Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent Changes That Affect Your Eligibility for a 2012-2013 Federal Pell Grant
So I've found this fourm about 1 year ago. Took some time off to have twins. So finishing up my last 3cr hours this summer. Ive been working on my BA since 2002 on and off. More off than on, lol. Anyhow, I did my FAFSA so I could take a BA cert at APU in infant education. Well since I wouldn't have a BA until August officially, I had to do undergrad FAFSA for 2012-2013. Well I got this email today.

"
Dear Alecia:

We want to alert you to a recent change in the law that affects your Federal Pell Grant award for the 2012-2013 school year and beyond. *This change limits the total number of years a student may receive a Pell Grant to the equivalent of six years.

Based on our records, you have already received at least six years of Pell Grant funding. *This means that you are no longer eligible to receive Pell Grant funding, starting with the 2012-2013 school year. *Note that you still may be eligible for other federal, state, and school financial aid.

For information on how we calculate the "equivalent of six years" click on the following link: FSA Portals.

If you have questions about the information in this e-mail, please contact your school's financial aid office.

Federal Student Aid
U.S. Department of Education

:mad:

Do you know what this will do to the adult learner? They will have to drop out or take out loans. Which is going to make the federal student loan debt increase tremendously. This majorly sucks!!! Thank God I will be done before this goes into affect. But this is even more motivation for me to share all the wonderful information I've learned with others.
They messed me up by changing the income limits for the Pell Grant. They reduced the limit which you need to be under to receive the full amount so even though I made less money than last year, my Pell Grant went down quite a bit.

Here is the link to what you were talking about:
Student Aid on the Web

Since I didn't use any aid when I first started college I appear to be at 187.495% of the 600% (six year) limit. The site above gives a link to check your percentage and says it isn't available until June but mine worked. Check out National Student Loan Data System for Students

Once you login it should show you a list of grant years and schools attended and give you that percentage. For anyone who hasn't done their FAFSA yet I'd urge you to do it ASAP to know whether you are affected by the percentage limit or the reduced income limit (which I think changed from $32,000 to $21,000). I think they just had too many people out of work using the aid programs and they needed to restructure it.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I'm not going to be very popular for this, but I think this is great! They should also lower the lifetime limit for loans. This would force schools to lower their tuition rates and stop students from taking advantage of the system just to whine later that they have too much debt. I don't know if I took out 6 years worth of Pell Grants, but I have to admit that I took longer to finish school than I should have as an immature, young adult because I knew funding would always be there.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Third party payment systems have a real bad way of driving costs and demand way up. I think you're right, with students having to bear some costs out of pocket, maybe tuition and book prices will go back to equilibrium.

sanantone Wrote:I'm not going to be very popular for this, but I think this is great! They should also lower the lifetime limit for loans. This would force schools to lower their tuition rates and stop students from taking advantage of the system just to whine later that they have too much debt. I don't know if I took out 6 years worth of Pell Grants, but I have to admit that I took longer to finish school than I should have as an immature, young adult because I knew funding would always be there.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 744 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,538 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 763 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Citing Concern for Free Speech, 12 Federal Judges Won’t Take Clerks from Yale Law LevelUP 7 1,256 10-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Short-term Pell for online? Alpha 11 1,050 06-30-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Defense Acquisition University or free UL & LL ACE for federal & contractor tpowell 6 1,493 09-13-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Clarification on how Pell Grant works? OP88 2 701 05-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Last Post: OP88
  PSA Apply for FAFSA/Pell Grant Now ashkir 0 641 01-18-2021, 09:21 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Fafsa Pell Grant Giantzebra 3 748 11-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Best use of a Pell Grant amomwholearns 3 1,004 08-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Last Post: hsfamfun