Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Referencing prior assignments in a course
I'm writing my final paper for SOS-110, and some of the prior assignments are basically preparing you for the final assignment. Since I'd like to use chunks of those prior essays in this one, am I supposed to cite and reference myself or can I just copy and paste parts of the prior assignments into this one, or am I supposed to reword things or what?
It doesn't mention anything about this in the final project guidelines, and I'd ask the mentor but I'm sure I'll get far quicker answers on here.
Thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ARhead's post:
  • BellaZuri
That’s correct. If you are using material from a prior submission, just cite yourself.  Quotes if you copy and paste, but it should be cited even if you paraphrase.

I know it feels self aggrandizing to cite yourself, but that is what they want to see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • ARhead
I'd ask your mentor. When I did that class, it was mostly copy and paste the previous assignments into final paper. I reworded and made the transitions better of course. But no, there was no need to cite myself within the same course for what was essentially draft into final. I did not lose any points. But always ask your mentor to be sure what is wanted.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • ARhead
(01-21-2021, 11:01 AM)ARhead Wrote: I'm writing my final paper for SOS-110, and some of the prior assignments are basically preparing you for the final assignment. Since I'd like to use chunks of those prior essays in this one, am I supposed to cite and reference myself or can I just copy and paste parts of the prior assignments into this one, or am I supposed to reword things or what?
It doesn't mention anything about this in the final project guidelines, and I'd ask the mentor but I'm sure I'll get far quicker answers on here.
Thanks.

Yes, I was thinking I might be falling into a trap.

They might say that you did plagiarism and now you are kicked out of the class.  Good news we're happy to take your money to retake the course again  Big Grin
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ARhead
Interesting, I had to submit a brand new final paper topic for approval that, aside from the annotated bibliography, has nothing to do with the written assigments. I wonder if that is mentor specific.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigrivergroup's post:
  • ARhead
btw anyone have any luck with submitting their papers to the free online tutoring?

I was confused when they asked me to select only 2 things to get help on the paper.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ARhead
[quote='LevelUP' pid='327932' dateline='1611265553']
btw anyone have any luck with submitting their papers to the free online tutoring?

I was confused when they asked me to select only 2 things to get help on the paper.
[/quo

[-] The following 1 user Likes Dorothy44's post:
  • ARhead
(01-21-2021, 01:10 PM)P226mem Wrote: I'd ask your mentor. When I did that class, it was mostly copy and paste the previous assignments into final paper. I reworded and made the transitions better of course. But no, there was no need to cite myself within the same course for what was essentially draft into final. I did not lose any points.  But always ask your mentor to be sure what is wanted.

While you may get away with it, your earlier papers should have been entered into the plagiarism scanner when they were submitted. This means they will be matched against when the plagiarism check is run for any future papers that include the same text. Technically (and by this I mean according to standard academic rules) you are required to cite yourself if you quote from or paraphrase your own work in a later assignment. Yes, it sounds weird, but you can easily Google this to confirm.

They will usually let you off with a warning the first time, but you could see points deducted or a paper rejected for further violations.

If the assignments are part of the same class and they are expecting you to integrate them into the final work, then your instructor will be expecting this and you can disregard the note. But in almost every other case, this can create a problem for you. Particularly once you get into graduate-level courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ARhead
(01-22-2021, 06:44 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 01:10 PM)P226mem Wrote: I'd ask your mentor. When I did that class, it was mostly copy and paste the previous assignments into final paper. I reworded and made the transitions better of course. But no, there was no need to cite myself within the same course for what was essentially draft into final. I did not lose any points.  But always ask your mentor to be sure what is wanted.

While you may get away with it, your earlier papers should have been entered into the plagiarism scanner when they were submitted. This means they will be matched against when the plagiarism check is run for any future papers that include the same text. Technically (and by this I mean according to standard academic rules) you are required to cite yourself if you quote from or paraphrase your own work in a later assignment. Yes, it sounds weird, but you can easily Google this to confirm.

They will usually let you off with a warning the first time, but you could see points deducted or a paper rejected for further violations.

If the assignments are part of the same class and they are expecting you to integrate them into the final work, then your instructor will be expecting this and you can disregard the note. But in almost every other case, this can create a problem for you. Particularly once you get into graduate-level courses.

Completely agreeing with the general advice.  But to the specific course SOS110 mentioned by the OP...

In the section of SOS110 that I was in, we had info and lessons on self plagiarism and yes the assignments go through "Safe Assign" (the current plagiarism scanner in use at TESU. 

In my section, the last  paragraph is the case that applies. My mentor said the assignments were drafts of the final paper so we didn't need to do that and it was expected that they were to be part of the final work.   It was not the situation of "self plagiarism" at all where you turn in the same paper in different courses, or graduate work. It was the case of Draft into Final.  so, I don't agree that I "got away with anything".  I know I was terrified of it being self plagiarism but the mentor said no.

again, for the specific of SOS110, ask the mentor if they are drafts and if you need to cite yourself or not. It could vary by mentor if student is writing a draft into final product, or if different assignments. and for the general case, I do agree that a student needs to avoid self plagiarism.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • ARhead
Yeah, one of the things the last assignment asks you to write about is exactly what the second last assignment is about. I'm aware of the issue of self-plagiarism, it just seems in this case that wouldn't apply. The mentor has not got back to me yet. If I don't get a reply I'll just cite myself.

On another note, isn't this kind of how the capstone works (LIB-495)?....Isn't it the case that you write and submit parts of the final essay and they get marked and then you assemble the whole thing and submit it?....Or are the first number of written assignments about random other topics, and the final assignment is a completely separate thing?

LevelUP - I completely forgot about the tutoring.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU joins the ACE/Credly Prior Learning Network Pilot jch 5 992 12-02-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Capstone Do You Just Compile Assignments? utility 2 645 07-21-2021, 02:28 PM
Last Post: P226mem
  Prior Learning Assessment for Coopersmith Courses? badcookie 13 1,905 03-16-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: badcookie
  Prior to 2018 TEEX credits not allowed for ACE credit collegechick 3 818 11-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  ASNSM Prior Catalog Year Flelm 5 815 10-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Flelm
  TESU PLA-100-Intro Prior Learning Assessment vetvso 6 1,632 10-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Last Post: MNomadic