Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about College Algebra CLEP
Hi all,

I'm going to take this test in a couple weeks. Been studying for it a lot. Printed College Board's description of the test and have been watching Youtube videos on each of the topics. I have a couple questions.

1. I started using the IC flashcards tonight. What is the consensus here regarding their accuracy for this test?
2. I've seen a lot of people here mention Peterson's practice tests for this CLEP. Went to Amazon and couldn't find it. Is there really a Peterson's for CLEP College Algebra? I found the one for College Mathematics, but not College Algebra. If somebody could post a link to Amazon, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
Another free way to study for it is Khan Academy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I took the college algebra on dec 30, 2015 (just in time for new year's day). I scored a 59, made several guesses toward the end of the test. I did not have enough time and seriously guessed about 20 questions in a 2 min period. I did study using IC college algebra exclusively: what I would encourage you to focus on is speed as you work the flashcards not just accuracy. Also, I do not exactly attribute my pass to IC but consider it more of a miracle. If you took Saxon math in high school beyond Geometry (where I stopped), I would say review that as a very strong resource to pass the test.
What kind of background do you have in math: college algebra questions are not bizarrely difficult.
Best wishes.
tesu-acct-student Wrote:Hi all,

2. I've seen a lot of people here mention Peterson's practice tests for this CLEP. Went to Amazon and couldn't find it. Is there really a Peterson's for CLEP College Algebra? I found the one for College Mathematics, but not College Algebra. If somebody could post a link to Amazon, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'm not sure you can get this from Amazon. Here's a link to the tests:

https://www.petersons.com/college-search...-test.aspx
jgbenjamin Wrote:.. what I would encourage you to focus on is speed as you work the flashcards not just accuracy.

Great tip.

Quote:Also, I do not exactly attribute my pass to IC but consider it more of a miracle. If you took Saxon math in high school beyond Geometry (where I stopped), I would say review that as a very strong resource to pass the test. What kind of background do you have in math: college algebra questions are not bizarrely difficult. Best wishes.

I am not math phobic. Had math through Algebra II in high school (30 years ago). About four years ago I took MAT-105 at TESU (Applied Liberal Arts Math). Right now I am taking a course at a local CC; it is the prereq for College Algebra at that school. My original plan was to take it there, and I might continue with that plan if I don't pass the CLEP.

Regarding IC: I've gone through about 20 questions each of the first three sections (factoring, exponents, log) and to be honest they seemed too easy to be College Algebra. I sincerely hope I am wrong about that! I anticipated questions that would be a lot harder but maybe my expectations are out of whack. Do you remember if the other sections harder?

I know that there is variation in test difficulty--might this explain why some think IC is adequate and others do not? Maybe the ones who think it is adequate got an easier test, while the ones who think it is not adequate got a harder test.

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
wombat777 Wrote:I'm not sure you can get this from Amazon. Here's a link to the tests:

https://www.petersons.com/college-search...-test.aspx

Thanks for this!

Hi tesu-acct-student,
YESSS; I vividly remember the sections on circles, parabolas were much more difficult. You are not wrong about anything.
The first three sections I went through twice or either once and I was greeted by, "EXCELLENT YOU'RE SHOWING MASTERY OF THIS..." I was elated. The very last section was easier too (not as easy as the first).
I had the most difficulty on the 5th and 6th sections especially the things about infinity and such. Oh, I do want to warn you a few of the questions in that "difficult" arena are inaccurately or nitpickingly (for want of better word, not criticizing IC) figured: so don't worry if the box shows red. On the actual CLEP test (at least the one I took 3 months ago) your format of answering is decided for you by multiple choice. In other words if you entered 4<n<6 and IC entered 6>n>4 IGNORE that-- YOU ARE STILL RIGHT!
My sincerely best wishes,
jgbenjamin
P.S. If I missed any of your questions pls let me know and I'll be very happy to give more info/ clarify.
jgbenjamin Wrote:... On the actual CLEP test (at least the one I took 3 months ago) your format of answering is decided for you by multiple choice. In other words if you entered 4<n<6 and IC entered 6>n>4 IGNORE that-- YOU ARE STILL RIGHT!
I found that true in all of the IC cards I used (Sociology, Anthropology, Astronomy, and Personal Finance). Occasionally I would answer something correctly, but it would be slightly different than the wording they were looking for.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
How does the actual test compare in difficulty to the Peterson's practice tests? TIA
wombat777 Wrote:How does the actual test compare in difficulty to the Peterson's practice tests? TIA

My son took this test without the answer to my question above, but I'm sharing our experience for future test-takers.

He found this to be one of the few times where the Peterson's practice tests were actually easier than the actual test. His score on the actual exam was about 10 points lower than his Peterson's scores.

Prior to taking the test, he also took the practice test in the Official CLEP guide. His score on the actual test was almost identical to his score on the practice exam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,531 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,924 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 229 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 727 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP