Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples
I've seen them too, but the ones I've seen are from "newer" individuals entering the field, and they only have 1-2 jobs in total.
For the last 17-18 years, I've only worked for 4 companies, the latest one for 9 years and the one before 7.5 years.
My first two jobs I rarely have on my resume, even though all the "job" roles are similar. I read on techexams often.
Some resumes/CV's are great, others are too lengthy with "repetitive" duties or accomplishments in positions they've worked.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The general rule is that two pages are fine if you are more experienced. I've gotten plenty of interviews with two-page resumes.

I no longer do follow-ups because government agencies tend to not care and don't know how to respond to them. I can't wait until cover letters go the way of the dinosaur. I've applied to jobs that required a lengthy application, resume, and cover letter or letter of interest. Talk about overkill.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:The general rule is that two pages are fine if you are more experienced. I've gotten plenty of interviews with two-page resumes.

I no longer do follow-ups because government agencies tend to not care and don't know how to respond to them. I can't wait until cover letters go the way of the dinosaur. I've applied to jobs that required a lengthy application, resume, and cover letter or letter of interest. Talk about overkill.

At some point in your career, when you have 10, 15, 20+ years of experience, and you've moved up the ladder, it's practically impossible to get down to just a single page.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ideas Wrote:They prefer people who only had 1-2 jobs in the past many years. It is definitely easier to do a 1 page if you were more stable with employment. But I saw someone with a lot of impressive stuff who condensed his into 1 page.

As someone who worked in HR, companies do not prefer people who have had only 1-2 jobs. That's silly. Especially in the Silicon Valley where I worked, this would be damn near impossible to find. Many times the best way to get upward mobility is to leave a company and go somewhere else. Even if you leave for more money (and it can be a BIG jump), many times it comes with a change in job title (like Sales Engineer to Senior Sales Engineer to Staff Engineer, just by changing companies - basically same job duties, but better title and pay with each change).

And, even if you have "stable" employment (which I'm going to say is more than 3 years in a job), I would not be impressed if someone worked somewhere for 10 years and didn't move up the ladder and take on additional or new responsibilities in that time. If you are doing the exact same thing today that you did when you started 10 years ago, there's probably something wrong with you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:At some point in your career, when you have 10, 15, 20+ years of experience, and you've moved up the ladder, it's practically impossible to get down to just a single page.

That's exactly what I was wondering and thinking as well, with too much experience or jobs under someone's belt, how can you fit that into a page!

dfrecore Wrote:As someone who worked in HR, companies do not prefer people who have had only 1-2 jobs. That's silly. Especially in the Silicon Valley where I worked, this would be damn near impossible to find. Many times the best way to get upward mobility is to leave a company and go somewhere else. Even if you leave for more money (and it can be a BIG jump), many times it comes with a change in job title (like Sales Engineer to Senior Sales Engineer to Staff Engineer, just by changing companies - basically same job duties, but better title and pay with each change).

And, even if you have "stable" employment (which I'm going to say is more than 3 years in a job), I would not be impressed if someone worked somewhere for 10 years and didn't move up the ladder and take on additional or new responsibilities in that time. If you are doing the exact same thing today that you did when you started 10 years ago, there's probably something wrong with you.

This post is helpful as well, an example is myself, when I started off, it was just sales/customer service at a retail computer shop.
Moved up to one of the wholesalers who asked me to join his firm, jump ship and was there for a while before I decided to jump again.
Essentially, each jump, I went to another similar job but with better pay/benefits, vacation time, etc. All in all, the job titles changed too.
Along with it the roles changed, from tech analyst to tier 2 to trainer, etc. Finally settled on the current job, I like it very much...
Main reason I am going for a degree is to get into a management position, but kinda scared as "managers" have a higher turnover.

(06-13-2017, 07:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: others are too lengthy with "repetitive" duties or accomplishments in positions they've worked.

There's a reason for that.

Resumes used to be something you built once, because you were with one company forever, an exception being academics and people in the legal field that needed to continually demonstrate their body of accumulated work.

Now, resumes are an entire field to themselves. I've made money making these things for people; I don't judge myself on the money I've made, but their success rate (whether or not the resume got them 'looked at').

There are multiple resume styles, and you should 'tune' your resume for the specific place / position you are applying. One generic resume is 1990's tech.

If you do a basic chronological, and turn that in on USAJOBS, you'll never ever be rated. There are very specific ways to word and structure a federal resume, because the BirdDog ATS is the only thing that will even evaluate you at the first step, and if you don't hit those key metrics, you may be overqualified in real life, but the Dog will bury you.

That's why you may see resumes with jobs that all read the same. They are bulking up a KSA that is in the listing requirements. Say they want someone at a Federal park to handle money. You need to show some depth in it, so you dig in each of your previous jobs and find something related to money handling, and staying as close as possible to the job requirement's wording, you word yours that way.

Lot of gaming involved, I haven't done much of it this year, and even being Best Qualified won't push you into Referred status.

Close by saying that a business card gets a few seconds consideration; it's designed to pique them enough to request a resume. A resume gets about fifteen seconds consideration; it is (should be) designed to get them to want to actually talk to you. A cover letter / LoI has its' place; when you are submitting a package, they just want an executive overview - they ain't going through all that right then.

A resume that answers all their questions doesn't make them want you to come in. Make your resume want to know more about you, not like a drivers' license. In my opinion, anyway
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(06-11-2017, 05:59 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes, it has become very time consuming because more and more companies have you fill out online forms. On some of them, you also upload a resume.

Also, a lot of companies expect your resume to be only 1 page.

I agree with you! This online application form is taking so much time. You gotta fill up so many boxes plus, in the end, you will still be required to attach your resume. argh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elon Must Be Smoking Something. Twitter Gets Rid of Blue Bird Logo for the Letter X LevelUP 18 1,413 08-25-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Resume advise Rustydroid 3 1,534 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,091 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,047 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 2,564 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 6,356 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 5,278 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep