Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about TESU's ASNSM in Mathematics
Hi all,

TESU's ASNSM in mathematics requires 13 credits as "Mathematics Electives." Those must be courses above Calc 1, right?

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics

I am trying to decide if I want to do this degree. If those courses must be above Calc 1, I was thinking that I can do them through Westcott. My main concern is that I don't have any idea what the Westcott courses are like. There is no sample course, as far as I can tell. And online reviews aren't very descriptive. 

Thanks for any advice you have.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
I'm not sure, but I believe they can be any math courses at the 100 level and up. At least, that's the impression I got when I used the 'what if' function on tesu's academic evaluation system in the OSS.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
I recall reading on here that the What If function is inaccurate for the BA in Math because several math courses aren't accepted as part of the area of study (e.g. College Algebra, Precalculus). Not sure if it's the same for the ASNSM.

Assuming they do have to be above Calculus 1, here are some options:

Lots of providers for Calc 1, but according to their transfer page Study.com's comes in as six credits. Not sure if that's because it counts as Calc 1&2 or if it's just six credits of Calc 1, but it looks like it only comes in as Calc 1, so I'm guessing the three overflow credits would count in your math electives.

StraighterLine has Calc 2

Study.com's Geometry 101 comes in as MAT-260, so above Calculus 1.

Study.com has Discrete Math, which doesn't have an official equivalency listed since it's a new class, but my guess is MAT-270, since that's what TESU's Discrete Math is.

I believe Coopersmith has an UL math class. Not sure of equivalency, but could be an option.

Statistics classes come in with a different prefix (usually STA-201), but they might count as well, given that Statistics is a requirement for TESU's BA in Math.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
For the ASNSM, any 100 to 200 Level Math will work, such as SL Calculus I & II, you can take a 200 Level Geometry course from Study.com and so on as long as it’s transferable. The BA is a different beast that requires 300-400 Level Math. Here is what TESU has for Math https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php Hope this helps...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • mysonx3, tesu-acct-student
(10-30-2018, 11:42 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For the ASNSM, any 100 to 200 Level Math will work, such as SL Calculus I & II, you can take a 200 Level Geometry course from Study.com and so on as long as it’s transferable. The BA is a different beast that requires 300-400 Level Math. Here is what TESU has for Math https://www2.tesu.edu/listall.php Hope this helps...

Good info. I have a knack for math and have been thinking about trying to get some sort of credential in it en route to my History degree, but the BA area of study might be just out of my reach (not enough UL out there from non-traditional sources). I'll have to look at the ASNSM.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
For the ASNSM in Math these are the courses I am using:

Study.com

Discrete Math 3
Geometry 3

Aleks
Intermmediate Algebra 3
Trigonometry 3

Straighterline
Stratistics 3
Calculus I 4
Calculus II 4

Sophia
College Algebra
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • Pikachu, tesu-acct-student
(10-30-2018, 11:14 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: Hi all,

TESU's ASNSM in mathematics requires 13 credits as "Mathematics Electives." Those must be courses above Calc 1, right?

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/asnsm/mathematics

I am trying to decide if I want to do this degree. If those courses must be above Calc 1, I was thinking that I can do them through Westcott. My main concern is that I don't have any idea what the Westcott courses are like. There is no sample course, as far as I can tell. And online reviews aren't very descriptive. 

Thanks for any advice you have.

Calculus I is the highest level course you need for the ASNSM in Mathematics - it is its only fixed course requirement. It is an associate level degree, so no UL math required.  Higher level math courses will work, but you can bring in your other 13 credits of math electives from any area - such as College Algebra, Statistics, Liberal Arts Mathematics, etc.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
I am surprised to see that the courses below Calc 1 qualify as electives in that area, as that is not the case with AS degrees in math from other institutions that I looked at. I have College Algebra, Statistics, and Liberal Arts math already on my transcript.

I've sent an email to TESU for verification and will post the response here. Thanks for all the replies.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Yep the ASNSM degrees accept anything. Like the Comp Sci accepts many IT courses as Comp Sci
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
(10-30-2018, 11:28 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Lots of providers for Calc 1, but according to their transfer page Study.com's comes in as six credits. Not sure if that's because it counts as Calc 1&2 or if it's just six credits of Calc 1, but it looks like it only comes in as Calc 1, so I'm guessing the three overflow credits would count in your math electives.

I can confirm that SDC calc only counts as Calc 1. But it is 6 credits total, so there's no reason they can't overflow those credits to the electives section.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,486 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 595 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 495 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 518 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,241 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 272 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,320 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 398 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 540 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM