Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quickest route to a Bachelor's Degree?
Hi all,
I am 21 years old and in the past 4 years of going to school on and off I have managed 80 credit hours at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, credits that initially went toward pre-pharmacy (science/math/gen ed) then some focused towards Elementary Education (ed. psych and others geared toward education) because I felt teaching would be my calling. So 4 yrs and only a little over half the credits needed to graduate with a teaching degree I decided it would be best (time/money) to finish a degree online and perhaps get a teaching certificate afterwards.

I found out about the 'Big Three' just recently and was wondering if anyone has completed any bachelor's degree programs at these schools that would allow me to test out for the majority if not all of required courses?
Do you know which degree you'd like to pursue? If you can post some of the credits you've already taken, then perhaps we can help you form a degree plan. It is very possible to finish your degree with one of the big three. I think you can do it very fast, if you're coming in with 80 credits. I'd suggest doing a Liberal arts degree, if you wanna go for a career in education. You wanna get your BA degree out of the way, so that you can get started on a Master's degree. Unless you want to teach at a K-12 level, I think you will need a master's degree or a PHD. However, I could be wrong, so someone will probably come through and correct me. How many of your credits are upper level?
Hi nonkoo,
Welcome to the board. You will get plenty of input by the end of the day, so check back. Many here have either or completed or are in the process of completing degrees through the "Big 3". TESC offers a BA Natural Science/Math degree that could work if some of those pre-pharmacy credits can come in at the Upper Level. If you can post your credits earned, that would help.

Thomas Edison State College | BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics Credit Distribution

Good luck whatever you decide!
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
BIOLOGY: 4 credits
General Biology
General Biology Lab

Intro to Ceramics: 3 credits

General Chemistry I: 4 Credits

Fundamental of Human comm: 3 Credits

EDUCATION PSYCHOLOGY: 9 Credits
Human Development & Family
Intro Human Relation
Learning in Classroom

ENGLISH: 12 Credits
Writing Rhetoric
Rhetoric as Argument
African American Lit
Wring Communities

Aerobics I: 1 Credits

Geography World Regions: 3 Credits

America to 1877: 3 Credits

Intro Library:1 Credits

MATH: 8 Credits
Calculus I
Contemporary Math

Intro to Philosophy: 3 Credits

PHYSICS: 4 Credits
Atoms & Fields
Physical Science: Inquiry

Intro to Psychology: 4 Credits

Intro to Sociology: 3 Credits

TEACHING COURSES: 12 Credits
Instructional Tech
Professional Practicum experience II: Elementary Ed
Multicultural Education
School & Society
Heath & Wellness:Elementary School

Intro to Theatre: 3 credits

These are the classes that I've taken at UNL, I guess the bulk of them can be considered Gen ed since they were taken before I had to be knees deep in Pre-Pharmacy and prior to taking teaching related classes.
According to UNL's guidelines toward a teaching degree I have satisfied all gen eds/supplements and only need to take high level 'student teaching' sort of classes to complete my degree (about 40+ Credits i think)..but like I have mentioned..I have been strained financially and feel that it will take me another 3-4 years just to do what others can in about 2 or less Sad

thanks if I can receive advice to a quick/cheap Bachelor's degree, also..I intend on getting a Graduate degree later..so maybe I'll enlist in the military so they can help me pay for that..what are your thoughts of me doing that? so..pretty much my ultimate goal is to become a teacher (ESL, math, or science) so any combination of a bachelor and graduate degree that will allow me to teach would be great Smile
Quote:thanks if I can receive advice to a quick/cheap Bachelor's degree, also..I intend on getting a Graduate degree later..so maybe I'll enlist in the military so they can help me pay for that..what are your thoughts of me doing that? so..pretty much my ultimate goal is to become a teacher (ESL, math, or science) so any combination of a bachelor and graduate degree that will allow me to teach would be great

There are many military and ex-military on the board that can give you advice. I think your mix of classes is pretty wide open so at the very least you can easily do a BA Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State College | BA in Liberal Studies Credit Distribution

I know others will also give advice
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Hi and welcome. The problem will be having your teaching certification for your state. That usually is the hold up for being able to get a position teaching. Unless a school is in dire need and you are the only one applying for the job. Does your state have any alternative teaching certs? What do you want to teach? It all depends what you want to teach also. Take a look at your Dept of Educations website and see what they want. Believe me there several of us on the board right now trying to get this figured out. It is always easier becoming a teacher through a teaching degree then going in the other way.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
These are the classes that I've taken at UNL, I guess the bulk of them can be considered Gen ed since they were taken before I had to be knees deep in Pre-Pharmacy and prior to taking teaching related classes.
According to UNL's guidelines toward a teaching degree I have satisfied all gen eds/supplements and only need to take high level 'student teaching' sort of classes to complete my degree (about 40+ Credits i think)..but like I have mentioned..I have been strained financially and feel that it will take me another 3-4 years just to do what others can in about 2 or less Sad

thanks if I can receive advice to a quick/cheap Bachelor's degree, also..I intend on getting a Graduate degree later..so maybe I'll enlist in the military so they can help me pay for that..what are your thoughts of me doing that? so..pretty much my ultimate goal is to become a teacher (ESL, math, or science) so any combination of a bachelor and graduate degree that will allow me to teach would be great Smile[/QUOTE]

Sorry I just read this part. I know in my state they have a teaching conversion cert for math and science educators. Also I have seen several ESL certs that are by themselves or in a combo with a masters. You should be in fairly good shape. Just make sure you find a cert that your state will take. I'm with Geezer look into TESC Natural Science and Math.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Thanks everyone, I will do some more research in regards to possible post-baccalaureate programs that will grant teaching certificates in Nebraska when the time arrives. For now I will take a closer into the bachelor programs you all have suggested.
TESC will sometimes grant UL level credit for courses you may think are lower level. They have a course list here Thomas Edison State College/ Semester List

and a database lookup here (especially for the Educ classes) Thomas Edison State College/ Prior Learning Assessment Description Database

The BA's have 27 FREE ELECTIVES, so the only real challenge for you is the 18 credit UL requirement.

There are TECEP exams and Excelsior exams that can be taken to fulfill some of those.

Bottom line: with 80 credits done you can earn a degree fairly easily
great info, Thanks Geezer.
I guess everything will be a little easier to comprehend once I settle on a specific degree and apply so I can see what else I have left to take.

I'm leaning towards attempting a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics with a concentration in math.

just curious..is it possible to do any kind of a double BA? ex. BA in NS/M AND Foreign Language?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,277 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,913 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,434 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,721 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,994 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,816 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,130 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,006 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,376 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,747 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero