Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting It All Together—Suggestions/Tips
I've been here for a number months, and while I have a better understanding of what I need to know and do, there is still a whole lot of information that I have to look over—and I'm sure all newcomers feel similarly! Smile 

From navigating all this information, I'm creating small systems to organize everything. I'd like to know, how do you organize all the important information that one needs while embarking on this journey? What techniques/tools/resources have you found to be particularly crucial in your understanding of all of this? Any important tips you would want to pass on to newcomers to internalize everything needed?

I'll start: create a main folder of bookmarks (not in your browser) of important links of documentation and resources. Organize them in alphabetical order, as well as in subfolders (since there will be many), and carefully rename each bookmark. Only put good and important bookmarks (use an 'inbox' to process instead).
Dfrecore and others suggest using a spreadsheet, and it worked well for me. Especially if you already know how to sort them and set up your own columns (if not, good time to learn).

A calendar helped me a lot too. Even though the spreadsheet could be sorted by a date column, it helps to see it laid out week by week. Possibly with different colors for different categories, like CLEPs could be one color and TECEPs another.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • Muldoon, pws
Tip #2: You'll have long lists of bookmarked threads to read, the earlier you accept this, the better. Smile
Personally, I just use several different spreadsheets, with the most important one being my degree plan. It has several tabs, one for each degree (AS and BS) and another that I use to keep track of the courses I still need to take, along with a running credit total to show how close I am to being done.

In addition to the degree plan, I also have other spreadsheets that I use to track which courses are available from different providers and how they are expected to be evaluated at my school. I used this to help plan out where I want to take each course. I also refer back to it to adjust my course as new options appear and old ones change or disappear.

When I first started, and again when I came back after a hiatus, I spent at least a month reading through the current forum posts and searching the archives for information relative to my educational goals. This was invaluable and reduced the number of questions I needed to ask while creating my own degree plan.

As for bookmarks, I also maintain a list of education bookmarks, but those are mainly for educational resources I don't want to lose track of. I haven't really bookmarked any threads. I find it easier to just do a search if I need to reference old threads. Smile

Honestly, the best reference sources are the folks here on the forum. If you have questions that you can't find the answers to on your own, ask on the forum and we'll try to help as best we can.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon, pws
I have about four gajillion spreadsheets

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Muldoon
Spreadsheets (of course), word doc of course providers with links to their websites, a folder on my desktop for any new stuff I need, and I periodically organize as needed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon, pws
Spreadsheets are awesome for this. I also save info as PDF/Word files and save them into folders sorted by school/provider, for the times I know what I need to look up but don't feel like searching through the website or my bookmarks.

I also created a school Trello board, with separate lists that are color-coded by provider, where I broke down every single individual step I need to take for each course (such as, "Get TESU pre-approval," "Register for course," "Take exam", etc.). Seeing little tasks helps it feel more manageable. Then, as I complete things, I move them into the DONE list.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • pws
I used Evernote. It was especially handy during my Capstone as I could write my own notes and embed complete PDF source documents. However, the free version has gotten more and more restrictive and I stopped using it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-15-2018, 11:29 AM)davewill Wrote: I used Evernote. It was especially handy during my Capstone as I could write my own notes and embed complete PDF source documents. However, the free version has gotten more and more restrictive and I stopped using it.

Evernote is my usual go to, but I am using OneNote to keep my capstone organized and doing the same types of things. Like you, I found Evernote too restrictive. OneNote is included in my Office 365 subscription, so I figured I might as well take advantage of it.

Speaking of office 365, if you don't have it already, and you're enrolled as a student somewhere, you can get Office 365 for free through most schools. Though it's pretty cheap even without that, particularly if you're sharing it with a family and spreading the costs. Either way, you'll want Word and Excel at least, those are quite handy with all the projects and academic writing needed in the UL courses. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-15-2018, 04:20 PM)Merlin Wrote: Speaking of office 365, if you don't have it already, and you're enrolled as a student somewhere, you can get Office 365 for free through most schools. Though it's pretty cheap even without that, particularly if you're sharing it with a family and spreading the costs. Either way, you'll want Word and Excel at least, those are quite handy with all the projects and academic writing needed in the UL courses. Smile

That made me think (although not directly related to the thread topic), when studying, you can get educational pricing/student discounts for software and material. Some have this on their website, but some you need to send the company an email.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 27,566 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Tips on How to Get Straight A’s in College LevelUP 19 4,064 05-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 477 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Anyone Have Any Tips for Searching for College News? LevelUP 0 412 12-19-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Suggestions for Certifications to use up Personal Development Funds mohelena02 12 1,492 06-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  5 Interviewing Tips From an Amazon Applicant Who Jeff Bezos Hired on the Spot LevelUP 4 972 03-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Suggestions for (fast, inexpensive) ways to boost GPA studyingfortests 10 2,206 09-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  AP2 Need tips 2L8 1 738 04-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Last Post: udi
  Computer Degree Suggestions at any of the Big 3? JWells247 10 2,468 11-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Any suggestions for Ethics ChilliDawg 16 4,607 10-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: TwinMom