Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate your Test Center
I recently had a disasterous run in with a test center which made me realize how lucky I was to have the one at my main campus. Since I have procrastenated taking these exams, and February 1st was my absolute final day for taking an exam, if I wanted to graduate this Spring, the misstep by the test center could very well cost me the chance to walk in May. On that note, I thought many of you may have several testing center options in your area and wonder which one is best for you. So here's my review of the two I actually tested at:

St. Edwards University, Austin, TX
Proctor: Bisola

Pros: Proctor has all tests pre-loaded, walk in, sit down and test. This girl knows her stuff.
Cons: Only offers exams on Fridays @ 3pm and Saturdays @ 10am by appointment only. Saturday appointments fill up early.
Fees: $40 test center fee + cost of exam

Strayer University, North Austin, TX
Proctor: Jennifer Jones

Pros: Very flexible on available test times. Will allow testing until 10pm on Monday thru Thursday
Cons: Proctor had alot of trouble getting test to load up. I had to leave twice because she was unable to get the test to load. This proctor was nice enough, but may lack the experience due to low volume of testing done at this location.
Fees: $20 test center fee + cost of exam
I love this idea. Going into a testing center where the staff is kind and know what they're doing can make ALL the difference for a nervous tester. Lol.. I wish there were some way to put our comments on an interactive map

Denver area:

Regis Testing Center:
Pros: They're good, know what they're doing and are very pleasant to work with.
Cons: You have to schedule with them 5 business days before hand or you're out of luck. Also, they're expensive at 35 bucks for proctor fees.

Aurora Community College:
Pros: Easy to schedule - you just call and go. Every once in a while, they're booked, so I've started calling to schedule a day or two in advance, just so I can make sure I get a time I like.
They're teenager-friendly. For some home-schoolers, it's a big issue finding a testing center that will allow them to test without hassle. Not only are these guys nice to my DS, they've commented on how lucky he is knowing about CLEP/DSST at his age.
They've got a 25 dollar proctor fee.
Cons: They're not polished professionals like the Regis people. Depending on who is at the library, they may bumble around a little bit with the computer, but that's really the only con. They're great.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Every military base I've tested at was easy... walk in, show ID, sign paper, take test.
Strayer University, Polaris campus Columbus Ohio
Proctor: I forget her name, but we were on a first name basis last year!

Pros: Wonderfully nice proctor lady, she was a dear (and took her job very seriously!) a bunch of computers, very clean and professional, was fine with teenagers testing, weren't booked up on testing times, actually got back to you on the phone. Always had the tests set up and ready to go when I got there. Had a nice little waiting area if someone brought you, with reading materials and everything.
Cons: Only offers tests once a week (Fri mornings if I recall?), at 9 I think. Other than that I was thrilled with the center (hence why I took every single exam with them)
Fees: $20 test center fee + cost of exam

ETA:
the list of centers that never got back to me about scheduling:
DeVry U Columbus Ohio
Ohio State University
Mount Vernon Nazarene University
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
PonyGirl93 Wrote:Strayer University, Polaris campus Columbus Ohio
Proctor: I forget her name, but we were on a first name basis last year!

So much for elaborative rehearsal! Confusedmilelol:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
NJ/ PA testing centers

Raritan Valley CC North Branch, NJ
Pros: Very flexible testing times and days Just call ahead
Cons: Long walk from parking, Expensive, computers were old and difficult. Proctor seemed to know her stuff.
Fees: $40 testing center fee + cost of test.

NOTE: This center recently under went some upgrading. Now has computerized DSST. I will see how things are tomorrow.

Mercer County CC West Windsor Campus
Pros: Flexible times and days just call ahead. Large facility, Nice computers. Proctor was friendly and efficient
Cons: Poor parking availability, hard to find building
Fees: $25 + cost of test

Northampton CC Easton, PA
Pros:Nice quiet testing center, comfortable closed off testing desk, new good computers, easily available restroom. Fiendly knowledgeable proctors. Good Price
Cons: They do not do DSST test.
Fees: $15 + cost of test

Has any one used a test center in the Port Charlotte area of Florida? I will be there for 2 weeks and might want to do a CLEP?
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
ShotoJuku Wrote:So much for elaborative rehearsal! Confusedmilelol:
:ack: My short term recall is excellent Confusedmilelol:
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Trevecca Nazarene University in Nashville, TN.
LOVE This place! 'course, I've never been anywhere else. :p

Pros: Staff wonderfully encouraging, friendly, and knowledgeable. I always try to call a day ahead, and I'm usually able to get in right when I want. When I've called and the proctor's been out, she usually calls me back w/in 24 hrs (I usually wish for something sooner, but at least she calls...). She knows my voice when I call; I never have to give her my name! They have a coffee shop and a nice sitting area right around the corner from the room I test in; very nice for parents/siblings who come along.

Cons: It's 1.5 hrs away from where I live; not their fault, of course. The computer once crashed on me as I was beginning a DSST, but it had never done that before, and hasn't since. The biggest one, imo, is that they don't give tests after 2pm on Fridays. Sad Also, there's not an abundance of parking, at least while school's in.

Fee: $20
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
I've tested 3 different places. No, 4.

Harrisburg Area Community College -Gettysburg Campus

I like this one a lot. Very nice test center, quiet, with a big window where the proctor can see you (but they don't stare at you the whole time). They put plenty of space between you and the next person. They know what they're doing and we're on a first-name basis. ("Hi Amanda." "Hi, Careena, how are you?" "A little nervous." "Oh, you'll do fine. We've never had any one take this test before, you'll have to let us know how it is. Good luck.") The most terrible-est part ever is that they only test the first Thursday of the month and the third Tuesday at specific times, and only take 2 at a time (they have 3 CLEP computers but they try to keep one empty in case there's a problem). I'm fortunate this semester, my schedule works out perfectly. But they don't do DSSTs, which is also sad.

Harrisburg Area Community College -Harrisburg Campus

This is where I take my DSSTs. It's an ok, quiet test center, but they do put you right next to somebody else testing, even if they're taking something else. (Leaning over: "So, what are you taking?") All the computers are against a concrete wall, and I have myopic eyes, so focusing on a computer screen, or a wall a foot behind it, is hard on them after about 45 minutes, much less 2 hours. It is a long way for me to drive, and I hate driving through Harrisburg. Plus, they have you pay the proctor fee ($20) over the phone by credit card, which is a personal pet peeve of mine, b/c I hate listing all those numbers over the phone, and I like to pay cash. But they do let you take a test almost any time.

Penn State -York Campus

I tested there once and hated it. Besides the fact that it was a $25 proctor fee and I was basically given a test day a week after my class ended, the test "center" was a corner of their computer lab on the proctor's laptop. There were 3 ladies on the other side of the room talking about muffins and some student was crying to somebody else. The computer lost connection halfway through the test and they had to get somebody down from IT to fix it. He couldn't fix it, so they called College Board and they talked him through how to reconnect it. That was nerve-wracking. I sat around for 20 minutes waiting for them to fix it, and when they did, I was done in 10 minutes. A similar episode happened when my sister went there.

Verity Institute -Indianapolis

Obviously, this is the one I like best. Bethany is professional, she knows what she's doing, and I tested with 25 of my friends and classmates, while the rest of them prayed and waited in the hall for us. Before we went in, Bethany prayed for us and those not testing formed a line and gave hugs and high fives as we went in. When we came out, they were there to congratulate those who passed and encourage those who didn't. It's too bad it's an 8 hour drive from my house. But it's a social thing, and I'm a social person.

On a scale of 1-5, I rate them, in above order, as 4, 3, 1, and 5.

CE
I've tested at Verity Institute as well, and it's a great testing center. However, I usually tested at UIndy, which is closer to my house.

Test Center: University of Indianapolis - School for Adult Learning

Services available: CLEP and DSST (computer based), TECEP, AP, etc. [They do not proctor Excelsior exams, nor did they proctor the midterm for my TESC guided study class.]

Proctoring fee: $15 (cash only)

Test times: Normally Mon.-Wed. 11am-5pm; Thurs. 11-3:30; Fri. 10-2:30. (You may begin your exam within these time limits.) Summer schedule varies. No weekend testing.

Testing calendar: School for Adult Learning (SAL) at the University of Indianapolis

Facility: Very nice, new, clean facilities.

Other comments: No scheduling required (walk-in based). Hardly ever any waiting. Each test taker gets an individual room to himself. There is free parking in the lot behind the building or in the nearby library lot.

Overall, I am very happy with this testing center!
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Speed Reading Test. NOBODY Can Pass Level 10 LevelUP 0 489 04-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Do You Have ADHD? Here's A Test LevelUP 7 763 02-08-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,081 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  Problems posting test scores sparky134 0 538 05-25-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: sparky134
  Physics GRE Subject Test Does Not Predict PhD Completion sanantone 10 2,137 02-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,902 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  DSST Test center open on Sundays in Maryland subhuman 0 1,087 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: subhuman
  Saturday Test Center in MD? subhuman 1 1,042 03-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  Call Center Opinions? videogamesrock 10 1,747 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  "U.S. millennials post ‘abysmal’ scores in tech skills test, lag behind foreign peers lavagirl 30 5,129 03-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Prloko