Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer 10 Year old Credits?
New member here and very impressed with the wealth of information.  My situation and then I have a question.

I have worked in Law Enforcement for 29+ years and have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice from my local State University.  I took 10 online graduate level courses in 2012-2014 when I was pursuing a Masters in Criminal Justice Management, but had to stop short when life got busy.  I have a lot more time now, so interested in getting a Masters.  

My research here has shown that many schools accept transfer credit, but does any accredited school accept transfer credit that is almost 10 years old?  The original school I went to, wants me to start pretty much from scratch.  If I had to start from scratch I would get a Masters in another subject (sports coaching related) but if I can get some old units to transfer I will complete mt CJ Masters and then look for Coaching classes or a certificate program.  

So bottom line, will anyone let me transfer in some of my Grad Units from 2012-

Thanks !
There are a few schools that you may want to see if they will accept those credits or not, I suggest the Competency Based providers, my recommendation is Walden as they have a MS in CJ and that's on the Tempo Learning system.  If you have the energy, time to complete assignments/assessments, they may be your best bet, inquire with them as they currently have a "discount special on tuition".  I would take some time to see what other offerings are available from this link:  https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, johnca
American public university takes transfer credits up to 10 years
Liberty university also takes credits up to 10 years
I would advise acting fast don’t want your credits to expire. Get them evaluated to see what they will accept
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • johnca
Thanks bj for the link! Researching now.

newdegree, that for the tip on Liberty. I see that they also have a first responder discount. I will reach out to them tomorrow to start the process of evaluating my credit. You also mentioned APU, and I sent my transcripts to AMU earlier today for evaluation. We shall see what they say.
If there are any age limits for social science transfer credits, it will usually be 10 years. People usually have to worry about age limits for science, healthcare, IT, and computer science courses. If you apply now, you should be able to transfer those credits almost anywhere that accepts transfer credits, but it all depends on whether those courses are considered equivalent to what they require in their curriculum.

I know you said you earned your bachelor's from a state school. Were the graduate courses from a regionally accredited school?

Heads up, Liberty University can be very picky because they often have Christian themes in non-seminary courses. For example, they might not accept a psychology course from another school because it wasn't taught from the Christian worldview.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • johnca
Yes, my Grad Units are from another RA state university. Thanks for the heads up on Liberty.

So far my credits have been denied at Concordia - St Paul, Texas A&M Commerce, and one more that is slipping my mind but have listed in my notes at work. All quoted a 5-year limit on Grad transfer credit.

Right now AMU and Liberty have my unofficial transcripts and work related certification for an unofficial evaluation. I have all of my paperwork ready to go, so I'm eager to send it to other schools for evaluation.
(08-09-2022, 09:39 PM)johnca Wrote: New member here and very impressed with the wealth of information.  My situation and then I have a question.

I have worked in Law Enforcement for 29+ years and have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice from my local State University.  I took 10 online graduate level courses in 2012-2014 when I was pursuing a Masters in Criminal Justice Management, but had to stop short when life got busy.  I have a lot more time now, so interested in getting a Masters.  

My research here has shown that many schools accept transfer credit, but does any accredited school accept transfer credit that is almost 10 years old?  The original school I went to, wants me to start pretty much from scratch.  If I had to start from scratch I would get a Masters in another subject (sports coaching related) but if I can get some old units to transfer I will complete mt CJ Masters and then look for Coaching classes or a certificate program.  

So bottom line, will anyone let me transfer in some of my Grad Units from 2012-

Thanks !

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure about grad credit transfer. I would check around.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-10-2022, 07:42 PM)johnca Wrote: Yes, my Grad Units are from another RA state university.  Thanks for the heads up on Liberty.

So far my credits have been denied at Concordia - St Paul, Texas A&M Commerce, and one more that is slipping my mind but have listed in my notes at work.  All quoted a 5-year limit on Grad transfer credit.  

Right now AMU and Liberty have my unofficial transcripts and work related certification for an unofficial evaluation.  I have all of my paperwork ready to go, so I'm eager to send it to other schools for evaluation.

Another potential place to apply is Purdue Global. They appear to be very flexible in accepting graduate transfer credits and even alternative sources of credits, such as certifications and ACE/NCCRS courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • johnca
A lot of master's programs don't even let you transfer in credit; but if they do, 5 years is as common as 10. Many schools have a 5 or 6 year policy on their own degrees - if you don't finish your master's within 5/6 years, you can't graduate. It's a lot harder than transferring for a bachelor's degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,926 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,683 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,037 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,794 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 408 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY Buffalo State : 15 credits transfer Msc Multidisciplinary Studies durain 6 1,113 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM
  ENEB transfer credit to Universidad Azteca/UCN and others Kalas 14 2,556 10-06-2023, 09:28 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Graduate transfer credits Aya 17 1,390 08-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Aya
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,895 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
  71 year old completes georgia tech online masters in analytics smartdegree 3 1,002 12-22-2022, 12:54 AM
Last Post: ifomonay