Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting It All Together—Suggestions/Tips
(11-15-2018, 04:20 PM)Merlin Wrote: ... Speaking of office 365, if you don't have it already, and you're enrolled as a student somewhere, you can get Office 365 for free through most schools. Though it's pretty cheap even without that, particularly if you're sharing it with a family and spreading the costs. Either way, you'll want Word and Excel at least, those are quite handy with all the projects and academic writing needed in the UL courses. Smile

I was quite successful using LibreOffice for all of my schoolwork. I will note that I didn't have to deal with group projects, just had to export PDFs or MS Office files to turn in.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-15-2018, 05:22 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 04:20 PM)Merlin Wrote: ... Speaking of office 365, if you don't have it already, and you're enrolled as a student somewhere, you can get Office 365 for free through most schools. Though it's pretty cheap even without that, particularly if you're sharing it with a family and spreading the costs. Either way, you'll want Word and Excel at least, those are quite handy with all the projects and academic writing needed in the UL courses. Smile

I was quite successful using LibreOffice for all of my schoolwork. I will note that I didn't have to deal with group projects, just had to export PDFs or MS Office files to turn in.

I also use Google docs to get a lot of that kind of stuff done. But IMO MS Office works better and is less likely to cause potential compatibility issues.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-15-2018, 05:32 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I also use Google docs to get a lot of that kind of stuff done. But IMO MS Office works better and is less likely to cause potential compatibility issues.

I used OpenOffice many years ago until I lost an entire paper.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-16-2018, 12:30 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 05:32 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I used OpenOffice many years ago until I lost an entire paper.

Yep. I prefer to avoid any potential issues. Losing a paper would blow hardcore. I know we have had people here on the forum complain about compatibility problems with documents exported from other applications to Word format too.

Considering that Office 365 is free (or can be for enrolled students, and less than $10/mo for anyone else) there is no reason not to use it, IMO.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Counterargument: some people use Linux/ChromeOS and don't have that option.

Although having recently gotten a Windows computer again because I needed it for school, I am SOOO glad to have Office back. Especially for free.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-16-2018, 07:58 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Counterargument: some people use Linux/ChromeOS and don't have that option.

Although having recently gotten a Windows computer again because I needed it for school, I am SOOO glad to have Office back. Especially for free.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

I have a Linux workstation as well, though it isn't my primary desktop system. However, when I need to, I have run Windows in a VM on that machine for specialized applications. Anyone savvy enough to use Linux as their primary desktop will more than likely have that ability, so Linux isn't really a stumbling block.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that there are maybe a handful of people this forum who use Linux or ChromeOS as their primary desktop OS. Usage statistics suggest that most people will be Windows users, a minority will be Mac users, and a tiny fraction will use something else.

Plus, Office is so much more polished than the open source options, as you suggest.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • alab21
Hard to read all this FUD. There are lots of reasons to pick one over the other, but I use LibreOffice all the time, and it is stable, full featured, and completely competent. Honestly, it has never given me a moment's trouble. There's certainly no danger of losing one's files.

I'm not going to tell anyone NOT to pick Office, but fear of the open version is not a good reason.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 25,788 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Tips on How to Get Straight A’s in College LevelUP 19 4,035 05-07-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 457 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Anyone Have Any Tips for Searching for College News? LevelUP 0 402 12-19-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Suggestions for Certifications to use up Personal Development Funds mohelena02 12 1,478 06-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  5 Interviewing Tips From an Amazon Applicant Who Jeff Bezos Hired on the Spot LevelUP 4 947 03-07-2022, 12:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Suggestions for (fast, inexpensive) ways to boost GPA studyingfortests 10 2,148 09-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  AP2 Need tips 2L8 1 731 04-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Last Post: udi
  Computer Degree Suggestions at any of the Big 3? JWells247 10 2,433 11-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Any suggestions for Ethics ChilliDawg 16 4,572 10-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: TwinMom