enrolling until February, so it's not like he wants to start on Jan 1.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
That is ridiculous! No way would I do that. They aren't the only option for a degree out there. They should realize this.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That's crazy. I at one point wanted to go there. They didn't ask for any payment until after my transfer credits were looked at and I was sure I wanted to do the degree.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Nope. My husband attends Purdue Global and did not make any kind of payment until after he was enrolled and taking classes. Did he submit the unofficial transcript when he applied? My husband had to. Not sure if that was because he applied for an Excel Track program which is their competency based program. What did they say the $895 was specifically for?
(12-19-2020, 07:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So my husband applied to PUG yesterday, and today we get something that says he needs to put a down payment of $895 to enroll before they can go further.

Think I made a post on this elsewhere a while back, but I was turned off by Purdue Global. The courses seem good quality and I thoroughly enjoyed the one I took from them, but there's something about their sales and marketing tactics that I find quite off-putting. I got the distinct impression that goal was making money first, providing education second (and that second was quite distant). There is a fair amount of obfuscation in how they price . . . well, everything.

The fact that they're wanting you to commit to the degree before providing information that would help you fully determine whether it is suitable for your needs, speaks to this approach.

I'll bet if you ask them about this $895, they'll be only too happy to point out that this is not an evaluation fee, but is rather a payment that goes towards your courses which you were definitely going to pay anyway. Which is a pretty clever psychological trick if you don't know what they're doing.
Had a similar question on a different thread, it was about COSC, but no one replied so do not have an answer yet.

I applied and sent in transcripts just to have an evaluation. I shouldn't have ro pay anything after that unless I enroll? Correct?
(12-20-2020, 10:31 AM)Seagull Wrote: Had a similar question on a different thread, it was about COSC, but no one replied so do not have an answer yet.

I applied and sent in transcripts just to have an evaluation.  I shouldn't have ro pay anything after that unless I enroll? Correct?

seagull, I'd hope so. I sent all my transcripts in and if they ask me to pay before eval I'll tell them to shove it up their you know what.
Pierpont AAS BOG - Graduated 5/7/21
UMPI BAS minor in management- Graduated 6/1/2021
WGU MSML- Starting 7/1/21
LOL, I think PUG just wants your business and having some deposit is the way to do it... you know, kind of a guarantee of some sort, oh wells...

And in regards to COSC, you don't pay anything to start, they'll give you an initial evaluation until they lock your account in 6 months of inactivity

Keep reapplying with the same application waiver and it'll reset the time, you can send in more evaluations anytime before they lock it

Last but not least, if you are going to start COSC, they'll need a $150 deposit, it'll be applied to your first course, the cornerstone...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-20-2020, 11:42 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, I think PUG just wants your business and having some deposit is the way to do it... you know, kind of a guarantee of some sort, oh wells...

And in regards to COSC, you don't pay anything to start, they'll give you an initial evaluation until they lock your account in 6 months of inactivity

Keep reapplying with the same application waiver and it'll reset the time, you can send in more evaluations anytime before they lock it

Last but not least, if you are going to start COSC, they'll need a $150 deposit, it'll be applied to your first course, the cornerstone...
Thanks.
(12-20-2020, 08:38 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 07:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So my husband applied to PUG yesterday, and today we get something that says he needs to put a down payment of $895 to enroll before they can go further.

I'll bet if you ask them about this $895, they'll be only too happy to point out that this is not an evaluation fee, but is rather a payment that goes towards your courses which you were definitely going to pay anyway. Which is a pretty clever psychological trick if you don't know what they're doing.

Correct, they said it's a deposit towards the enrollment fee.

I did attach his unofficial transcripts to the app, so they have those.  Not sure how to get his AWS cert over there, he has it on Acclaim (haha!! he knew about them before I ever did) - but I can't figure out how to get it there.  But at least I know how those credits will come in for him (55cr quarter).

It's just so lame - who in the world pays before getting an eval? That's nuts.  And it's not happening.  If she tries to push it again, I will have some serious words to say to her.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,442 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 235 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 741 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What are UMass Global MyPath classes like? pluggingalong 14 3,473 12-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  umass global b20 9 1,804 10-05-2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 388 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects pluggingalong 13 1,336 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Purdue University Global - BA IT Bunch of Changes LevelUP 15 1,401 07-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 982 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University Londinium7 14 2,787 11-03-2022, 11:16 AM
Last Post: ss20ts