Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residency Waiver Fee
What is this?

Undergraduate students who enroll in the University and seek to earn only a certificate must earn at least 50% of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings and you have 6 semester hours left to be completed, to fulfill that requirement. Another option is to pay a $1,250 certificate residency waiver fee in lieu of taking the 6 semester hours.

In lieu of means in place of... so, does that mean I pay $1250 instead of paying for 6 credits?

I'm confused.

You have been audited for a Certificate in Electronics. You currently need 7 s.h. in Electives to fulfill your degree requirements. Undergraduate students who enroll in the University and seek to earn only a certificate must earn at least 50% of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings and you have 6 semester hours left to be completed, to fulfill that requirement. Another option is to pay a $1,250 certificate residency waiver fee in lieu of taking the 6 semester hours. If you would like to pay the certificate residency waiver fee please contact the Office of Student Financial Accounts at (609) 984-4099. Your file will automatically be reviewed again for September 2020 Graduation.

I don't understand the lingo.
(07-27-2020, 02:04 AM)AmIaPsycho Wrote: What is this?

Undergraduate students who enroll in the University and seek to earn only a certificate must earn at least 50% of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings and you have 6 semester hours left to be completed, to fulfill that requirement. Another option is to pay a $1,250 certificate residency waiver fee in lieu of taking the 6 semester hours.

In lieu of means in place of... so, does that mean I pay $1250 instead of paying for 6 credits?

I'm confused.

You have been audited for a Certificate in Electronics. You currently need 7 s.h. in Electives to fulfill your degree requirements. Undergraduate students who enroll in the University and seek to earn only a certificate must earn at least 50% of the credits for the certificate through TESU credit offerings and you have 6 semester hours left to be completed, to fulfill that requirement. Another option is to pay a $1,250 certificate residency waiver fee in lieu of taking the 6 semester hours. If you would like to pay the certificate residency waiver fee please contact the Office of Student Financial Accounts at (609) 984-4099. Your file will automatically be reviewed again for September 2020 Graduation.

This basically means if you're attending TESU with the intention to only earn a certificate and not a full degree, then 50% of the credits required for that certificate must come from courses you take directly from TESU. This is called a residency requirement. TESU does offer a way to avoid having to meet that residency requirement.. it is called a residency waiver fee. That fee is $1,250 for certificates. If you pay the residency waiver fee, you can avoid taking any additional courses at TESU to meet the certificate residency requirements. This means you can transfer in most (or all) credits required to complete the certificate.

That said, if you want to earn a certificate alongside an actual degree, you won't have to worry about any of this. If you meet the residency requirement for a degree (or you pay the degree residency waiver fee) that will cover all certificates you earn along with it. Just keep in mind that the certificate and all degrees will be awarded at the same time.

Does that help clarify things for you?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • StoicJ
(07-27-2020, 04:56 AM)Merlin Wrote:

I'm confused.

This basically means if you're attending TESU with the intention to only earn a certificate and not a full degree, then 50% of the credits required for that certificate must come from courses you take directly from TESU. This is called a residency requirement. TESU does offer a way to avoid having to meet that residency requirement.. it is called a residency waiver fee. That fee is $1,250 for certificates. If you pay the residency waiver fee, you can avoid taking any additional courses at TESU to meet the certificate residency requirements. This means you can transfer in most (or all) credits required to complete the certificate.

That said, if you want to earn a certificate alongside an actual degree, you won't have to worry about any of this. If you meet the residency requirement for a degree (or you pay the degree residency waiver fee) that will cover all certificates you earn along with it. Just keep in mind that the certificate and all degrees will be awarded at the same time.

Haven't seen a thread of certificates that can be completed entirely with alternative credits (this with TESU), is it possible, has anyone done that? 
Study.com seems a great place to take courses, but wonder which certificate can be attained that way.
(07-27-2020, 08:04 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 04:56 AM)Merlin Wrote:

I'm confused.

Haven't seen a thread of certificates that can be completed entirely with alternative credits (this with TESU), is it possible, has anyone done that? 
Study.com seems a great place to take courses, but wonder which certificate can be attained that way.

They now have a $100 graduation fee for certificates. So, $1,250 residency waiver, $100 fee, $610 minimum cost for 6 courses at SDC.

I won’t say that a certificate is useless for obtaining employment but I suspect that ~$2,000 would be better applied elsewhere.
(07-27-2020, 08:29 AM)tallpilot Wrote: They now have a $100 graduation fee for certificates. So, $1,250 residency waiver, $100 fee, $610 minimum cost for 6 courses at SDC.

I won’t say that a certificate is useless for obtaining employment but I suspect that ~$2,000 would be better applied elsewhere.

I agree. An undergrad certificate isn't terribly useful unless you already have a bachelor's degree, and even then it doesn't really add much other than to show you have a bit more experience in a specific academic discipline. I see them a bit like a minor in the context of a college degree.

Personally, I think the time and cost spent working on an undergrad cert could be better spent working on getting a start on a master's degree. But that isn't what the OP was asking about.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • rpmranger, StoicJ
1250$ seems to be good price. How much for Associate degree?
------------------

(07-27-2020, 02:31 PM)Merlin Wrote: I agree. An undergrad certificate isn't terribly useful unless you already have a bachelor's degree, and even then it doesn't really add much other than to show you have a bit more experience in a specific academic discipline. I see them a bit like a minor in the context of a college degree.

Personally, I think the time and cost spent working on an undergrad cert could be better spent working on getting a start on a master's degree. But that isn't what the OP was asking about.

Let's just say that I received 8 credits from the military in electronics, wanted to complete something I really wanted and none of my state's college were taking the credits, and it was online. It took 1 semester off my GI Bill at 4 - 3cr classes. I owe it to the military so I respect the profession. Tried translating it to something I could practice, and enjoy.

I have an AA in liberal arts, a AS in business, and now, if I pay the waiver, an electronics certificate.

I've spent a total of $24K, so I'm not too pissed.... could have easily gone to ones that cost twice to four times that.

I'm aware that some people can do it for heck of a lot cheaper, but going back to school in your late 20's, I wanted to take advantage of in-class classes.

Anyway, it's more for the joy of learning, at this point. It is going to be on my death certificate... maybe my family could say, nice! At least he tried!

They are mostly about the interests I had, wanted to learn a little about what I wanted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AmIaPsycho's post:
  • akr680
Is this $1250 NEW??? I have not seen that before.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
I would not pay $1250 residency waiver just to get a certificate. I think the residency waiver for the Bachelors degree will cover the Associates and also the Certificates. I highly recommend and suggest that when you're taking the Certs/Associates, to graduate the same time as the Bachelors to off-set the price and also just to pay the one time graduation fee.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-28-2020, 01:17 PM)akr680 Wrote: 1250$ seems to be good price. How much for Associate degree?

The associate's degree and bachelor's degree cost the same $2800 fee.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • akr680

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,046 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,384 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 1,573 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,126 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 619 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU residency waiver dbrown2258 22 1,778 09-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,090 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 713 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
  Paying Residency Waiver awildefish 17 1,488 05-06-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency requirement for 2nd TESU degree TopHatWombat 7 703 05-04-2023, 04:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP